Favourite non Fender , non Gibson Fender and Gibson style guitars

What's Hot
Like a few of us on here, my continued lust for the next forever guitar means I am continually selling my previous forever guitar. I've noticed recently though that I've started buying guitars that I've had before , I'm starting to finally realise what I like and am putting together a collection rather than guitars to try then move on.

Since I sold my PRS custom 24 about 10 years back it's been mainly Teles, Strats and Les Pauls really with the odd SG, Gretsch and PRS thrown in as a bit of a sorbet to clean the pallete before the next Tele comes along.

I've come to realise that of the 'big 3' designs I tend to favour guitars from other brands despite enjoying many a Fender and Gibson over the years.

Curently for me it's 

Strat - K Line Springfield 
Tele - K Line Truxton 
LP - Feline Lion

I wanted to pick some brains here to see if there were any non Fender Strat and Teles and non Gibson LPs I should be trying before I settle down with the current trio. I've had Suhrs, Orvilles and Tokais for example but never tried a Nash Tele or a Maybach LP but heard good things ?

Can I ask (please) - of the big 3 designs , who do you tend to prefer ?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Strat/Tele- partscasters. You get the spec you build.

LP- the Edwards I had was great, but I'm happier with my Tele deluxe partscaster. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Anderson. Problem solved. Permanently.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    Anderson. Problem solved. Permanently.
    Hmmmmmm, never tried one. Interesting and will do some Google perving later. Thanks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14736
    Hamer USA, arguably, made better Gibson-style guitars than Gibson sometimes manages.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Hamer USA, arguably, made better Gibson-style guitars than Gibson sometimes manages.
    Yes I seem to remember Dominic having one of those for sale once , looked great but I was skint at the time 
  • I like my Suhr strat, despite cheating on it recently. We've made up now. I really liked my old Epiphone Les Paul.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    Aria RS and PE series.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14736
    Ssh! You'll push the prices up.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    I'm using a Collings City Limits for my LP needs - Currently trying some high end Gibson's with a view to getting one but non come have close to the Collings as of yet.

I've got a couple of Collings 290's as well and they also beat their Gibson equivalents and can be picked up for a good price as well. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23560
    LPs, if you're prepared to spend big, I think there are lots of attractive options.  The aforementioned Feline for a start, and I've recently been liking the look of Knaggs, Patrick James Eggle and (pricier again) Nik Huber.

Strats and Teles... I'm afraid I suffer from "Epiphone headstock syndrome".  I'm sure the likes of Suhr, Anderson and the more trad K-Line, LSL and Xotic are all excellent but I really don't like their headstocks.

And of course lots of options at lower price points from the likes of ESP and (to some extent) Ibanez.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5506
    Love my Knaggs stuff. Top-notch examples of everything, really. The Severns are particularly good. 

The one thing they don’t do are offsets though - not that you’re asking about those, but I like Novo and BilT in that space. 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 697
    In love with my Duesenberg Starplayer TV Outlaw and my PRS DGT's.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Suhr’s for me. Gig ready instruments without the foibles and ‘to do’ list of upgrades.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried a Knaggs once in Vintage and Rare in Bath. I ended up buying an old Tokai Es100 instead which was sublime but the Knaggs was very nicely put together, had a bit of a PRS feel to it which makes sense I suppose.
  • Novo Serus T arrived to day and IMO is the best electric i have ever played
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited February 2018
    A Yamaha SG1000 and an SA2100 replaced my Gibsons.
  • For me Japan made Grecos /tokai, best les paul I have ever owned. 
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

If I were to choose an non s type or Gibson guitar I would look at the Eastwood Airline range.

Purely for looks really, not a massive fan but they look different.

• Novo Serus T arrived to day and IMO is the best electric i have ever played
    +1 Novo T best guitar i've played.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2475
    edited February 2018
    I’ve always wanted a Gretsch Malcolm Young sig in red from the 90’s, I think they look great.
    https://goo.gl/images/MmdnsK
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom