Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What happened to our ears?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 588
    frank1985 said:
    Same applies to mixing...the moment I just started experimenting and trusting my own instincts instead of looking up ideal compression, EQ settings etc. is when I started to actually make progress. 
    This is absolutely true and I've done exactly the same.  That said, I found with EQ when you're new to it having some "ball park" settings is quite useful when mixing.  Knowing a range to sweep around helps at the learning stage ... "oh, the kick is around 60-100Hz for thump, cool and 2-4k for the beater ... sweet".

EQ especially can have such a big impact with very little alteration (especially in a mix, including in a live band setup) that getting some starting points can be really useful and save bored bandmates.  As well all know, a good sound in the bedroom can sound like utter garbage or even silence (not quite but, you kow) in the band setting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5027
    57Deluxe said:
    I don't think that sample settings card is such a bad idea.  The buyer can quickly dial in a classic sound and tweak it from there.  Reminds me of when I bought a Line6 combo.  It too came with a card with a list of suggested settings but unlike the Bassman, it was all but impossible to get a decent sound from it.  Apart, that is, from the thud it might make when it hits the back of the skip.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24675
    I've not seen a post with as many wis's as this.

I think it's probably another facet of the 'instant gratification society' we live in these days.  Get famous quick - various 'got talent' shows / Big Brother / Vlogger type crap, get rich quick (WWTB a millionaire) etc.

It's the modern disease that's responsible for the race to the bottom, lazy ass, shallow homogenisation of music.  It's quite literally a case of 'No more heroes anymore'.

Where are the great bands for the kids of today to get behind?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • Sassafras said:
    With the advent of electronic tuners we no longer have to endure the gruelling process of relying on our ears.
    And thank god, thanks to tuners that mute, neither does the crowd!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My kids don't even want to treat their ears to quality. I have a spare Hi-Fi amp and speakers. Do they want it (daughter is a grade 8 so should appreciate good sound)? No. phone speaker is good enough for her.
  • My kids don't even want to treat their ears to quality. I have a spare Hi-Fi amp and speakers. Do they want it (daughter is a grade 8 so should appreciate good sound)? No. phone speaker is good enough for her.
    I really don't understand that. We had tinny little transistor radios back in the 60s, and in the 70s yearned after decent HiFi. Some of us got wealthy enough to have some. Then MP3 players came along followed by phones, and everyone* thinks they're wonderful when in reality they are several orders of magnitude worse than the tinny 1960s transistor radio. I just don't get it. And before someone starts going on about freedom of choice and the vast amount of songs these things can store - why does it all sound the same? Tsch Tsch Tsch ...

* well, not really everyone. Not me or the chap across the desk from me - we're into decent HiFi
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11429
    Mp3 players are fantastic for the variety and simplicity they offer. If I'm travelling for a few weeks I can take a huge percentage of my music collection with me, whereas in the days of CDs and cassettes the choice was somewhat limited and the sapce they took up was a problem.

It's horses for courses. When you think about it most music is listened to on considerably less than audiophile equipment. Always has been, probably always will be.
  • Totally agree. I imagine a lot of us are guilty with pedals as if you don't have lots of time it can be easy to make a snap decision without tweaking and then probably regret moving it on. I try to properly audition sounds and compare but I sometimes think maybe we gel with things more when it doesn't need much tweaking.

With learning songs I find working things out by ear to be really enjoyable and for faster stuff tab is a faff for me.