Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar won't tune

What's Hot
OwainOwain Frets: 13
edited February 2018 in Help & Feedback
Bought a guitar off here last week, I also bought a tuner. For some reason 2 of the strings won't even come up on the tuner when I try to tune them. I can tell they're out of tune, they're clearly out of tune, but they won't even come up on the tuner when I hit those 2 strings. All the others tune fine, but those 2 are a problem. Have I been sold a broken one which needs new strings?/does this guitar need new strings? it was about £50 under the market price (bought off this site). 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited February 2018

Maybe those two strings are slipping on the tuner posts?

You could try turning the tuner peg normally and just put a finger on the top of the tuning post to see if it's rotating (that is, to see if the gears are working.)

If the gears are working then I'd guess it's possibly a string slipped off the tuner post...

• dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    You don’t have the tuner set to bass mode by mistake do you?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7085
    tFB Trader
    What type of guitar is it?
    What type of tuner are you using?

Have you tried tuning to the other strings to get them to pitch?

PS I'd always fit new strings to any guitar I'd just bought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2802
    One of my little electronic tuners doesn’t do a good job when it’s miles out.  So it might be the electronic tuner that’s the initial porblem

do you know how to tune using the 5th fret of the adjacent (lower pitch) string ?
    (except the 4th fret of the G string - the 4th string)

apologies if teaching you you to suck eggs etc :)

• A string that is too far out of tune won't register on most(probably all) tuners.  SteveRobinson makes a good point that will test this, tuning to the other strings by ear.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• OwainOwain Frets: 13
    It's a PRS SE One sold to me by JerkMoans who didn't claim any problems with it

The tuner was a clip on Tiger Chromatic Guitar Tuner

What do you mean with tuning to the other strings to get them on pitch? 

It's just annoying if I have to get new strings. Like this guy claimed there was no problems with it, if he'd have been straight with me and told me the strings were dodgy or whatever, I'd have been cool. But lying to con a newbie ain't right. 

The tuner is working fine and everything, it's not the tuner. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A string that is too far out of tune won't register on most(probably all) tuners.  SteveRobinson makes a good point that will test this, tuning to the other strings by ear.
    So the strings could be fine? just that it's wayyy out of tune? 
    Just don't know what direction to turn it to get it on the tuner, scared of breaking the strings. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24851
    edited February 2018
    Owain said:
    It's a PRS SE One sold to me by JerkMoans who didn't claim any problems with it

The tuner was a clip on Tiger Chromatic Guitar Tuner

It's just annoying if I have to get new strings. Like this guy claimed there was no problems with it, if he'd have been straight with me and told me the strings were dodgy or whatever, I'd have been cool. But lying to con a newbie ain't right. 

The tuner is working fine and everything, it's not the tuner. 
    You do know strings occasionally need replacing?

Calling a member out for lying and conning you is exceptionally poor form. It’s highly likely to be a issue which is easily resolved....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    aye, it might be an idea to look up how you tune a guitar before accusing anyone!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You do know strings occasionally need replacing?

Calling a member out for lying and conning you is exceptionally poor form. It’s highly likely to be a issue which is easily resolved....
    Yeah, but not gonna let someone walk all over me and take advantage just cos I'm new to the game. 

Yeah, it might be something that can be resolved easily and I may be overreacting, yeah. But I have anxiety, and am going through a rough patch at the moment, so maybe overreacting yeah. But I still won't let some joke of a person walk all over me. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2802
    Type “E concert pitch” into google, and there will be a YouTube clip that will play the sound of E

that will be either your bottom or top string, so try and get one of them close to that pitch

that will be a good starting point

the seller possibly loosened / detuned the strings for travel, 
    I'm willing to bet good money there is nothing wrong with the guitar or strings................
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    sev112 said:
    Type “E concert pitch” into google, and there will be a YouTube clip that will play the sound of E

that will be either your bottom or top string, so try and get one of them close to that pitch

that will be a good starting point

the seller possibly loosened / detuned the strings for travel, 
    I will do that, thank you
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3347
    Try tuning to the fifth fret, you’ll not break a string if you keep checking how tight it is compared to others. 

So fret the thickest string (E) on the 5th fret and tune the next thickest string (A) to match that note. 
    Fret the A string on the 5th fret and tune the next string (D) to match that note. 

Fret the D string on the 5th fret and tune the next string (G) to match that note. 

Fret the G string on the 4th fret and tune the next string (B) to match that note

lastly fret the B string on the 5th fret and tune the last string to match. 
    grungebob said:
    Try tuning to the fifth fret, you’ll not break a string if you keep checking how tight it is compared to others. 

So fret the thickest string (E) on the 5th fret and tune the next thickest string (A) to match that note. 
    Fret the A string on the 5th fret and tune the next string (D) to match that note. 

Fret the D string on the 5th fret and tune the next string (G) to match that note. 

Fret the G string on the 4th fret and tune the next string (B) to match that note

lastly fret the B string on the 5th fret and tune the last string to match. 
    Thank you, I will do that. Thank you for your help  =)
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8811
    Just seen this. 

You are aware that the guitar has locking tuners? 

For all sorts of very good reasons relating to neck tension and the risk of damage I loosened all the strings off before shipping to you. 

You quite sure you're using the tuners the right way?  Plenty of information on the web about them.  See eg:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/guitar-essentials-are-you-using-locking-tuners-the-wrong-way

If you want to chat further you have my details.  Might have been nice if you contacted me first before engaging in public histrionics, but let's see if we can get things sorted without any need for any more of the above, yeah?

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • and get a better tuner than a clip on tiger tuner
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2416
    Amazing foresight by @JerkMoans ; when selecting his username...... 
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14592
    edited February 2018
    In no particular order.
    1. The stock machineheads on PRS SE series guitars are Jin Ho imitations of Gotoh or Schaller sealed gear designs. I invariably find slop between the string post and the hex nut "sleeve". There can also be gear lash. Both of these aspects can contribute to instability once at pitch. Neither of them prevents the strings getting to pitch to begin with.
    2. How stable the strings are depends on how they have been wrapped around the posts. String tension can be used to hold the string firmly in place, preventing slippage.
    3. The Tiger tuner retails for a fiver. It is unlikely to rival Petersen strobe devices. If it is battery powered, the first thing to check is the battery/pile. 
    4. Strings not registering with a vibration sensing electronic tuner indicates a fault with the tuner rather than the guitar. 

The obvious tests to perform are to try the Tiger tuner on a different guitar and to try tuning the PRS SE One using a different tuner.

Owain said:
    Just don't know what direction to turn it to get it on the tuner, scared of breaking the strings. 
    On a right-handed PRS SE, turn the E, A and D anti-clockwise to tighten. Turn the G, B and E clockwise.

This can only go wrong if the previous owner had wrapped a string on the wrong way around the string post. In my opinion, the vendor can be trusted to get this right.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8811
    Owain said:
    Have I been sold a broken one which needs new strings?/does this guitar need new strings?
    No.  The strings were all fine when they left me.  As @SteveRobinson said, many people fit new strings when they get a guitar but it shouldn't be necessary unless one has broken.  They do break, and have to be regarded as a consumable item, but they weren't broken when they went into the box, or presumably when you PM'd me upon receipt telling me how happy you were with the guitar and how much you'd been playing it.

Owain said:

So where do we stand on making wild accusations?

Owain said:

It's a pretty common means of tuning one string to another, so bottom E fretted at the 5th fret should give you an A to match the open A to, and so forth.

Owain said:
    Yeah, but not gonna let someone walk all over me and take advantage just cos I'm new to the game. 

Yeah, it might be something that can be resolved easily and I may be overreacting, yeah. But I have anxiety, and am going through a rough patch at the moment, so maybe overreacting yeah. But I still won't let some joke of a person walk all over me. 
    And neither should you.  And neither are you.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer