Cordless Vacuums... (mumsnet content)

What's Hot
RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
Decided to buy a cordless vacuum cleaner a few weeks ago, and opted for the Vax Blade based on reviews and the fact that it's got a 32v motor, which is about as powerful it gets for these things. 

What a load of crap.  The suction is woeful, the dust collector thing needs emptying every five minutes and the dust goes everywhere when you open it up. 

The Vax was £169 so, is it worth spending the extra on a Dyson (£300+) or are they all pretty much of a muchness?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    I bought a Dyson V6 Animal yearish ago for just under £200 in a sale. It's done well tbf, especially with the menagerie i keep, 2 cats, dog, tortoise, rabbit, daughter and father in law in the house. Can get round everywhere pretty quickly without recharge,  does need emptying a couple of times if not vacuuming regularly. 

Only issue is with empytying, because its all hair and dust being picked up you do need a stick to get out the wedged in stuff... 

Spend about a month uming and ahhing and looking at all reviews and stuff before buying then waited for a sale.

The V8 meant to be even better, and apparently has like a "plunger" for emptying, so that could be good.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    I've given up with Cordless vacuums because they're a false economy, because they don't do shit. Even the more expensive dyson's are shite. 

We spent £250 on a Shark Liftaway DuoClean and it's by far the best vacuum cleaner I've ever used/owned. Unbelievable power. Floors actually feel and look clean. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    tFB Trader
    I have the Dyson V8 Absolute and it's been great.

I have heard good things about the Shark version too

Dyson's things are overpriced - a bit like the Apple of domestic appliances, but their products are REALLY good
    I have their hairdryer too and it is most excellent

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    We also have a Dyson V6 animal.
    it is great but don't let it get anywhere near water, even sucking up things that are slightly damp.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    A cordless vacuum cleaner is a solution looking for a problem.

You've obviously discovered the hard way that there are compromises to be made in producing a full size ergonomic practical lightweight vacuum device - namely power and capacity.

Cordless drills are one thing - you can take it anywhere to help fix stuff, but when vacuuming your house (because you'd never vacuum your garden), you are never more that 10 feet or so from a power socket, so what's the point of a cordless vacuum cleaner?

Get your money back, and spend it on a proper upright vacuum cleaner. What's wrong with the Vax Air Reach at £99 currently listed on their website?

Or if you want to spend the money, get a Miele.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    We looked at them and tried a few. Really underwhelmed. In the end bought one of the Sharks that looks like one but actually has a cord. May sound a bit daft but you get the lightness and manoeuvrability of a cordless but much better suction and cost approx £100. It would be slightly better without a cord ( say for doing the car) but it's not a major issue. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    I have a cordless Black and Decker Vacuum cleaner that cost £10.

It's fab for getting cat biscuits (the vax will literally destroy them, the brush function is that aggressive!), cleaning the van and for getting food off your clothes.
  • We have a Dyson v6. The animal gives you a powered head, which we already had and fitted, so no need to pay extra. 
    It cleans up long hair border collie fur and cat fur, is used every other day - every day and is fab. Dyson customer service has been great too. 
  • V6 Absolute owner here, it’s been and is great. Look on Dyson eBay outlet for refurb deals with full warranty. 

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310

We got a Bosch Athlet Animal.

It's pretty good at doing part of it's job - picking up pet hair from flooring and furniture.

However anything larger than a pea, or heavier than a cat biscuit is just pushed around the floor. It never seems to get sucked up into the canister.

We've ended up having to keep our old Henry, which kind of defeats the point.

The one thing I do like about it is that you can remove the standard handle and head, and replace the handle with straps, and the cleaning head with a hose. It makes you look like a Ghostbuster, and makes it super convenient for cleaning hard to reach places - as long as what you are trying to pick up isn't larger than a pea, or heavier than a cat biscuit! :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I have a standard upright corded hoover, and a fancy American style vacume cleaner with a bristling array of attachments (including a sprayer)! But when I really want to clean inside the car I drag out the Dust collection unit from my woodworking shop and reduce the hose from 4" to the hoover size attachments - now thats very effective and despite the setup time is still more efficient to thoroughly clean inside the car.
    Cordless wouldn't even get a look in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jb1336jb1336 Frets: 64
    have to say I bought a Dyson V8 Absolute and I HATE vacuuming but it is so dam good and easy that the house is the cleanest it's ever been. 

I would 100% recommend it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6079
    I borrowed my sister's GTech for a house deep clean.I was amazed at the amount of stuff it got out of a carpet that looked quite clean before the Gtech went over it. It did require emptying far more often than a standard vacuum but it was a simple process. Still undecided whether I want to get one though; my old Sebo is very efficient if a little heavy to push around.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12388
    My mum has a Gtech and says it is absolute cack, we have some form of dyson thing which was £250ish in John Lewis 18 months ago and the cleaning lady (ahem) says it is awesome best home gadget ever.

Who knows...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited March 2018
    I was watching an infomercial on Quest at 4 in the morning the other day for a all singing all dancing model that did everything... began with an S  - it was SAHRK -  and cost £279 - inc PP! Was nothing it couldn't do anywhere in any form...

But wait - there's more, you also got additional batteries and a range of attachments worth £30 for FREE
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    We have a Gtech cordless and a Sebo corded.
    No contest, Sebo wins hands down.
    Better at everything!!!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15513
    my mum has a gtech airram, mostly cos it's very lightweight as she's elderly. She seems very happy with it, gets dog hair etc out of the carpet 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    rolls1392 said:
    We have a Gretsch cordless and a Squire corded.
    No contest, Squire wins hands down.
    Better at everything!!!
    ...potential new market for Gibson to consider...??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I was looking at these the other day.  Dyson have a new one out, the V10 and apparently are stopping making corded uprights now as the power between them is so close.