Long Haul Travel...

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    ESBlonde said:
    Priority boarding? Thats where you get on first and have to sit for even longer while the other passengers on the same flight board and settle down!

True, but it also means you get to use the storage locker over your seat rather than one at the other end of the plane because some dumpy arsed middle aged tourists have jammed 3 wheeled mini suitcases into your locker along with their winter coats and proceed to knock the drink from your hand throughout the whole flight as they are up and down to the locker getting their shit out. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5428
    ESBlonde said:
    Priority boarding? Thats where you get on first and have to sit for even longer while the other passengers on the same flight board and settle down!

True, but it also means you get to use the storage locker over your seat rather than one at the other end of the plane because some dumpy arsed middle aged tourists have jammed 3 wheeled mini suitcases into your locker along with their winter coats and proceed to knock the drink from your hand throughout the whole flight as they are up and down to the locker getting their shit out. 
    ^^ this

And if you're in the front of the plane, they generally give you a glass of sparkling wine while you wait...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27105
    ESBlonde said:

And if you have the good sense to choose a window seat it also means you just sit down and don't have to get up until you either land or need a wee. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24350
    If I had the money, I’d never fly economy ever again.  The cheaper option though is DVT tights and a bucket of sleepers.  If you’re out cold, you’re not going to notice if you’re in Business or the cargo hold.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • ColsCols Frets: 7024
    For me, the real advantage of business class for long haul is that you arrive at your destination sane and well-rested - massively important if you’ve just stepped off the plane in Hong Kong and need to be on the ball in a meeting right away.

If you’re on holiday and can spare the time, it means after economy longhaul you need an extra rest day either side to achieve the same effect at the end.  It’s a matter of time vs money.

Having said all that, flying to NZ must be an incredibly long trip, so being comfortable for that length of time (both ways) plus the reduced recovery time either side may well be worth the money.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    edited March 2018
    Agree with ^^^ 
    We tend to fly business class on overnight flights because it means you arrive having had close to a full night's sleep.
    Otherwise it is not only a waste of the following day but I find I don't adjust to jet lag as well.

In the next 2 weeks we are doing London -> Singapore and back and then London -> LA and back.
    If we were doing economy I'd struggle much more.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    ESBlonde said:

Priority boarding is good for economy but do you need it for business or first? There are like 20 people instead of 60.  There will be lots of space.
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    Priority boarding is good for economy but do you need it for business or first? There are like 20 people instead of 60.  There will be lots of space.
    As others have said, you can make yourself comfortable and often get a glass of something whilst still on the tarmac.

Personally, on the rare occasions I'm travelling business, I prefer to sit in the lounge until the very last minute, but that's because I get pretty claustrophobic on planes, even in the posh seats.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    ESBlonde said:

True, but it also means you get to use the storage locker over your seat to put your dog in, rather than one at the other end of the plane because some dumpy arsed middle aged tourists have jammed 3 wheeled mini suitcases into your locker along with their winter coats and proceed to knock the drink from your hand throughout the whole flight as they are up and down to the locker getting their shit out. 
    FTFY.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LoFi said:
    As others have said, you can make yourself comfortable and often get a glass of something whilst still on the tarmac.

Personally, on the rare occasions I'm travelling business, I prefer to sit in the lounge until the very last minute, but that's because I get pretty claustrophobic on planes, even in the posh seats.
    I think I’d stay in the lounge longer with my drink too.  Only flew business once and that’s what I did.
    ESBlonde said:

You'd be surprised. Last time I flew with my wife & son we got upgraded to business from Premium Economy. Because we were comparatively further back in the queue they had run out of overhead space on our "side" of the plane (767). Had to shove most of our stuff in an overhead close to the back of the opposite aisle, which was not ideal for flying with a three-year old due to having to fetch stuff all the damn time. But not gonna complain too much, it was a free upgrade!
    LoFi said:

I think I’d stay in the lounge longer with my drink too.  Only flew business once and that’s what I did.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4646
    My company never pays for Business class. However a pair of noise cancelling headphones makes cattle class bearable.
    Of to Qatar on Monday, Cattle class for a two hour meeting.
    My company never pays for Business class. However a pair of noise cancelling headphones makes cattle class bearable.
    Of to Qatar on Monday, Cattle class for a two hour meeting.
    Do they know about Skype??
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4793
    Thanks everyone! We're talking about Auckland, New Zealand, so literally one of the furthest cities on the planet from ol' Blighty! Looking at options, going east is the most likely, with a stop-over of a couple of hours in Kuala Lumpur.
    Don't go west via LA. I did it once and it just doesn't work. Go east and take a stopover day if you can afford it. Or accept you'll need a day to recover at the other end.

