Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Slow Watches.....

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    Some of those Meistersingers are quite nice, and I'd rather £720ish for an automatic than £260ish for a quartz. I like this one.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31935
    Pretentious toss imo. 

Some of us actually have meetings and appointments that have to be kept!
    Exactly. I was in a band once with a guy from north London who jacked in his job as a regional manager at Currys and moved to mid Wales. As a gesture at escaping his old life he threw his watch in the sea at Aberystwyth, because "life in Wales is less pressurised". 

Wrong. HIS life might've been - he'd sold his semi and bought a five bedroom barn conversion in three acres here - but the rest of us still have to make a living. 

Every time he asked me what the time was I told him to fuck off. 
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Has anybody mentioned sundials yet? :)  I think I remember Fred Flintstone wearing one on his wrist...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretentious toss imo. 

Depends which country you're in though, and whether it's a social appointment or business. These, I guess, are firmly in the social camp.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I don't know what some people do socially, but if you ever need to catch a bus or a train, or go to the pictures or a gig, or meet someone outside on a cold night, or get to a shop before it closes.....
    Thats the beauty of a two handed analogue watch; it can be as vague as you want it to be.

It answers the question most of us are asking when we look at a watch: How long have I got left, before......? It gives you a rough visual indication when you glance at it quickly, but can be precise if you study it.

A digital time readout tells you the time, whereupon you then need to do the maths.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29146
    Pretentious toss imo. 

I'm not sure one of these is going to preclude being on time for meetings.

I can't remember ever being fifteen seconds late, for instance. Or a minute late. You're either very early, a bit early, on time, or late. I think you could reasonably read one of these watches to within 15 minutes (each little division being either 10 or 12 minutes on most of them). That's probably good enough if you're reasonably organised.

However, I do also sort-of agree; this looks (as others have said) like a watch for social use, where you just want to know what hour it is and whether it's closer to the next hour yet or not. I quite like that as a concept.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Haven't worn a watch for decades. I have  a mobile, a PC, a clock on the wall, a clock on the car dashboard, the time comes up on the TV guide, a clock radio beside the bed...I'm not going to wear another clock on my wrist in this day and age.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2449
    edited February 2018
    Personally I like the concept and almost bought into the spiel about "slowing down time". However, for this sort of thing to actually have any merit, it would rely on everyone else wearing one and thinking the same way, which, at £250 a pop, is pretty unlikely. I'll stick to the traditional mechanical snobbery instead 

EDIT: If you're looking for something a bit different, maybe consider this company instead

https://www.nitewatches.com/store/gb/
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Ravenous said:
    Has anybody mentioned sundials yet? :)  I think I remember Fred Flintstone wearing one on his wrist...
    How about this:
    http://www.craftsnclocks.com/fossil-sundial-watch-vintage-collectible-novelty-wristwatch/
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6936
    edited February 2018
    ESBlonde said:
    Haven't worn a watch for decades. I have  a mobile, a PC, a clock on the wall, a clock on the car dashboard, the time comes up on the TV guide, a clock radio beside the bed...I'm not going to wear another clock on my wrist in this day and age.
    That was my attitude for years. However I’m now a watch wearer. 

Come on over to the dark side...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    My first thought was to buy one for our drummer who’d be late for his own funeral, but then I realised that as he has no concept of timing, it won’t make a blind bit of difference anyway.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    martinw said:
    I don't know what some people do socially, but if you ever need to catch a bus or a train, or go to the pictures or a gig, or meet someone outside on a cold night, or get to a shop before it closes.....
    Thats the beauty of a two handed analogue watch; it can be as vague as you want it to be.

It answers the question most of us are asking when we look at a watch: How long have I got left, before......? It gives you a rough visual indication when you glance at it quickly, but can be precise if you study it.

A digital time readout tells you the time, whereupon you then need to do the maths.
    I bet you love the second hand.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2018
    Has anybody else noticed that if you don't wear a watch you more or less know what the time is anyway?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Freebird said:
    martinw said:

What?
    martinw said:
    Freebird said:
    martinw said:

What?
    I find it essential for impressive time keeping, I plan everything down to the last second  :)
    tFB Trader
    Freebird said:
    martinw said:
    Freebird said:
    martinw said:

What?
    I find it essential for impressive time keeping, I plan everything down to the last second  :)
    Just being a dick then?
    martinw said:
    Freebird said:
    martinw said:
    Freebird said:
    martinw said:

What?
    Just being a dick then?
    On the contrary, I was just admiring your observations regarding chronological order.
    tFB Trader
    Not really. If you read my post I was saying how good a normal watch can be at being a bit ish with timekeeping, as well as accurate if you want. 
    edited February 2018
    I must admit I do find the second hand the most thrilling out of all those available, especially when waiting for an important phone call or the end of an eBay auction, so I'm guessing the Slow Watch isn't really for me s 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    One handed watches aren’t anything new!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.