First day of Nursery..

What's Hot
LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
Took my spawn to nursery for her first full day today..

Mrs.L from next week onward will be teaching at uni on Thursdays so we thought get her in a week early to get used to it while we're on hand. She's done a couple of taster sessions which she loved.

So we walked her there, went in the building, quite happy, running backwards and forwards between us and the breakfast on offer. Then something clicks. Her face drops and sniffles start. She goes into the room with the nursery lady and the door shuts. We stay in reception, i fill in a couple of forms and we make our way out.

We can hear her screaming. As we are going out the door we look back and can see her face jammed against the glass of the inner door with a look of shear betrayal on her! It's one of those fire door with a thin strip of glass down one size, so looks quite silly :)

Wifey called them when we got home, reported that she had eaten breakfast but still crying on and off. 

Called again a bit later, and she is currently running around with a spoon. 

and the moral of this story: I got into the office late and will now have to work tomorrow afternoon to make up time. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited February 2018
    They're wee buggers. Mine would cry as soon as we got within sight of the nursery building & beg to be taken home... Then continue to cry till I'd gone out of sight from the window. The moment I disappeared they'd stop & start playing. 
    The staff filmed the transition for me once. 

Nursery is good for the kids (they learn social skills & will adapt to school more easily) and for you (time off from parenting). 
    Shame it costs SO much. MrsLostSon has effectively worked for free for 5years now- her salary JUST covers the nursery fees. 

Ps- There's no better day off than one where your kids are in nursery. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    There was a lad in the same nursery as our daughter, his mum worked with my wife. We dropped ours off after her in a morning. Every time (not every day, mind) we dropped ours off, over a two year period,  that lad was bawling his eyes out..
    Turned out alright!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    Mine adapted really quickly... but has bouts on and off even a year on where he's clingy and doesn't wanna go, and other days when he can't get in there any faster. Kinda like a real grown up I guess. :)

But I do think it's good for him, and better than if he were just with a childminder or being looked after at home "alone" full time.

It is too expensive but once they turn 3 you'll get either pro-rated 15 free hours or 30 hours free a month depending on the nursery and your circumstances. Our nursery doesn't do the 30 hour programme for anything less than full-time attendees because it's not economical, but we end up with 11 free hours from the council. It knocked £200 off the bill overnight, which was very helpful.
  • As a father of 2 little buggers all I can say is... congrats!

Now's the time for some serious guitar practice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    edited February 2018
    Mate its heartbreaking walking away from a crying child. Not so much a screaming baby at 3 in the morning.
    we were lucky, my daughter loves nursery. sometimes she can be a bit grumpy but its all good.
    The act of betrayal i felt as an infant was so treacherous i started to kick my mother in ankles! (wingeing little git).
    When she came to pick me up, I didnt want to go home i was having such a good time. I think i was a bit older than your child as i didnt go to nursery as such just the infants school.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Yours won’t cry every day, by the way! ;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
     :)

Didn't quite expect all the screaming tbh, after the taster sessions that staff all commented how well she had transitioned. Absolutely fine both days, no crying or anything. 

As a father of 2 little buggers all I can say is... congrats!

Now's the time for some serious guitar practice!
    Haha i wish! unfortunately work gets in the way :)
  • Mine started at 8 months, loved it from the first day and after a few weeks acted like he had been there for years. Don't know where the laddie gets his confidence from but it was a massive relief. My lass cried when dropping him off but the youngun didn't.

hopefully your youngster will settle in quickly, I have seen some kids who have been there over 6 months in tears every single time I have been in.  Must be stressful for the parents and staff. 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1872
    Had similar experiences with my two. You/they get used to it. It's hard but the less attention the tears and screams get the less of a habit it will be.
    You might feel bad now, but wait for the day you drop yours off crying, and then other kids start copying and you realise your child was seed to half a dozen crying and wailing children, several under pressure carers and the other miffed parents. It's a good fun!
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • ^The rapid drop off is a must. 
    I'm only in the building long enough to get my daughters coat off & to pass on any info to the staff. Then I wave goodbye & get out of there. 

If you hang around it only gets worse for the staff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Common problem. We were lucky, all of our 4 were OK at being left, they were happy to just go and do stuff with other kids.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    With our younger one, we had the opposite problem.  My wife was quite emotional about her starting nursery but she just went straight in and started playing and I don't think she even said bye to my wife.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11422
    I can still remember my first day at nursery, even though it was an ice age ago.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    My son is 5 weeks old and we're already having to look round and get him a place booked at a local nursery for when he's 9 months old and my wife goes back to work. 
    Wifey picked her up at 4.15ish. She had a blast apparently, but did cry when she put her down to put her coat on. Guess she thought she was being left again! 
    Very clingy tonight, which Is actually quite nice, lots of cuddles for dada :)

How you getting on @joneve ? Little one treating you well?
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    My youngest is 5 in April and has only recently stopped crying when I leave for work. It's impossible for me to drop her at school as she breaks her heart. Totally different story with the missus though, hardly raises an eyebrow if she goes out.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Wifey picked her up at 4.15ish. She had a blast apparently, but did cry when she put her down to put her coat on. Guess she thought she was being left again! 

Yea, mostly good. Had a bit of a long night last night (my wife moreso than me!) - she's full of cold and already drained and he's been really restless the last few days, we think because he's got a shitload of wind and/or constipation, as he is farting A LOT. So I think he's generally just a bit uncomfortable lately and it came to a head last night where he just wouldn't be put down, so wife's running on empty currently :(...but most nights we are getting a couple of 3-4 hour uninterrupted sleeps between feeds, so it could be A LOT worse, he's generally prettynd a good! Plus he's just start smiling, which helps make you forget about stuff! 

glad to hear your little one got on well! We found a nursery we really like and they have no availability from October onwards (when we need it), which is absolutely gutting. 
    joneve said:
    LuttiS said:

Yea, mostly good. Had a bit of a long night last night (my wife moreso than me!) - she's full of cold and already drained and he's been really restless the last few days, we think because he's got a shitload of wind and/or constipation, as he is farting A LOT. So I think he's generally just a bit uncomfortable lately and it came to a head last night where he just wouldn't be put down, so wife's running on empty currently :(...but most nights we are getting a couple of 3-4 hour uninterrupted sleeps between feeds, so it could be A LOT worse, he's generally prettynd a good! Plus he's just start smiling, which helps make you forget about stuff! 

glad to hear your little one got on well! We found a nursery we really like and they have no availability from October onwards (when we need it), which is absolutely gutting. 
    3-4 hrs is great between feeds.. i think there is a lot of myth about sleeping babies.. they don't sleep.. :)
    Ours was really windy when young too, turns out she allergic to cows milk, and wifey having a cup of tea set her off after each feed. 
    The smiling really does help though!

Sorry to hear about the nursery - there will be others that you'll like though :)
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3087

If I could rewind the last seventeen years and spend even more time with my kids, I would - particularly when they were small.
    My wife felt the same and there was no way she was going back to work until both boys were in full time education.

I'm sitting here now, whiling away the hours until my youngest comes in from secondary school - we have such a laugh together.

I am lucky to have been a shift worker so did spend a lot of the time at home with them when they were small and I have fond memories of that time - but wish it could have been more.  Seriously, don't wish the time away because it goes so quickly. At Christmas time, I was quite envious of the people with wee ones as they still get to do the "proper" christmas thing, unlike in our house where it's all money and clothes now.