Nice as anything is above economy, if it's my money I don't think it’s ever worth it. Travel is temporary and any pain soon fades.  
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    And better food, better/unlimited booze, bigger TV, priority boarding, higher baggage allowance, preflight lounge access, arrival lounge access, sometimes other perks too.

better food -- packed lunch
    better/unlimited booze -- How much can you really drink?
    bigger TV -- big iPad for my own choice of movies
    priority boarding -- the plane doesn't arrive any earlier 
    higher baggage allowance -- I travel light
    preflight lounge access -- If this is so good, why do you want priority boarding to get on the plane quicker? ;)
    arrival lounge access -- Don't you just want to leave the airport as soon as possible?

I see the point if you fly very often, and very long distances. The horizontal bed/seat would be fantastic. But all the rest seem like gimmicks to justify a huge markup on what is essentially the same product as the plebs in the back are getting: a fixed-duration flight.
    Whitecat said:
    £1,500 to lie down for a few hours instead of sitting up?
    And better food, better/unlimited booze, bigger TV, priority boarding, higher baggage allowance, preflight lounge access, arrival lounge access, sometimes other perks too.

better food -- packed lunch
    better/unlimited booze -- How much can you really drink?
    bigger TV -- big iPad for my own choice of movies
    priority boarding -- the plane doesn't arrive any earlier 
    higher baggage allowance -- I travel light
    preflight lounge access -- If this is so good, why do you want priority boarding to get on the plane quicker? ;)
    arrival lounge access -- Don't you just want to leave the airport as soon as possible?

I see the point if you fly very often, and very long distances. The horizontal bed/seat would be fantastic. But all the rest seem like gimmicks to justify a huge markup on what is essentially the same product as the plebs in the back are getting: a fixed-duration flight.
    On some airlines you're talking 3 or 4 course meal, Michelin-starred chef-designed... some are better than others. If you're into that as part of the experience, then why not? Some people are foodies.
    Booze - lots, if I've nowhere important to be right after I land. The stuff they serve up front is infinitely better than in the back too - free champagne, an actual wine list, proper digestifs, they have it all. ;)
    Bigger TV vs iPad - fine, but if I've got the tablecloth and the silverware spread out with two glasses of wine in front of me, the iPad is inconvenient, so I get to use their noise-cancelling headphones instead (I don't own any personally) to watch a Star Wars. Seems good!
    Higher baggage allowance - you may travel light. not everyone does. if you are travelling for work with equipment or have children, this is significant. I've gotten several hundred quid in value out of this perk alone based on travel at Christmas when you're laden with gifts. Also, they put priority baggage tags on what you do check so it comes off the belt first. You are out of the airport (or into the arrival lounge!) much faster.
    Lounge access - it's free booze/food/magazines/wifi but you might want to board first to make sure you get the overhead bin of your choice as mentioned previously. Even in the front it's not guaranteed.
    Arrival lounge access - if you have to get off the plane and go straight to a meeting you can have a shower/get changed first. as hotels don't usually allow check-in until 3pm, if you've got an early arrival this is useful for some people. Even if you're on holiday. Imagine you've flown to Sydney and arrive at 6am... you've been travelling for nearly 24 hours, two long-haul flights... if you are taking public transport to the CBD you might want to freshen up first. 

Of course these things aren't worth it every time and may or may not be worth it anytime for some... value is subjective, pain is temporary, but so is money and even life. If you can do it once in a while then the experience is that much more enjoyable, IMO. If someone else is paying you should do it *every* time of course. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom