Microwave ovens

What's Hot

Comments

• Foster said:
    Ive had my panasonic microwave 30 years,, it was an engagement present from someone. it still works brilliantly, not sure if its still safe but we still use it most days
    My mum bought a panasonic one in 1980 - it's a terrific colour scheme of different browns. The different functions on it are (and the fact it's still going strong) one of the reasons she's never replaced it.

Found the receipt for it a few years back, it cost her £300!
    I wouldn't give that for a microwave oven today! :o
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Seriously try the waveguide cover first. Completely solved our issue and at about £3 definitely fell into the category of economical to repair :) example below just make sure you buy the right shape for your microwave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @BRISTOL86 good thought, man! Will measure up when I get home this evening. Thanks :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9777
    Foster said:

My mum bought a panasonic one in 1980 - it's a terrific colour scheme of different browns. The different functions on it are (and the fact it's still going strong) one of the reasons she's never replaced it.

Was it from Gas Station Microwaves?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Don't forget to remove the magnets and copper coil from the old MW before it goes to the scrapper. Supermarket specials for £29.99 and live with the shorter usable life.

• ESBlonde said:
    Don't forget to remove the magnets and copper coil from the old MW before it goes to the scrapper. Supermarket specials for £29.99 and live with the shorter usable life.

yep that's about right. works out to cheaper than a pint per year so long as it lasts for 10 years :)
  • I'm another who just didn't bother. Our old microwave was plumbed in. We moved and started thinking about a replacement.  We realised we only used it to defrost frozen food or reheat cold black coffee so we never replaced it. 5 years on, it's not missed. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    p90fool said:
    I think you're overthinking this. 

Just walk into Tesco, buy a microwave oven. Go home.  
    Sainsbury's here, although the logic and price remain the same.  In fact it was only the supermarket cheapies which met my strict requirements of having only two mechanical controls and no pointless 178-different-frozen-turkey-programmes bullshit.

I think the current one's about to enter its sixth year working just fine.
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    Foster said:
    Ive had my panasonic microwave 30 years,, it was an engagement present from someone. it still works brilliantly, not sure if its still safe but we still use it most days

I wouldn't give that for a microwave oven today! :o
    Of course you wouldn't, but if the average price of a microwave was £300 and it was a fairly new gizmo you'd pay it.
  • @Foster I'd probably wait for the price to come down!

The cheap-at-the-supermarket logic got the better of me (again). IIRC 10 years ago it was £30 at Argos. Today it was £35 for a similar product at Sainsburys. A £5 increase in 10 years ain't so bad, especially as I was in the supermarket for buying other stuff anyway. I still think I'll try the replacement waveguide cover (at that price I'd be silly not to) and if that works then I've got a spare µwave on hand (hoarding again).
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    My favourite cooking device ever was a combination oven... 

Grill heaed up super fast, cooked evenly and crisped things just right, before cooling down at the blink of an eye
    Oven was fast to heatup - never pre-heated it for anything and was never dissappointed, 5 degree temp incriments 
    Microwave had adjustable power...
    Whole thing was incredibly easy to clean, and was (JUST) big enough for a reasonable sized trukey.

parents sold it when we moved as the place had a built in microwave and oven - both were worse at everything, then we couldn't find the same model... much regret.

It was a panasonic ... just found they do one that also is a food steamer ... tasty steamy foods... tempting
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited February 2018
    Mine got a bit messy (my own fault) and recently started making odd noises. It is about 10 years old. Cleaned it and it still makes odd noises with flashes of light accompanied by small thunder. Have I killed it? Any suggestions for a cheap replacement (2 dials only 1 for power and another for time)?
    I have a Curry's own brand MATSUI microwave oven which is now 11 years old.. I think I paid £20 for it. It has two rotary controls - one for Power Setting (left permanently on High), and one for Time. It is rated at 700 watts. Quite possibly the simplest microvave oven to use, especially for the elderly who are technophobes.

Most food cooking instructions are based on an 800 watts oven. However, it is not something to  worry about, as new ovens start at 800 watts, anyway. 

Check Tescos also.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11519

We got a Sharp one from Costco last year.  Seems pretty good.

Costco will buy one model in bulk, and then put it on offer at a really good price.  I compared prices online and they were about £15 cheaper than anywhere else on that model.

• ClashmanClashman Frets: 176
    I had an ancient Panasonic Microwave oven, it kept playing up, later on in its life
    and eventually after a bang and a cloud of smoke I thought I would remove it
    from its position on top of my fridge only for it to reveal a huge hole in my freezer
    which it had kindly blasted through and into..replaced the fridge but don't have a microwave
    now.Just given up on halogen ovens after the second one set on fire .. 
  • The £35 cheapie in Sainsburys is, with the exception of cosmetic details such as the colour of the mains flex and the markings around the dials, exactly the same as the £30 cheapie I got from Argos 10 years ago.

And I've managed to get the wave guide cover out of the old one for use as a pattern for when I get the material to make a new wave guide. Then I'll be able to defrost my sausages while nuking up my baked beans :)
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Seriously try the waveguide cover first. Completely solved our issue and at about £3 definitely fell into the category of economical to repair :) example below just make sure you buy the right shape for your microwave.

I got a 'card' that you cut to size. Unfortunately it kinked a bit as I tried to slot it in, but it works. Now I can defrost my sausages while nuking up my baked beans ;)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5027
    ESBlonde said:
    Don't forget to remove the magnets and copper coil from the old MW before it goes to the scrapper.

Why bother? What use are they?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Rocker said:
    ESBlonde said:
    Don't forget to remove the magnets and copper coil from the old MW before it goes to the scrapper.

Why bother? What use are they?
    They are worth more for scrap value on their own?
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    BRISTOL86 said:

I got a 'card' that you cut to size. Unfortunately it kinked a bit as I tried to slot it in, but it works. Now I can defrost my sausages while nuking up my baked beans ;)
    Result ! 
  • @BRISTOL86 yeah, fanx, mate :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom