Guitar Shops in Central London to try high end amps

What's Hot

Im in Central London for a few days in the next month and want to try some quality high end amps. I am looking for a couple of the best places to do this that I can get to relatively easily with the Tube.

I'm looking to have a shot of the Friedman Smallbox, BE50, Carol Ann amps, Two Rock, Tone King (not likely) and Dr Z but any other top brands are fine too. Also, would be good to get a shot of the new Marshall DSL and Origin range if they are out by then.

Can anyone recommend a suitable place?

My Trading Feedback Link is here i_b_tulloch

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Not Denmark Street that's for certain.

Honestly - I'd say Coda (Stevenage), got a wonderful Carr amp from there. Or look at what Andertons (Guildford) stock.

Only one that may have some stuff GuitarGuitar in Camden, or there's something in Shoreditch I think.

Central London is a real wasteland for this stuff

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i_b_tullochi_b_tulloch Frets: 105
    edited February 2018
    Thanks peteri. Yeah, I figured it wasn’t the best place anymore, shame really. Sounds like Coda is the best bet as lots of high quality under one roof.

• JD50JD50 Frets: 660
    Didn' t PMT open a shop in the  Old St area?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    Was in Guitar Guitar on Saturday -v poor amp selection
    You have to jump on the train for 35 mins and go our to Old Stevenage (Coda)
  • Stevenage is 25 minutes from King's Cross on the train.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    I was very disappointed with Denmark street when I went through last month.
  • Sounds like Coda is worth the effort to get to. 

• For that selection of amps, and if you can find time for two trips by train, then you need to head to Coda and Peach.
  • Been to Peach a couple of times, including last year at the new store. Haven’t tried Coda so looking forward to that.

• Went to London last year to see Joe B at The RAH, and blagged a day pass to Coda myself. Great trip, highly recommended.
  • Nice one. Saw him last year in Edinburgh and going again in March thus year in Aberdeen. Great show he puts on.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    JD50 said:
    Didn' t PMT open a shop in the  Old St area?

Went there once.  Don't think I'll bother again.  Guitar Guitar in Camden is better.

Guitar Guitar in Epsom is better still, as are Andertons and Guitar Village if you are going out of London in a South/South West direction.

• KiniooKinioo Frets: 19
    As above - don't go to Denmark Street, unless you fancy a kebab or a hair cut....

Coda in Stevenage.... - well, its my local shop and TBH only one decent in the area. Its great when it comes to gear selection but I find it a bit pricey and also staff in there is not very helpful...(every time I walk in there there is at least 4-5 people sitting behind the counter - one is drinking coffee, one is reading papers, one is faffing about with his/her mobile and one is on the phone...but each one pretend to be very busy...do they really need that much staff in there ???!!!)

But its my opinion.
    C.
  • Definitely do Coda....Doug is the man for inside out knowledge but I have found them all to be really good.

I spent a whole day at Coda, and they couldn't have been nicer - lining up amps, then plugging in pedals, attenuators, talking me through the amps and doing a great deal.

Proper shop

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited February 2018
    Kinioo said:
    As above - don't go to Denmark Street, unless you fancy a kebab or a hair cut....

Coda in Stevenage.... - well, its my local shop and TBH only one decent in the area. Its great when it comes to gear selection but I find it a bit pricey and also staff in there is not very helpful...(every time I walk in there there is at least 4-5 people sitting behind the counter - one is drinking coffee, one is reading papers, one is faffing about with his/her mobile and one is on the phone...but each one pretend to be very busy...do they really need that much staff in there ???!!!)

But its my opinion.
    C.
    That was exactly my experience too. Not sure they wanted to sell anything. The only guy who was helpful was the owner Doug. Who was a very knowledgeable guy 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3430
    edited February 2018
    I went to Coda once - am surprised anyone could spend a day there, it’s pretty small. They were quite accommodating but I felt I was cluttering the shop too much  
  • I went to Coda once - am surprised anyone could spend a day there, it’s pretty small. They were quite accommodating but I felt I was cluttering the shop too much  
    Coda is great. Me and @impmann took over the amp room for the best part of 4 hours, left to it, free to grab any guitar we fancied.

Really friendly, helpful bunch. If I go back to a guitar shop it will probably be there.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I went to Coda once - am surprised anyone could spend a day there, it’s pretty small. They were quite accommodating but I felt I was cluttering the shop too much  
    Coda is great. Me and @impmann took over the amp room for the best part of 4 hours, left to it, free to grab any guitar we fancied.

Really friendly, helpful bunch. If I go back to a guitar shop it will probably be there.

Same with me, sat in the amp room and worked my way through all the Carr and Swart amps they had - bought in the end a Carr Skylark, but equally felt completely comfortable I could have just walked away at the end.

Very good selection of Fender CS too, including the best CS strat I've played

• What Strat peteri?