Evolving the "English" language?

What's Hot

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    @Heartfeltdawn ;   Forsooth, I but drew attention to the new word without casting judgement, only to suggest that we use not the word "bigly" because of our Lord Trump's first use of it.
    We don't needeth no education 
     We don't needeth no bethought control 
     No dark gird in the classroom 
     Teachers leaveth those folk kids alone 
     ho! Teachers! leaveth those folk kids alone 
     All in all it's just another brick in the mure 
     All in all thou art just another brick in the mure 

ow els wud you rite the wurds if ye ad no educasion tho?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I'm not sure I like this language evolution business. Or rather, yes language must evolve, but it's being used as an excuse not to learn the language, grammar and spelling that we already have, by lazy people.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    not like that. the verb forms are all wrong. -eth is the ending for 3rd person singular so is wrong for "we" (1st person plural) and for "teachers" (imperative? but certainly not 2nd person plural)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    It’ll be forgotten about interfrastically, no need for this pericombobulation. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    Apparently, "embiggen" is now a proper word (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-43298229)

I'm sure that if someone other than Donald Trump had come out with "bigly", we'd all be using the word by now.

The real evolution of the English language is text-speak. The problem is that most folk who actually took the time to learn the English language refuse to use it.
    It's mainly 30-somethings who use text speak, autocorrect means all the messages I get from under 30s are written reasonably well. 

It amuses me no end that a 35 year old singer I work with has to fight her new phone tooth and and nail in order to tell me "C U l8er".
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    never heard it - sounds like the process to get a stiffy...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    tony99 said:
    It's lingua franca exactly because of its evolutionary nature. And to an extent because of colonialism.
    French??
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7215
    tony99 said:
    It's lingua franca exactly because of its evolutionary nature. And to an extent because of colonialism.
    French??

not quite boss, it's a term given to a common communication language used by two or more speakers of other languages, can't remember what the "franca" means exactly, but it's not French, think it's a Latin or Greek word or something
    @tony99 OK I get it https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/lingua_franca but my etymology wasn't too far out ;)

• RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Instead of evolving the English language, would it be better if people learned and used it as it is?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    Rocker said:
    Instead of evolving the English language, would it be better if people learned and used it as it is?
    It's always evolving though. There isn't really an "as it is".

English from the middle ages would be incomprehensible to most of us nowadays purely because of its evolution.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Size doesn't matter, so long as you've got embiggen.  
    @tony99 I think there is an "as is", although I agree with you that it's a moving target. Dictionaries and BBC recommended pronunciation tend to give a frozen snapshot at reasonably regular intervals, and the changes per interval are usually not so large as to render last year's received wisdom unintelligible to this year's audience.

I think English from the middle ages would be incomprehensible if spoken, and is incomprehensible when written because of the writing in those days. If such language were written in text that we find readable, I wonder if any of us would be able to make it out? Maybe some of us could. I'd like to try.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9814
    People who claim 'would of' is evolution (rather than just admitting they're wrong) should be first up against the wall.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @tony99 I think there is an "as is", although I agree with you that it's a moving target. Dictionaries and BBC recommended pronunciation tend to give a frozen snapshot at reasonably regular intervals, and the changes per interval are usually not so large as to render last year's received wisdom unintelligible to this year's audience.

I think English from the middle ages would be incomprehensible if spoken, and is incomprehensible when written because of the writing in those days. If such language were written in text that we find readable, I wonder if any of us would be able to make it out? Maybe some of us could. I'd like to try.
    What would the "as is" be though? English or American English? or one of the myriad other forms that have evolved over the last 50 or so years? Such as Indian English, chinese english, korean, jamaican?

If it's English (english) which is the correct form, then who are the correct native speakers, those in the south or those in the north? Both use different pronunciations due to completely different influences of other foreign languages over time.

There can be no overarching correct form of English without saying all the other types are effectively wrong, and due to their effectiveness of communication, I don't believe they are.
    Well, it wouldn't be American would it? Or any other non-English adaptation of English. IMO (and it is only my opinion) the Geordie speakers (for example) are every bit as "correct" as the BBC "Queen's English" speakers. I can't agree though that just because a form is "effective" that makes it "correct". Telling you to F.O. if I disagree with you may be effective but it isn't polite, neither is it the right way to disagree.
    Well, it wouldn't be American would it? Or any other non-English adaptation of English. IMO (and it is only my opinion) the Geordie speakers (for example) are every bit as "correct" as the BBC "Queen's English" speakers. I can't agree though that just because a form is "effective" that makes it "correct". Telling you to F.O. if I disagree with you may be effective but it isn't polite, neither is it the right way to disagree.
    Why would it not be american though? What's wrong with it? Is it because of the orthographic and lexical differences to what we may find in the oxford dictionary? To me that just tells me that there is more than one form of "correct" english. Likewise for the geordie speakers, or my own liverpool accent contrasted with the received pronunciation of BBC newsreaders, they're all correct right?

Which leads me to surmise that if there is more than one correct form of english, many forms in fact, then there can be no absolute catch all "as is".

If so, what is it?
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    You should all speak proper like what I do!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31919
    Well, it wouldn't be American would it? 
    Why not? We spread the use of English through our empire, but the reason most of the world now regards it as essential if you want to get on has more to do with Hollywood than Queen Victoria. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom