Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The future

What's Hot
The future .. from the guys whose predications have ben proven to be accurate. Glad I'll be dead soon ...

https://brightside.me/wonder-curiosities/how-our-world-will-change-by-2099-according-to-a-futurologist-whose-predictions-come-true-in-86-of-cases-439810/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    edited February 2018 tFB Trader

Well i havent read it yet.  But the title of the page says "the world will change by 2099"..  REALLY!! no shit Sherlock!!!

People have been predicting the end of the world as we know it ever since we have been in the world as we know it.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16152
    I read it but I don't understand very much of it
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Er, read his Wikipedia entry referenced in the article. It takes a different view of his success rate...
  • Rabs said:

People have been predicting the end of the world as we know it ever since we have been in the world as we know it.

Notably REM 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nanotech is the scariest, if it becomes feasible and AI or some psycho controls it they could just hit a switch and turn all humans and animals to grey goo.  
  • Rabs said:

Notably REM 
    And Michael Stipe feels fine about it, so who are we to argue?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited February 2018
    Mind uploading will become possible. People will be able to live in the internet, projecting their bodies in both physical and virtual reality.

Fair enough, you can upload a copy of your mind, but it won't be you, so why bother? What is the advantage to you to do so? Imagine the scams when you also get AI capable of passing the Turing test, and you get "mis-sold" uploads where it looks good enough to be a copy, but isn't really..

The real issue I see with all of that 2099 stuff is power. We need to draw significant amounts from the Earth's core, or even better, from the Sun.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72635
    Make hundreds of far-fetched predictions.

If a few of them turn out to not be too far from the mark, you’re hailed as a visionary genius.

If none of them do, you’ll be quietly forgotten about.

No-one ever works out how many predictions are made which are wrong...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15620
    I much prefer the fire and brimstone predictions of our evangelical brethren. Your future looks too bright and shiny for my tastes.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Well I'm 43 so assuming I don't get eaten by a bear or hit by a meteorite I may live to around 2055 so sounds like I'm going to be immortal and look young forever, until I get eaten by a machine...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    munckee said:
    Well I'm 43 so assuming I don't get eaten by a bear or hit by a meteorite I may live to around 2055 so sounds like I'm going to be immortal and look young forever, until I get eaten by a machine...
    Killed by a blue wall of death - Windows 10000.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30314
    That bloke sounds like he's the life and soul of the party.
    Glad I won't be around.
    What a load of 'obvious' predictions. Can't believe he gets paid for these 'snapshots of the future'.
    Also, he contradicts himself several times.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ICBM said:
    Make hundreds of far-fetched predictions.

If a few of them turn out to not be too far from the mark, you’re hailed as a visionary genius.

If none of them do, you’ll be quietly forgotten about.

No-one ever works out how many predictions are made which are wrong...
    I can just see you at a kids party when the magician comes on and wows the kids with a simple trick. And then you wipe the smiles from their little faces by saying "that's not magic its just a trick - I'll tell you how he did it" .. Mr Grumpy .. :-)

It's just a bit of fun .. I've been waiting for flying cars for years and a pill that lets you eat what you like and not get fat or go bald .. simple things really.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2942
    tFB Trader
    Skimmed article - didn't say when I'm getting my hoverboard - clicked link about photobombing animals.
  • quarky said:
    Mind uploading will become possible. People will be able to live in the internet, projecting their bodies in both physical and virtual reality.

I very much doubt this.  But my name is Thomas, after all.

I just hope if it does happen, my mind takes up a reasonable amount of space, would hate to be stuck on a 31/2 inch floppy with siraxeman.......

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30314
    I for one can't wait for them to develop the technology that allows us to see a photo from space that proves conclusively that the Earth is indeed completely FLAT.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4610
    Oh man, the future...

I get to leave this here - top song

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    I just hope if it does happen, my mind takes up a reasonable amount of space, would hate to be stuck on a 31/2 inch floppy with siraxeman.......
    Don't do yourself down. axeman's intellect would fit comfortably on a punched card.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Sambostar said:

what's Bryan Ferry doing with that chicken?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>