Marshall foot switch woes! URGENT!!!

What's Hot
My Marshall double footswitch is giving me jip! One of the buttons is buggered. I need a replacement button ASAP! Got a gig on Saturday. Where can I get just the button so I can wire it in myself? Mucho help needed!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2592
    tFB Trader
    I have some here, but no chance of getting it to you tomorrow. Have you got a maplins nearby?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72544
    Is it definitely the switch itself - ie does it feel buggered? :)

Cable failure is far more common on these.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Is it definitely the switch itself - ie does it feel buggered? :)

Cable failure is far more common on these.
    Yep it’s def. the switch it feels buggered!
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 839
    edited February 2018
    I have some here, but no chance of getting it to you tomorrow. Have you got a maplins nearby?
    Which one would it be from maplins?
    The good news is that it doesn't have to be a specific type of switch - *any* latching footswitch which fits the hole will do, from a SPST up to a 3PDT. All it needs is to make and break one contact. (If you're using a DP or 3P switch, you can parallel the poles to make it more reliable, but you don't have to.)

If you don't have time to buy one, do you have any old pedals you could sacrifice (temporarily) to get a switch?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    The good news is that it doesn't have to be a specific type of switch - *any* latching footswitch which fits the hole will do, from a SPST up to a 3PDT. All it needs is to make and break one contact. (If you're using a DP or 3P switch, you can parallel the poles to make it more reliable, but you don't have to.)

If you don't have time to buy one, do you have any old pedals you could sacrifice (temporarily) to get a switch?
    I have a joyo pedal I could butcher but i think it’s got six connectors on it which ones do I use?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    My Marshall double footswitch is giving me jip! One of the buttons is buggered. I need a replacement button ASAP! Got a gig on Saturday. Where can I get just the button so I can wire it in myself? Mucho help needed!!!
    If you're in London (I'm in North London) I have two and could loan you one. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Thanks very much but I’m in Andover in Hampshire. :(
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    If you can get to Guildford, Andertons have a load of two button foot switches for a tenner. 
    rockmonster said:

I have a joyo pedal I could butcher but i think it’s got six connectors on it which ones do I use?
    The Joyo should have a 3PDT, mounted on a small PCB. It's best not to try to get the switch off the PCB, it's very hard without damage and will stop you putting it back later, once you're repaired the Marshall properly.

What I would do is cut the wires close to the PCB, leaving enough coloured insulation that you can see where to re-solder them. Bend the LED out of the way, don't remove it. Then use the middle terminal and one of the end ones in the row nearest the wires.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    rockmonster said:

The Joyo should have a 3PDT, mounted on a small PCB. It's best not to try to get the switch off the PCB, it's very hard without damage and will stop you putting it back later, once you're repaired the Marshall properly.

What I would do is cut the wires close to the PCB, leaving enough coloured insulation that you can see where to re-solder them. Bend the LED out of the way, don't remove it. Then use the middle terminal and one of the end ones in the row nearest the wires.
    Fanku for your Ossum advice ICBM!
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    I've got an old 2 button Marshall footswitch lurking from the days of an old 90s valvestate I had in the garage.  If that's any use let me know
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4727
    nickb_boy said:
    I've got an old 2 button Marshall footswitch lurking from the days of an old 90s valvestate I had in the garage.  If that's any use let me know
    That was the spare one I had too!  Just too far away to help. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Yeah thanks for all the offers guys