Should we ban chewing gum?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
........ until such time as they come up with a biodegradable version?

I was walking from my home town centre up towards the station at the weekend, and suddenly I was aware of the amount of chewing gum squashed flat underfoot. There was literally so much of it along the whole walk that there was no gap more that 8 inches between and two bits. Once I'd seen it, it looked rather disgusting. Likewise, I noticed that the entrance to the sports centre that I go to daily has tons of the stuff on the floor. I'm not sure why people feel the need to just gob it out anywhere, in the dim and distant past when I used to chew gum I would always drop it in a bin. I've heard before that in London it is VERY expensive to clear up, maybe we need a big tax levy on it for clean up expense. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    It's banned in Singapore for exactly this reason.

I'm not sure we should ban it, but I would certainly be in favour of a heavy tax being put on it to pay for the cleaning.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ICBM said:
    It's banned in Singapore for exactly this reason.

I'm not sure we should ban it, but I would certainly be in favour of a heavy tax being put on it to pay for the cleaning.
    ^^

This.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Yes, ban it.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited March 2018
    I understand that American confectionery manufacturers were working on a non-stick version, which defies the essence of the meaning of the word gum, but if it prevents the ghastly blobs being stuck everywhere, including under restaurant tables, then I'd welcome it.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/408793/nonstick-chewing-gum/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1317777/The-non-stick-chewing-gum-promises-clean-streets.html

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9772
    No, that's like banning cars because some people can't drive them well enough
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Just ban people who chew gum from public places. Sorted.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9772
    ronnyb said:

But the people who chew gum (like myself) who don't throw it on the floor and dispose of it properly can't go out in public with gum because of the idiots. Now the introvert within me is thrilled at this thought, it's an excellent bottlejob reason not to go anywhere, but it seems harsh.

I feel my nervous habit of chewing gum is not as smelly as cigarette smokers and not as cringingly offensive as a fidget spinner, though happy to told I'm wrong if it's justified.

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited March 2018
    only the bubble gum and fruit flavored chewing gums cos is a right PITA when you grab a pack of Wrigley's at the till or Kiosk in a rush and be expecting a mint rush and instead get a mouthful of fucking strawberry vanilla...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Not sure how you would enforce it though. How would the gum police / warden be able to tell if someone was chewing a midget gem or opal fruit or in fact gum. Would they be given powers to look in people's gobs.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

It's not too bad in Stockport, it's usually covered by blood and vomit.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11453

Take DNA samples of any gum not disposed of properly, and string up the culprits.

If stringing them up is deemed a bit un-PC then give them 50 hours of community service cleaning up the streets.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited March 2018
    Here's what Charlton Heston had to say about this very issue: "Gum in the mouth of a bad person is a bad thing, gum in the mouth of a good person is no threat to anyone except bad people"

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    crunchman said:

Take DNA samples of any gum not disposed of properly, and string up the culprits.

If stringing them up is deemed a bit un-PC then give them 50 hours of community service cleaning up the streets.

Not a good idea. Spare a thought for the community payback supervisor (wink wink) who would have to put up with them for 7 hours a day and try and show them the error of their ways.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Gum doesn't make a mess - people do.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Yes. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Make it carcinogenic.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    ronnyb said:
    ronnyb said:
    Not sure how you would enforce it though. How would the gum police / warden be able to tell if someone was chewing a midget gem or opal fruit or in fact gum. Would they be given powers to look in people's gobs.
    School teachers posted around the streets, looking out for culprits. When they spot one they could point and shout, “You boy. Are you chewing? Come here, boy!”

Sorted!

=) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    octatonic said:
    Make it carcinogenic.
    Hasn't worked with cigarettes...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Used bubble gum floating about in the air and getting stuck in your hair is far more annoying imo.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    ICBM said:
    octatonic said:
    Make it carcinogenic.
    Hasn't worked with cigarettes...
    You sunk my funny ship...