Talk Wifi to me: USB versus PCI.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    edited February 2018
    @bridgehouse here's the funny part. My motherboard has a Realtek RTL8111G LAN controller on it. Going by the Asus website, the last driver update for this was V10.2.703.2015 for Win 10 64-bit. Updating the driver through Windows also showed nothing more advanced than that. 

Out of curiosity, I went to the Realtek site. The RTL8111G is listed on there as a PCI Express Ethernet controller with no mention of onboard m/b LAN controllers. The links at the side take you to the GBE family controller drivers and there's a Win 10 auto installer for the PCI-E controller with a version updated January this year. Well, it'd be rude not to try it, yes? 

Installed it, fired up the Trendnet USB adapter, and started running looped audio through Reaper, a looped Morrissey track through VLC, a stream through Youtube, and BBC radio coverage of the Six Nations. 40 minutes in and LatencyMon has reported no problems at all. Not a single dropout whatsoever running all these different audio streams, a marked difference to yesterday when a 5 minute WAV file was suffering from dropouts. 

Short version: blah D
    Whaddaya know, another dodgy driver release for onboard LAN

Glad it worked. If it helps, the powerlan stuff will be a bit quicker, specially when the family are hammering downloads of their favourite YouTube trash. 

I always think it’s worth going to the actual chipset manufacturer for the latest updates as they often don’t get bundled into the main updates. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom