Carr sportsman and Marshall in a box or Friedman

What's Hot
hi

opinions please. I have the former and am considering selling and buying the Friedman 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bwetsbwets Frets: 162
    edited March 2018
    Totally different sounding amps. Go for the one you want/need?
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1059
    Both with an a/b box.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    I had a Sportsman and it was a fabulous platform for a Weehbo JTM and JMP which killed my GAS for a Marshall

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1472
    edited March 2018
    If your main use is light grit to dirt, get the Friedman, rather than using the Sportsman to get something that isn't its primary aim. I had a Sportsman and thought it was pretty good, but the Friedman will certainly break up in a more pleasing way.

If your primary use is clean sounds, that's a different story - but again, there are better amps for that too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    If your main use is light grit to dirt, get the Friedman, rather than using the Sportsman to get something that isn't its primary aim. I had a Sportsman and thought it was pretty good, but the Friedman will certainly break up in a more pleasing way.

If your primary use is clean sounds, that's a different story - but again, there are better amps for that too.

all true, including there being better clean amps. Must say I would try the Dirty Shirley pedal through the Sportsman first before I sprung for an actual Friedman amp

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Gigging? If so DrZ EZG through a good 2x12 and a good pedal or 4. Takes you from sublime SR cleans to heavy dirt if you get the right pedals. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16122
    JohnPerry said:

all true, including there being better clean amps. Must say I would try the Dirty Shirley pedal through the Sportsman first before I sprung for an actual Friedman amp
    I've tried that through a Rambler .............doesn't cut the mustard; gets farty
  • bwets said:
    Totally different sounding amps. Go for the one you want/need?
    My tastes are changing and I’m enjoying more ac/dc, slash, Hendrix etc and feel I’m trying to force the sportsman to do something it’s not made for. I’ve tried the Wampler plexi drive, angry charlie and I’m not happy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks everybody 
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    Ac/dc slash, Hendrix are all Marshall style so the friedman is the better option.

for me the sportsman is fender based and then season accordingly with pedals
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    I have a Sportsman and it’s not entirely happy with high gain Marshall types, always seems a bit of a compromise. Best high gain stuff with it is something like the Bogner Burnley which takes over total control. However, I’m not chasing the Marshall sound so i love a Rat type or fuzzy thing into the Sportsman. 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 896
    The Carr Slant 6V could be an option for you, as it has the Carr Fendery clean on channel 1 and a Marshall type rhythm on channel 2?
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Gadget said:
    The Carr Slant 6V could be an option for you, as it has the Carr Fendery clean on channel 1 and a Marshall type rhythm on channel 2?
    Looks like a cool amp. I’ll do some research although I only play at home
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 896
    Gadget said:
    Looks like a cool amp. I’ll do some research although I only play at home
    Me too. It's 40W, so will go quite loud, but plays nicely at lower volumes too. The early ones only had reverb on channel 1, but had an fx loop. The current / later ones have reverb on both channels, but no fx loop.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    The Slant is too loud for home use imho... and the second channel is average, and Im a huge Carr fan...

You want good cleans and Marshall OD ?

Tone King Royalist 15w. Lovely amp with a gorgeous attenuator 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16122
    The Royalist is great and still very loud but the attenuator is good
    It has a lovely clean with more than enough headroom for loud home playing but it doesn't sound Fender like when clean
    very good but certainly different
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 162
    My tastes are changing and I’m enjoying more ac/dc, slash, Hendrix etc and feel I’m trying to force the sportsman to do something it’s not made for. I’ve tried the Wampler plexi drive, angry charlie and I’m not happy. 
    Cool man- I think you know what you want to do then!

Could you go for two cheaper amps with different voicings?
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    Friedman BE50 Deluxe.
    channel 1 is the Buxom Betty clean, which is based of a Fender front end.
    channel 2 lots of Marshall tones from early  plexi breakup to more modern marshall.
    channel 3 - as filthy as my wife :)
    Covers all the bases you mentioned
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Dominic said:
    JohnPerry said:

I've tried that through a Rambler .............doesn't cut the mustard; gets farty
    Which speaker in the Rambler though? The Weber that was OEM for a while was breaking up far to early for me so swapped to an Elsinore and that's better but through my 2x12 with and EV and  Red Fang it's solid , excellent bass response. 
  • edbolivar said:
    Friedman BE50 Deluxe.
    channel 1 is the Buxom Betty clean, which is based of a Fender front end.
    channel 2 lots of Marshall tones from early  plexi breakup to more modern marshall.
    channel 3 - as filthy as my wife :)
    Covers all the bases you mentioned
    Sounds amazing but god that’s expensive