Good problem to have, but I could do with some advice...!

What's Hot
Hi all,

After a very crap start to the year, things are finally starting to look up - and I've got not one but three job offers! However, I'm having a real hard time trying to decide between them, and I could do with some help or opinions from my fellow Fretboarders if you have the time....

Here's a brief rundown of the jobs:

Job A:

- Consultancy for an agency, using one vendor's software (which is pretty rubbish) that I'm already certified in
- Potential to learn other software
- Taken 2 weeks to get an official offer sent to me (still not arrived, told it's coming by weekend)
- Not sure of salary or benefits at the moment, waiting on email

Job B:

- Again, consultancy role but for a vendor direct. Not implementation, it's part of the best practices team
- Learn new software and become the expert in it
- Good salary (above what I'm on now, although way under what I'm told I should be on by my director)
- Great benefits
- Offer has been with me for 2 days
- Potential lack of growth though

Job C:

- A Director of a new practice in the sister company where I work
- Masses of opportunities
- Learning lots of new software (although no confirmation on training budgets etc.)
- Headhunted for the role
- Salary will be 'slightly above' my current
- However, the role is not confirmed by the board yet, and won't be until start of March
- Potentially just blowing smoke up my arse with the details etc. as no official description yet
- Lots of support from the directors and SVP's I know there

So, I really don't know.... Job C sounds amazing, but if I go for that and decline the others, it might not even materialise. Plus, the starting salary sounds like it would be WELL under what that role would normally get. Job B is also great, and a 'fresh start' with great benefits and potential - but not much chance to move up the ladder.

Job A I've pretty much discounted, but thought I'd put it in there!

Anyone else been in this situation? Any advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2825
    Take B, wait for C offer, by which time they will hopefully pay you proper market rate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited February 2018
    Rate each job by "Hassle Factor". Break each HF into components: eg travel-to-work-hassle = distance-to-work/max-distance-willing-to-travel ... travel-time-hassle = travel-time-to-job/max-time-willing-to-travel ... salary-hassle = salary-wanted/salary- offered ... job-keeping-hassle = time-you-want-before-needing-another-job/expected-lifetime-of-job   [edited to ensure HF < 1 is good] ...  operational-hassle = perceived-hassle-of-doing-the-job(score out of 10) etc etc ... weight each parameter by how important it is to you. Ensure each job's HF is calculated on the same terms.

My rules (yours may differ): Never take a job with HF > 50%. If the job you're in reaches HF > 75%, quit.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27502
    edited February 2018
    Ask B for 15% more money, and take it if they offer more than half of that. Use experience gained to move again in 3-5 years time into a role more like C.

Or better.. tell your current lot that you've got an offer of $X from B, but you'll take C because of team/opportunity/loyalty but you need a commitment of at least $X and something in writing within a week?

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• C.  Make sure they know you have B on the table and what they are offering you, as long as that doesn't let them justify a lower salary for C.  Tell them you need to make the move or have something concrete for C.

C sounds the best, you just need further assurances it is happening.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Look for Job D.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A - No

B - Take it. Once you're on board it'll be up to you to generate growth and make opportunities for yourself. A decent company will see the value you're bringing in and give your your head to do it. If you don't think they're decent then don't take it. 

C - Sounds good, but you'll always be taken for granted by a company that knows you. It's not personal by anyone, but people just value the new hires they don't know more than the trusted people they do know. You need to leave before you can go back (if you see what I mean). They're just making empty noises until the role actually gets approval and budget.

If you want to be totally cynical, you can take B and drop them like a stone if C actually materialises and is what you want.

Good luck! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    Apart from B they all sound a bit vague.
  • You have actually only got one offer. So it's either B or stay.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2445
    Thanks all, really appreciate it!

A and C are a bit vague as I have yet to receive the official salary notes etc. C is very 'fluffy' as it's a completely new role in a new division.

I'm going to go back to B to ask for a base uplift of £x, and then say to C that I have been offered £x from B - and can they at least confirm this is not unreasonable for the new role there.

Hopefully that'll help the thinking process...!!
    You have actually only got one offer. So it's either B or stay.
    Yeah, good point....
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    edited February 2018
    Having been in a similar situation, always B...in my line of work, being at "vendor level" means you could potentially command more money if you came back out to customer side as an expert - that's what I did (now back on customer side) - almost like a poacher turned gamekeeper and with a credibility status which commands higher salary
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Personally I’d be using B as a bargaining chip to accelerate and improve C. If the thought of losing you doesn’t make that happen then go for B! 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
    I take it that D (rockstar) is still not on the horizon?
    axisus said:
    I take it that D (rockstar) is still not on the horizon?
    Only part-time ;)
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    Become an electrician or plumber and blow all the salaries out the water...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1011
    B...or C if you your gut instinct is that they are not just blowing smoke up your arse.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6405
    Paper offers only - if it isn't written down it doesn't exist.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Exactly what @sev112 said. Accept job B in a week or so (if you have to keep them sweet by saying that you have to discuss it wit your wife/partner/etc who is away at the moment then so be it), which buys you time for offer C to be made. Also let job C know that you have potentials in the wings. 
    IMO if you can get the job and experience as a director then that sets your new job level from now on. Just sit it out there for a year or so and then move on to the next directors level job, and so on.

Good luck.  
    Right - spoken to the recruitment agent for job B (he's the guy that got me my current role), and he's well aware of the situation. Have asked him to go back to Job B and state that while I'm not expecting them to match Job C's salary, I feel that it needs a higher base; so we'll see what they come back with (plus gives me a bit of time over the weekend).

I've gone back to Job C's CEO and have requested a rough salary bracket, which he has stated he cannot give. So, I've messaged him one to one and stated that job B have offered £x amount (which is higher than they have, of course), and have asked him if - from what he knows of the other director's salaries etc. - that is the correct ballpark for this new role.

Oh, and I've been told I'll have an official job description for Job C by CoB tomorrow.

My thinking is that I should hopefully get offered more on Job B now, get a rough idea of Job C's range of salary, and it gives me a bit of space. If a job description for C is not with me by tomorrow, think that shows something.

Man, what a palava!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
    Take B wait for C