Moronic dog owner

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Emp_Fab said:
    ...and for those who found the term ‘retarded’ offensive, I have edited the title.
    As a moron, I’m offended by your new title..
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I guess she won’t be flying with United again.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24350
    LoFi said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Like I said earlier, if she’d been told to put the baby up there, would she have ?  Let’s judge her on that because there is no difference in the duty of care.
    Which is exactly why the punishment for letting your baby die through neglect is the same as letting your dog die through neglect.

Oh, wait, it's not, is it? Because there absolutely is a difference in the duty of care, and drawing a comparison between the two is laughable, no matter how fond you are of dogs.
    Laughable?

Why?  It’s the life of a helpless young sentient being that you are responsible for.  Why is it “laughable” ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well, if you (her) are that thick that you see no harm in putting a puppy in an overhead locker, there’s something wrong with you.  
    To be honest I'm not an educated man but I'm not particularly thick either, and I wouldn't have known that the locker was airtight or that it wasn't standard practice when assured by a flight attendant that it was. 

I certainly would've put up a pretty big fight over it, all the time assuming that the dog would've been extremely distressed by being locked away in the dark for an extended period - but I would not have known it would be fatal. 

Obviously you and many others know exactly how overhead lockers on airliners are constructed, but I honestly don't. If that's the only thing "wrong with me" I'm pretty relieved tbh. 

So are the lid surrounds natural rubber or neoprene, and how are the hinge pins and catches sealed? Are they proprietary gaskets or just standard o-rings? If they're lockable are the key holes blind and what stops air leaking through the lock barrels? 

Edumacate us oh Great Aircraft Engineer. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018
    I don’t believe they are airtight.  I never said they were.

French Bulldogs are one of several brachycephalic breeds, meaning they struggle with their breathing at the best of times and overheat quickly.  As someone responsible for her dog’s life, you would expect her to know this most basic of needs for her pet.  It is likely the puppy died from CO2 asphyxiation or overheating.  She was on the flight for FOUR HOURS.  Don’t tell me she couldn’t manage to check on the puppy during that time.  I’m quite certain she will have been to the toilet, ordered drinks etc for her children, but she was SO busy looking after ONE baby that it was impossible for her to check on the puppy?

Really?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Emp_Fab said:
    But you don’t know, so how would you know whether it was safe or not to put a dog up there.........unless a flight attendant said it would be ok?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • celentiumcelentium Frets: 356
    Move along folks. No empathy to see here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Emp_Fab said:
    They aren’t airtight - just asked an Engineer at work, just to assist the debate.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    ICBM said:
    BRISTOL86 said:
    Can’t believe people are blaming the owner for his. Horrendous by the airline. 
    No, the owner is partly to blame too - if she had refused point-blank to put the dog in the locker, the flight attendant wouldn't have been able to force her to. But she probably didn't realise the dog would suffocate in there either.

This is United. They absolutely do force people to comply with their orders - sometime using force to do so. The poor dog owner probably felt they had no choice to comply with the instruction
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 2018

French Bulldogs are one of several brachycephalic breeds, meaning they struggle with their breathing at the best of times and overheat quickly.  As someone responsible for her dog’s life, you would expect her to know this most basic of needs for her pet.  It is likely the puppy died from CO2 asphyxiation or overheating.  She was on the flight for FOUR HOURS.  Don’t tell me she couldn’t manage to check on the puppy during that time.  I’m quite certain she will have been to the toilet, ordered drinks etc for her children, but she was SO busy looking after ONE baby that it was impossible for her to check on the puppy?

Really?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well, if you (her) are that thick that you see no harm in putting a puppy in an overhead locker, there’s something wrong with you.  Like I said earlier, if she’d been told to put the baby up there, would she have ?  Let’s judge her on that because there is no difference in the duty of care.

Answer honestly, would you be defending her actions like this if she’d been told to put the baby up there and did so ?
    You're getting a bit of stick here which is perhaps getting a bit harsh, I do agree with most people that the responsibility here was with the airline though.

Not the same but its relevant I think, I had a long conversation with my mum recently where I said unions are not necessary now as employment laws offer so much protection and they are just blackmailing people for better deals.  My mum said but many people lack confidence and are not really intelligent and would not negotiate themselves a fair deal and stand up for their own rights in the correct way etc, some people are not very bright and still have to negotiate the same world as everyone else,

Really did make me think about criticising people for not being very clever, they don't choose their intelligence levels.  won't stop me obviously : )
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited March 2018
    A very sad and tragic case. I'm fairly sure that neither realised that the pup would suffocate in the locker. What I don't understand is why the pup wasn't allocated a seat? I travel extensively and it's very common to see a number of dogs on any given flight in both mainland Europe and the United States. 

This was a little fella I met a couple of weeks ago in Atlanta.

https://i.imgur.com/2Xg7EFw.jpg
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Wolfetone said:
    A very sad and tragic case. I'm fairly sure that neither realised that the pup would suffocate in the locker. What I don't understand is why the pup wasn't allocated a seat? I travel extensively and it's very common to see a number of dogs on any given flight in both mainland Europe and the United States. 

This was a little fella I met a couple of weeks ago in Atlanta.

https://i.imgur.com/2Xg7EFw.jpg
    IDK The pilots are getting younger and younger
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4705

I didn't know dogs could have seats.  It would cause me a big issue if I was next to one (much as I love dogs), due to anthma/allergy.  But I'd rather suffer myself than see the poor thing be put in an overhead locker. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    Emp_Fab said:
    ...and for those who found the term ‘retarded’ offensive, I have edited the title.
    Fair play. A member of my band works as a carer on a gardening project for people with learning difficulties, so we're extra vigilant about using the phrase, as we should be anyway. 

We haven't the heart to tell him it's known locally as Tard Farm. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Emp_Fab said:
    Well, if you (her) are that thick that you see no harm in putting a puppy in an overhead locker, there’s something wrong with you.  Like I said earlier, if she’d been told to put the baby up there, would she have ?  Let’s judge her on that because there is no difference in the duty of care.

I may be wrong but I'm assuming you don't have kids.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Kilgore said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I may be wrong but I'm assuming you don't have kids.
    Rare case of state ordered vasectomy. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Emp_Fab said:
    so now the dog is "moronic"?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15521
    so to summarise, putting children in overhead lockers is definitely bad but putting small dogs in overhead lockers is probably bad, depend on viewpoint?

Just to check, putting dead hookers in overhead lockers is still OK though?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    VimFuego said:

Just to check, putting dead hookers in overhead lockers is still OK though?
    so long as it's someone else's locker ?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself