Long Haul Travel...

What's Hot
Quick show of hands- I can just about afford to go Business Class on a deal for a very long flight, but it is a good £1500 more than the equivalent economy fare. Any insights? Suck up economy and buy an Explorer? Or make the pain of two long haul flights all the more bearable by being extravagant?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    If the difference was buying me an explorer then I'd be posting a NGD thread myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6691
    underdog said:
    If the difference was buying me an explorer then I'd be posting a NGD thread myself.
    +1.

Mars, Moon, Venus, Alpha Centuri... I'd go first class.
    USA, SE Asia, etc I'd get an explorer. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6691
    edited March 2018
  • ColsCols Frets: 7021
    How long-haul are we talking, and which airline?
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Surprised you’re even asking the question on a guitar forum!

If it were me, that Explorer would already be in the post. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Personally I wouldn't bother (although I've never had the privilege so have no frame of reference beyond Premium Economy).

Travelling is a massive ball ache regardless so for me I couldn't justify the price difference unless money was pretty much no object! 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited March 2018
    I have travelled long haul with BA for business pretty extensively during 2015/2016 and business is great, really nice, especially a night flight as you can get horizontal and sleep. Day flights I can tolerate cattle class no problem. I only travelled business as complimentary upgrades, which I got quite a few of as frequent traveller to US/Mexico.

I'm taking the family to Los Angeles in the summer with Norwegian Air on my own money and I have paid and extra £1300 for the 4 of us to go Premium which is a cross between BA Premium Economy and Business Class (it's a 11.5 hour flight). I wouldn't pay £1300 just for me to go business class with my own money.

Like everything, if you can afford it, go for it, if you wince at the extra cost, suck it up and take the cheap seats.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27104
    I've flown tonnes in economy and a moderate amount in business. I have never paid my own cash for business and wouldn't recommend anyone else to unless they really really want to. 

It's better than economy, for sure, but spend money on what you do at the destination (or on something fun when you get home, like a guitar) not on the travel itself.

As @RandallFlagg says, Premium can be good value just for slightly more humane conditions through the trip without too much extra cash.

Happy to add specifics if I know when & where you're going and who you're flying with. e.g. lounge access can be really great, especially if you have a stopover. But you don't necessarily have to be in business to get it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Any insights? Suck up economy and buy an Explorer? Or make the pain of two long haul flights all the more bearable by being extravagant?
    It depends on duration, direction(jet lag), and purpose.

Going west I’m happy to Fly economy as far as Toronto, New York or Washington for work. Coming back on a Thursday or Friday I’d choose an overnight flight. West Coast, if it’s for work then business class. 

Going east I draw the limit at four hours, which reaches somewhere like Egypt. Any further and I’d choose an overnight flight so that I can sleep. If it’s for work then that means business class. 

If it’s long haul for holiday then I’d balance the flight cost vs the cost of a day’s recovery time.

The other things which works for me are:
    1. Wear ear plugs.
    2. Limit alcohol intake to one drink.
    3. Switch to destination time eating and drinking as early as possible. So if I board after 22:00 destination time then straight to sleep with no inflight meal. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • themeinsidethemeinside Frets: 218
    Thanks everyone! We're talking about Auckland, New Zealand, so literally one of the furthest cities on the planet from ol' Blighty! Looking at options, going east is the most likely, with a stop-over of a couple of hours in Kuala Lumpur.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Just done almost a month in South Island NZ and endured the (up to 30 hrs) Qantas flights via Dubai & Melbourne to Christchurch.....and then hadn’t had enough and did an internal 4 hour flight to Nelson.

I implore you to consider a long break before the long leg of the flight.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    The way I see it: if someone offered me £1500 for one & a half day's work would I take it? Hell yes! I'm being paid to sit on my ass in second class.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Thanks everyone! We're talking about Auckland, New Zealand, so literally one of the furthest cities on the planet from ol' Blighty! Looking at options, going east is the most likely, with a stop-over of a couple of hours in Kuala Lumpur.
    Depends on your situation.

I personally wouldn't.  I'd use my airmails for it but wouldn't use real money on it.  And to be honest, even the airmails is probably better spent at booking a nicer hotel.  So instead of business flight for there and return, use that money on nicer rooms for the whole week or 2 weeks you are there.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    WOW- thank you @sinbaadi! Checking it out now.

I’m tempted to go on that for that price, and 30mins ago I didn’t want to go to Auckland.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I can't get it to work- it'll show a great price outbound, but standard prices inbound...
    I can't get it to work- it'll show a great price outbound, but standard prices inbound...
    Fly economy back?
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    My friend has a brace, from a time he had an accident,that stretches his arm to a horizontal position with an appendage like a table tennis bat that goes over the hand.It holds his right arm out to the side as if it was a wing.
    He always books economy ....arrives at the airport ,straps on the brace for check -in and politely asks if an upgrade may be available as it would be easier for his arm.
    99% of the time he is put in business or 1st class . He takes the brace off as he sits down and then enjoys the complimentary champagne and other upgrade privileges for the rest of the flight. Chutspah.
    3reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Never flown 1st class or business class but we’ve always tried to get premium economy on a night flight. More leg room and bigger seats really help if you’re trying to sleep. (I’m 6 foot and 15 stone, it doesn’t bother Bride of Boogie so much, she’s only 5’4 and somewhat slimmer). Daytime flights are ok on economy, at least you can get up and move around anyway.