Gartone Bluesman 18

What's Hot
Wow. Had a go of one of these today...jesus... these are awesome!! Best tweed I've ever played. Nearly ended up divorced as last time I saw martin I came away with a gartone Ace..I seriously need to stay away!

Anybody else got one? If you ever decide to sell i'll be raiding that piggy bank no doubt haha. And living on my own too...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I don’t have one...

I have two.

Best 5E3 I ever heard.

They come up occasionally on eBay and on here.

Rob.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Well I can safely say I know exactly how they sound. Being 2 stands away from ours and having sweet home Alabama on repeat all day has seared the sound into my brain...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16122
    Yes I have ..........Monster thing.......best amp I have ever played by far;I was underwhelmed by my Lazy J
    They are absolutely ripping and a quietly understated marketing keeps them a little known secret....just superb
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well I can safely say I know exactly how they sound. Being 2 stands away from ours and having sweet home Alabama on repeat all day has seared the sound into my brain...
    Was that at Birmingham? Do you mean somebody was playing sweet home through one of these amps?
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Curious about these. How do they differ from a standard tweed deluxe? 

• When you say standard deluxe what do you mean? Fender 57 reissue or vintage originals?
    Well I can safely say I know exactly how they sound. Being 2 stands away from ours and having sweet home Alabama on repeat all day has seared the sound into my brain...
    Was that at Birmingham? Do you mean somebody was playing sweet home through one of these amps?
    Yes. The guy on the stand..! 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    When you say standard deluxe what do you mean? Fender 57 reissue or vintage originals?

The original design. Am wondering what changes he has made, as Jesse Hoff did for the J20. 

• Well I can safely say I know exactly how they sound. Being 2 stands away from ours and having sweet home Alabama on repeat all day has seared the sound into my brain...
    I was there for an hour or so..Martin doesn't play his amps on the stand, never has when I've been there.. There was a guy on the stand opposite with a rift amp playing sweet home etc when I was looking around. I'm pretty sure that sound burned in your brain wasn't a gartone! :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6197
    tFB Trader
    I was there for an hour or so..Martin doesn't play his amps on the stand, never has when I've been there.. There was a guy on the stand opposite with a rift amp playing sweet home etc when I was looking around. I'm pretty sure that sound burned in your brain wasn't a gartone! :-)
    Gartone brought a guitarist to play his amps this year.  I had a rift amp on my stand and was opposite.... no sweet home from me!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ThorpyFX said:
    Gartone brought a guitarist to play his amps this year.  I had a rift amp on my stand and was opposite.... no sweet home from me!
    Yep was definitely the hired gun on the Gartone Stand.. 
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    His amps are more a sum of the parts. He uses the best of everything and builds them with meticulous precision. Even the cabinets are made from antique victorian pine. 
    I compared two pieces of pine in the workshop, one new, one Victorian, the new one was more than twice the weight. Even the cabs play a part in the tone, they are really resonant. 
    He’s just five minutes drive from me, so I’m very lucky. 
    Rob
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @Bridgehouse @ThorpyFX ;; haha I stand corrected! I only made a passing visit and didn't realise there was a demo guy! Playing sweet home does not do that amp justice!

I loved it from my short blast, and I don't usually go for tweeds.

@ThorpyFX how do you find the rift? Sounded nice when I passed today!
  • joehindley103joehindley103 Frets: 16
    edited February 2018
    JohnPerry said:
    When you say standard deluxe what do you mean? Fender 57 reissue or vintage originals?

The original design. Am wondering what changes he has made, as Jesse Hoff did for the J20. 
    @Ossyrocks sums it up. No idea what his specific mods are but being an owner of an Ace 20 the component selection and build is superb..only downside that kind of quality costs so his amps are pricey (for a custom builder)..but still cheap compared to imports or fender reissues with cheaper components
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6197
    tFB Trader
    JohnPerry said:

@Ossyrocks sums it up. No idea what his tweets are but being an owner of an Ace 20 the component selection and build is superb..only downside that kind of quality costs so his amps are pricey (for a custom builder)..but still cheap compared to imports or fender reissues with cheaper components
    This is an interesting price comparison quip. It seems that we expect smaller builders to offer their wares cheaper than the big players. When I’m reality everything is much more expensive for th smaller builders. Fender’s buying power and distribution network means they can bring the cost of their amps down to make more money (divvied up between distributors, shops and themselves). The smaller builders actually makes less profit than the bigger players, but they still tend to bring their products in around the same price or less.

quality does cost, but the benefits are often worth more than the £ dictates. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I think you're missing my point. I agree.

I'm comparing gartone with other custom builders. The gartone prices are on the high side for a custom (relatively unknown) brand if you compare with others. E.g deluxe tweed based amp 1700? I could get another uk custom builder do that for probably a few hundred less..However I know the quality of the overall product so I don't have an issue with the price.

An no point in my post did I infer smaller builders should offer their products less than the big fish. The only advantage of the big players is easier resale value to the mass second hand market. I'd pay twice as much for a custom build than say a fender, especially if I plan to keep it so resale no issue.
  • One got sold on here a couple of weeks ago 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Really? I'm skint at the moment so no bad thing I guess. I'll be back in for one at some point though I have no doubt! :-)
  • Really? I'm skint at the moment so no bad thing I guess. I'll be back in for one at some point though I have no doubt! :-)
    It'll be up here again I'm sure ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/