Good problem to have, but I could do with some advice...!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1011
    For what it’s worth & as a complete outsider my gut feeling is go with B.

If C don’t get that job description over to you (the cynic in me says that won’t) then you know what you are dealing with... a load of smoke & BS.  Even if they do I would still favour option B (obviously without knowing the ins & outs of your situation).

Good Luck!

FarleyUK said:
    Right - spoken to the recruitment agent for job B (he's the guy that got me my current role), and he's well aware of the situation. Have asked him to go back to Job B and state that while I'm not expecting them to match Job C's salary, I feel that it needs a higher base; so we'll see what they come back with (plus gives me a bit of time over the weekend).

I've gone back to Job C's CEO and have requested a rough salary bracket, which he has stated he cannot give. So, I've messaged him one to one and stated that job B have offered £x amount (which is higher than they have, of course), and have asked him if - from what he knows of the other director's salaries etc. - that is the correct ballpark for this new role.

Oh, and I've been told I'll have an official job description for Job C by CoB tomorrow.

My thinking is that I should hopefully get offered more on Job B now, get a rough idea of Job C's range of salary, and it gives me a bit of space. If a job description for C is not with me by tomorrow, think that shows something.

Man, what a palava!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2445
    Quick update for anyone interested:

- Job A sent me their offer..... and it's 6k LESS than my current salary. Have declined the role.

- Had a follow-up with job B on the phone, they have offered me slightly more money and gone through some stuff around progression etc. It's still a consultant role (a senior one), but there is potential to help build the practice and move to a lead consultant role etc. if I wish. They also stated they don't want to push me into making a decision, as there is no urgent need for the role to be filled, so they can wait for a decision until Tuesday.

- Got the offer from job C, and the job spec is being sent over tonight... it's slightly more than Job B salary wise, and again has some good benefits. Potentially a massive opportunity, as they have recognised my skills and want to give me a chance to really push things for them. Can't help thinking the two people I'd be working with / for are not the greatest guys though, but I've only met them a few times (and I'm a miserable sod myself!). The job title is confirmed as Practice Director :)

So next steps for me are to have a butchers at the job description for C, and come up with the Hassle factor chart as suggested by @Phil_aka_Pip ; and see what comes up.

Thanks again for (almost) everyone's helpful suggestions!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    @FarleyUK   Nice position to be in ... good luck making a choice.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • @FarleyUK hope HF is a useful concept. I've added things such as do they have a dress code (no => no hassle), are they flexible about timekeeping, plus my opinion of their quality management or their approach to engineering (are they pratting about or getting on with it). There's lots of things you can give them scores for and so long as you apply the same criteria to all the jobs you compare at any one time you've got a tool that helps you rate them. I used a spreadsheet :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Update - after a long weekend of deliberating and comparing, creating HassleFactor spreadsheets etc...... I've decided option B is the right one for me at this time.

Several very good points were raised by people I spoke to over the weekend (including people I used to work with, who work for the parent company of job offer B), and a key point was that the role of director for C was pretty much not that different to the senior consultant role in B... and the group for job B are very well thought of in the industry and have a great rep.

Meanwhile, C is an agency, and from my experience in the sister agency, the people are generally rude and obnoxious...

My girlfriend made me come to a decision yesterday when she asked "If you had both roles in a hat, and pulled one out, how would you feel if you pulled out offer C?". made me realise my instinct would be to put it back and try again.

Resignation tendered, offer for B accepted!

Thanks everyone.
  • @FarleyUK your gf is a wise lass. There's only some things a Hasslefactor spreadsheet can tell you :) best of luck!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    @FarleyUK your gf is a wise lass. There's only some things a Hasslefactor spreadsheet can tell you :) best of luck!
    That's why she's with me ;)

Cheers mate - the HassleFactor Spreadsheet needs to be copyrighted - maybe the HassleOff...?