Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A handy de-flubbing trick without needing an EQ pedal

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31935
    p90fool said:
    p90fool said:
    I'm not grasping what "de-flubbing" actually means. Could someone please explain?
    Don't worry, I don't have a clue either. 
    Oh, it’s most definitely a thing and I haven’t imagined it. Possibly onomatopoeic.
    I don't doubt it, I just have no idea what you're talking about.

That’s never stopped me.
    Er, ok, well I'm glad you've cured it, whatever it is. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWynd said:
    I'm not grasping what "de-flubbing" actually means. Could someone please explain?
    Me too. It might help if I understood what 'flubbing' is.
    I’ve taken it to mean what happens when a guitar sound has too much bass and/or not enough treble, often when using distortion of some kind.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1398
    I've always just set everything to give me the maximum amount of treble I want when my vol and tone are on full, then spent more time with the tone knob on 8 when less than 100% treble is needed. 

I can't be the only one?
    Yep. Turn the bass down, probably need to turn gain down a bit too. No flub. All spank and pop.
  • bbill335 said:
    I've always just set everything to give me the maximum amount of treble I want when my vol and tone are on full, then spent more time with the tone knob on 8 when less than 100% treble is needed. 

I can't be the only one?
    Yep. Turn the bass down, probably need to turn gain down a bit too. No flub. All spank and pop.
    Leave off, I’ve only just learnt how to work the volume knob.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Flub off 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    Turn down the bass on a Mesa? I always ran mine with it up full...

:)

OK that was a Trem-o-verb, and it's true that the Mark series don't usually sound good like that, but I've never found one where you need it below about 3 or 4. If I remember I ran my DC-5 with it at 6.

It's only an issue on amps which don't have a big enough power stage or good enough speakers to handle it properly anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• timmysoft said:
    Flub off 
    It’s actually flub bypass
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    By flubby I interpreted that to mean a muddied less distinct tone that struggles to punch through the mix. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • A balanced pickup set could help, assuming you've already adjusted the heights.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Voxman said:
    If you want to deflub, get yourself a BBE Sonic Stomp Maximiser. You won't believe the change and how it adds clarity to cut through the mix.  In simple terms, your guitar amp speakers are inefficient and trying to process all the frequencies thrown at them all at the same time. The BBESSM splits the higher and lower frequencies such that these are hitting your speaker at fractionally different times allowing your speakers to catch their breath so to speak and process the higher and lower frequencies more efficiently. The result is greater clarity and punch.  There are some excellent vids and explanations on YouTube.

It's not an EQ pedal. Once you switch it on you will completely forget it's there and even wonder if it's doing anything...until you switch it off and realise how flubby your sound is without it.  Can be used in the fx loop or direct ... best position will depend on your amp and fx loop.

One of the cleverest and most underrated and essential pedals out there. 
    Wouldn't that only make sense if it was a single short sound? If there's continuous signal then doesn't it take away that idea that the speaker has time to breath?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    thegummy said:i
    Voxman said:
    If you want to deflub, get yourself a BBE Sonic Stomp Maximiser. You won't believe the change and how it adds clarity to cut through the mix.  In simple terms, your guitar amp speakers are inefficient and trying to process all the frequencies thrown at them all at the same time. The BBESSM splits the higher and lower frequencies such that these are hitting your speaker at fractionally different times allowing your speakers to catch their breath so to speak and process the higher and lower frequencies more efficiently. The result is greater clarity and punch.  There are some excellent vids and explanations on YouTube.

It's not an EQ pedal. Once you switch it on you will completely forget it's there and even wonder if it's doing anything...until you switch it off and realise how flubby your sound is without it.  Can be used in the fx loop or direct ... best position will depend on your amp and fx loop.

Wouldn't that only make sense if it was a single short sound? If there's continuous signal then doesn't it take away that idea that the speaker has time to breath?
    Nope ... Check it out and listen to the demos. Here's one

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    A balanced pickup set could help, assuming you've already adjusted the heights.
    That won't help the underlying amp tone.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Voxman said:
    thegummy said:i
    Voxman said:

Nope ... Check it out and listen to the demos. Here's one

I don't doubt the pedal makes a difference but I can't see how that theory could be the reason
  • Voxman said:
    The OP said "The flub in question was when switching between between strat bridge/neck and the in-between positions"
  • Voxman said:
    The OP said "The flub in question was when switching between between strat bridge/neck and the in-between positions"
    To be honest I think that’s a feature of strat pickups generally - positions 2 and 4 with the hollow jangly sound don’t quite cut through a warm overdrive as much as the bridge/neck unless you thin out the bass somehow
  • ...  and I didn’t want to be chasing the pedal and amp treble/bass controls around, but I can just about roll the guitar volume back and lash out in the general direction of the boost footswitch without losing my place in the song.
    A bit of a detour but I can really relate to this part. I find precision knob twiddling and convoluted pedal switching permutations a huge distraction when I'm in mid-flight. Unless there's a natural break in whatever I'm playing I'll avoid it. It's just something I've never really taken to. It wrong foots me more than it should.

I think this is why I find a mid boost on a Strat useful. In a general sense rather than for the problem described here.
  • ...  and I didn’t want to be chasing the pedal and amp treble/bass controls around, but I can just about roll the guitar volume back and lash out in the general direction of the boost footswitch without losing my place in the song.
    A bit of a detour but I can really relate to this part. I find precision knob twiddling and convoluted pedal switching permutations a huge distraction when I'm in mid-flight. Unless there's a natural break in whatever I'm playing I'll avoid it. It's just something I've never really taken to. It wrong foots me more than it should.

I think this is why I find a mid boost on a Strat useful. In a general sense rather than for the problem described here.
    Do you mean active mid boost? I’ve never tried one of those, though both my strat and tele have coil taps on the bridge pickups- they don’t really boost the volume but do certainly fatten up the proceedings, especially at higher volumes. Between the treble bypass cap, coil tap and boost pedal I’ve found I can now cover a surprising amount of ground both tonally and in terms of drive.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4635
    The sonic stomp is a great piece if kit. Really does lift your guitar sound. Although, I do consider it a glorified eq pedal.
  • Do you mean active mid boost? I’ve never tried one of those, though both my strat and tele have coil taps on the bridge pickups...

Yes but it would probably duplicate or at least overlap the coil taps. Admittedly I've only limited experience of coil taps on an Ibanez guitar from some time ago. 

A mid boost has the advantage of being separate and usable in any pickup combination along with level control.

It sounds as if you already have plenty of options within easy reach though. 
    edited February 2018
    DesVegas said:
    The sonic stomp is a great piece if kit. Really does lift your guitar sound. Although, I do consider it a glorified eq pedal.
    It does work very differently to an EQ but also works very well with an EQ pedal although the BBESSM should be placed at the end of the signal chain. Whereas an EQ allows control of frequency bands, the BBESSM adds something else - in addition to providing clearer tone it adds what I can only describe as a more '3D' tone that also makes your tone 'wider/bigger'. It's hard to describe but you can hear it when used with an EQ and you compare each separately & then together. I use the BBESSM after an EQ, both in the FX loop of my Blue Valvetronix and the two together change the amp beyond belief.  The effect is similar with my valve amps too.