Changing careers - Any advice?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I changed career in my late 20's - moved from being a careers adviser (funnily enough) to working in IT.  Absolutely no regrets.  

While we're law firm bashing, I've had some of my least pleasant IT moments working with/interviewing for law firms.  Even compared with Banking, Law firms are up their own collective arses.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1214
    edited February 2018
    I resigned from my job as a personal injury lawyer last week after 14 years at my current firm and 21 years in PI. Similar reasons to those noted earlier in this thread, but in personal injury you have the added bonus of being despised by virtually everyone. Fixed fees have meant that the only way to make money is to do as many cases as possible in as little time as possible. Hence there are now two of us doing more work than when there were five of us in the department. Fixed fees are on the cards for clinical negligence so I would recommend getting out of that. I am very fortunate in that Mrs F is a lawyer in a non-contentious area, gets paid nearly double what I get and loves her job. The upshot is that I will hopefully be looking for something part time to combine with household duties and looking after the kids! 
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom