Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Price of Crisps

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31936
    Sporky said:
    p90fool said:
    Do adults actually eat crisps? 
    Yes.

Grown-ups, on the other hand, are too busy looking down on anyone who doesn't meet their boring standards.

Haha fair play, it just seems wasteful to eat a small bag of utter shit with the same calories as a couple of platefuls of good food. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4069
    57Deluxe said:

So, if you saw a bowl of rings on a counter and decided to pop one in your mouth only to be asked for 12p - - would you??

I dunno.  See, if I was at that garden party at Buckingham Palace and in front of me were the Sainsbury's onion rings all laid out on the counter and then the Queen asks me for 12p I'd find that quite funny.  I'd probably have another one just so I could hear her say, "Another 12p please."  I'd probably eat quite a few before I got bored of that.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16960
    p90fool said:
    Sporky said:
    p90fool said:
    Yes.

Grown-ups, on the other hand, are too busy looking down on anyone who doesn't meet their boring standards.

Haha fair play, it just seems wasteful to eat a small bag of utter shit with the same calories as a couple of platefuls of good food. 
    I would have the crisps, and a couple of plates of good food :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I blame Hilary Clinton. Or Wayne Rooney.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15861
    crisps are proof of god's existence and that he wants us to be happy. Technically this is true of all fried foods, but I bent the rules a tad.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited February 2018
    Going by your numbers that makes a multi pack of these £8.64. I think it's 1.2p per ring :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Seems churlish to complain about porosity when there's a gaping big hole in the middle of them.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Reminds me of an old flatmate who regularly devoured a big bag of Kettle Chips while watching football on Sky of an evening. Until I looked at the weight on the packet and pointed out to him that those bags were the equivalent of six normal bags of crisps. Didn't even buy one after that day!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    After Brexit when you open the packet there will be no onion rings. In their place will be a note from Mrs May saying the money you've just spent will go to the NHS (after some deductions) and that the lack of salty onion rings will improve your health and ensure you're not clogging up A&E as an obese mass of wobbly fat. The Tories are working hard to save the NHS by removing fatty and unhealthy foods. And remember to recycle the wrapper.

PS: it also means we don't have to buy onions from the evil EU.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2670
    edited February 2018
    57Deluxe said:
    Turns out there are only 12 rings per bag with no shards. In a multi pack of 6 this equates to each ring costing 12p ea

That suggests a small bag of onion rings costs £1.44 (and £8.64 for the multi-pack) which is something I find implausible, despite being used to London prices. You could probably get a multi-pack of 6 packets of ready salted crisps for £1.44 if you shopped around, though I'd agree that these days you'd get about four crisps to the packet.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5009
    ICBM said:
    I think if you re-arrange the contents slightly differently from the packet illustration and nibble bits off one or two you can make them spell 'Brexit'...
    It's a convenient excuse for suppliers to put their prices up.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    p90fool said:
    Sporky said:
    p90fool said:
    Yes.

Ah, sorry. Been around a lot of grown-ups this week, and ones I can't be as flippant around as I'd like.

Crisps aren't my first port of call. Mini cheddars are where it's at. Easier to stack them into neat little piles.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited February 2018
    Shocked by this tbh. The BOE need to raise interest rates to the point where most of us teeter on the brink of repossession, to choke off demand for these outrageously priced snacks and bring their prices back into line.... 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Outrageous when you think you can get a large onion for under 20p.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    edited February 2018
    The mistake you're making (other than your inability to figure out basic arithmetic) is not buying the Happy Shopper onion rings. 

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51GI3U8xWQL._SX385_.jpg

They're the best I've had and you can get two 75g bags for £1.00.   I'm not sure how many onion rings you get in a bag, but it's an awful lot more than 12.   In fact, I'm going to make it my mission to find some today, and count how many....
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    They're the best I've had and you can get two 75g bags for £1.00.   I'm not sure how many onion rings you get in a bag, but it's an awful lot more than 12.   In fact, I'm going to make it my mission to find some today, and count how many....
    Yes! A mission!
    Do it! With the Mission Impossible score playing in the background!
    This message will self destruct etc.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    You haven’t got time to be moaning about crisps when we’re still due an explanation about the Anna Friel thing!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24677
    Damn straight !
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    Mission accomplished.   There are 128 onion rings in two bags of happy shopper..er ..onion rings.  

That works out at 0.78 pence per onion ring.  

That is my contribution to the world, today.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Walkers Grab Bags used to be a decent bet, but all they’ve done now is shrink the standard bag slightly and write ‘Grab Bag’ on it. I’ve no idea how much they cost, I’ve never really noticed - but if they think they’re slipping that resizing nonsense past me then they’re very much mistaken.

My local newsagent sells Wotsit knockoffs, they’re a shade of orange that is simply not found in nature, and they don’t contain a single organic ingredient. They could be made in a lab for all I know and they’re absolutely delicious. 

Also big up for McCoy’s Chip Shop Curry Sauce flavour snacks, utterly divine and a quid for a big bag.