Tarting a house up

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited March 2018
    WezV said:
    That’s absolutely fine.... but will mean it takes longer to sell your house.

if that’s okay, carry on as you are.  If not, try listening to professional advice.
    As with most things in life there’s a sensible limit. Start hiding your kettle and toaster and you’ve crossed the line (FYI we’re going through trying to sell our house right now) - our house looks very decluttered in the advertisement but also looks like people enjoy a life there. 

There’s a reason show homes aren’t completely empty - you’re trying to create the illusion of harmonious living  

(Yes my guitars are in a photo ! ) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • amarok1971amarok1971 Frets: 338
    I'm just going through a 'shawshank'  B) de-cluttering exercise.. very liberating!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    WezV said:

if that’s okay, carry on as you are.  If not, try listening to professional advice.
    I have done, many times, and that particular estate agent's advice did not stack up compared with what other equally "professional" (and more apparently competent) people have told me.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    BRISTOL86 said:
    WezV said:

As with most things in life there’s a sensible limit. Start hiding your kettle and toaster and you’ve crossed the line (FYI we’re going through trying to sell our house right now) - our house looks very decluttered in the advertisement but also looks like people enjoy a life there. 

There’s a reason show homes aren’t completely empty - you’re trying to create the illusion of harmonious living  

(Yes my guitars are in a photo ! ) 
    I agree.   I kept my guitar wall and a single amp last time I sold.  I got rid of the additional piles of guitars stacked in corners and the leaning tower of amps.

too many take it too far, and it can seem sterile.   But a bit of de-personalisation goes a long way.... unless you are really cool like Phil.  

Just remember the majority of people are led by emotions and first impressions.  You have to play to it if you want a quick sale.   Mine took a day to have 2 competing bidders,  we were already pushing market value and ended exceeding it by some margin...all on a bog standard terrace.  It was worth worth the effort for me, even though it meant some upheaval.  The sorting out and decluttering meant I was already one step closer and had less to do before move day.  
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    The purpose of de cluttering your house prior to its sale is to make your house the one that makes an impression on the viewer(s). Selling houses, even in a sellers market, is a very competitive business. The less there is in a room, the more a viewer can see that furniture or that upright piano is not concealing a problem like damp. Remember you are selling the house, not your lifestyle. Lock up storage is not expensive when the payback is considered. A house/apartment that is finished, looking good and ready for occupancy can be worth €10K or more extra. Definitely worth the effort and hassle to prepare the property for sale.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    @WezV Mate, it's not 'clutter', it's my stuff. I LIVE there. While I do what I can to present the place clean & tidy, I can't put everything in storage for an indeterminate length of time (can't afford it for one thing, neither can I suspend my life for any longer than is necessary to move out). You are of course right, buyers are not buying my "clutter" but they do need to understand that my stuff isn't going to be there when I'm gone but it must be here until I go. Directing buyers' eyes to ceiling space and wall-to-wall measurements is a job to be shared by seller and estate agent. I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't reject a place with the right floorplan in the right area with adequate dimensions just because of the decor or what the current owners have in the place.
    What if your ‘stuff’ was a collection of sex toys including life size ‘dolls’. Would you leave it on show? A silly example I know but it’s generally accepted that sparsely populated rooms in neutral decor is what prospective buyers want to see.

The buyers perception is everything - your perception of your space is irrelevant. If you serious about selling you need to make a buy of effort in presenting it to the best standard.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom