Favourite Radio Presenters (sister thread to "Pet Hate Radio DJ")

What's Hot
fandangofandango Frets: 2204
edited March 2018 in Off Topic
I have happy memories of listening to Capital Radio (when it was younger London-only station) and cite these three presenters as worthy of the Hall of Fame:

Peter Young (aka PY the Pork Pie) - who's I think is still broadcasting somewhere - I loved his enthusiasm for what he played, and he got that it was all about the music, so no inane chatter, but ensuring that whatever was said contributed to well-informed listening experience. Brian Matthew came close to this on his Sounds of the Sixties before he passed away. 

Roger Scott - consumate professional, great voice, good music (although that was helped by the musical era) and if I'm right in saying that introduced the "Six of the Best" feature - which took a current public affair situation and asked listeners to suggest suitable songs to match that situation - something which he handled very well.

Alan "Fluff" Freeman - "welcome back my friends to the show that never ends" - great presenter gruffish Aussie voice who kept the pace of his shows fairly upbeat. Played a fantastic variety of rock music on the Rock Show that one just doesn't hear these days.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Ozzie Sibley (ex of Ipswich Community Radio, and Radio Caroline before that IIRC). Partly because he's a good bloke and I used to co-present with him before doing my own show, and partly because of his love for 1960s-1970s Dutch prog rock. His knowledge was encyclopaedic and his store of this stuff on vinyl was vast. He opened my ears to such bands as Kayak, and Supersister.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

+1 for Fluff. What a great show that was.

I used to like Adrian Juste on R1, found his show funny.

Paul Jones - Nuff said.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6392
    R2 - Whispering Bob, Jamie Cullum, Jo Wiley, and late-night Jonathan Ross (ctotal pro, and non-knobber shock !) & Jools (much better than TV)

Frank Skinner on Absolute is also good, love his soft and self-deprecating style
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I used to look forward to Richard Skinner's Saturday afternoon show on Radio 1 back in the day.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1946
    Possibly not a popular choice, but I really like Katie Puckrik. Cerys, Giles Peterson (sometimes), Gideon Coe, Marc Riley are all really good, and have a genuine love of music. 

I hated him as a kid, but from what I can remember, Gary Crowley plays some decent stuff. 

Iggy Pop and Henry Rollins are both great. 

Matt Everitt is a pretty decent interviewer. 

Although I can't stand her accent, I think Mary Anne Hobbs plays some decent music. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14453
    Peel
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Rock with Tommy Vance!

(Yes I know that wasn't his real name.)

• fobfob Frets: 1430

I'm not a big fan of Huey Morgan but he's not that intrusive on his R6 Saturday morning show and plays a great selection of music.

Mark and Lard on the graveyard shift and later in the afternoons was probably my favourite show. Adam and Joe (Buxton and Cornish) on R6 a close second.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    edited March 2018
    Wasn't Peter Young known as the Rocking Rabbi?

Going back to the days when Capital wasn't shit (long, long time ago) Nicky Horne was usually worth a listen. Kenny Everett, with the World's Worst Record Show (which would now take up the entire schedule).

Peel, Fluff and Vance without question.

Going back even further, people like Emperor Rosko and Stuart Henry had so much, for want of a better word, pizzazz compared to the likes of Noel Edmonds and Jimmy Young.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12390
    fob said:

I'm not a big fan of Huey Morgan but he's not that intrusive on his R6 Saturday morning show and plays a great selection of music.

Mark and Lard on the graveyard shift and later in the afternoons was probably my favourite show. Adam and Joe (Buxton and Cornish) on R6 a close second.

I don't mind Huey, quite like Iggy Pop when I've heard him too.  Whispering Bob is probably tops.

Quite a weird one but Scott whatsisname on Radio 1 used to do an hour shuffle of 80's/90s tunes at 5pm and he was alright.  I would never normally listen to R1 otherwise.

Simon Mayo is good too enjoy his show,
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    The Kermode and Mayo show on R5 is the only radio show I try to get to listen to now. 
    I'm okay with Ken Bruce, he's a fairly straightforward radio person rather than a transplanted celeb. 
    I used to listen to Tommy Vance regularly when radio was still steam powered and I went through a long Paul Jones period.
    I occasionally catch Levi Roots when he does his R2 thing. I quite wanted to dislike him ( due to the celeb thing) but he comes across well, knows his stuff and has a legit history on the British reggae scene working on sound systems. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Ravenous said:

Rock with Tommy Vance!

(Yes I know that wasn't his real name.)

Ha! looked it up - Richard Anthony Crispian Francis Prew Hope-Weston. I don’t know anyone with a longer name.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14453
    fandango said:
    I don’t know anyone with a longer name.
    How about Brian Eno?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    John Peel was the best, ever. Great combination of dry wit and innovative choice of music. How many bands wouldn’t have got their break without JP?

I also like Robert Elms on BBC London. Firstly he’s a fellow QPR fan and NW London geezer born and bred. Secondly his show is a nice mix of things and he’s got good taste in music. I’ve never got bored of listening to his show in over 25 years. 
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited March 2018
    Fluff, Wogan and, during my West Midlands sojourn donkey's years ago, Les Ross.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    boogieman said:
    John Peel was the best, ever. Great combination of dry wit and innovative choice of music. How many bands wouldn’t have got their break without JP?

I also like Robert Elms on BBC London. Firstly he’s a fellow QPR fan and NW London geezer born and bred. Secondly his show is a nice mix of things and he’s got good taste in music. I’ve never got bored of listening to his show in over 25 years. 
    Peel also did a good job on R4 in his latter years. He interviewed my friend Frank. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4702
    edited March 2018
    My favourite was Roger Scott - as good if not better than Peel in bringing in new music - who brought us Bruce Springsteen before the first album was out.  I well remember him interviewing Walter Trout in the eighties and teasing out his first proper job - in Hank Williams Junior's band....

Tracey Macleod and Mary Costello were both brilliant on GLR many moons ago.

Clare Teal on Radio 2 Sunday nights is well worth a listen.   She loves her music - swing, jazz and big band, and is very very knowledgeable about al aspects of it including making it.

And Danny Baker was a great DJ too.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    Red hot Roger Scott and Fluff of course.

Going back to the pirates, Emperor Rosko. Great voice - great tracks.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24810
    Mark Radcliffe - used to listen to him on local radio in the ‘80s, loved Mark & Lard on Radio 1 and still enjoy him with Stuart Maconie on BBC6 Music.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22933
    TV on the Radio, Tommy Vance back in the late 70s and 80s. 

I liked Mark & Lard although I didn't share their musical tastes, likewise with John Peel.

I listened to Radio 1 all the time between 1977 and 1981 so I remember all those DJs very well but I can't say I particularly liked any of them.

Nowadays it's 5 Live, as I've mentioned many times.... I'd say I tolerate the presenters, a lot of them annoy me occasionally.  I do really like Tony Livesey but his show's at the wrong time of day for me to hear it.  Peter Allen and Jane Garvey did a Sunday evening show for a while recently and I thought she was excellent, but she's now moved on (something to do with the BBC equal pay dispute, perhaps?)