Are Harley Benton pointing the way to the real future of the guitar industry?

What's Hot
1234568»

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12319
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:
    My guess is that they've actually done their research and have carefully skated around the design elements that Rickenbacker have trademarked.

Note that they have specifically avoided 'toaster' pickups (the centre bar isn't complete), the 'slash' soundhole, the headstock shape, the truss rod cover, and although the upper body horn is from the 620 series, the body outline is otherwise not close and I doubt that one element is trademarked. RIC are *very* aggressive about trademark enforcement - there won't be a "quiet word", it's a lawyer's Cease And Desist letter. They would have no qualms about taking on even a company as large as Thomann if they had a case.

Only the pickguard shape is very overtly Rick - without that it would actually look more like a typical Italian or Japanese junk guitar from the late 60s-early 70s than a Rickenbacker. Personally I think it looks rubbish too... no way I would buy one if I was looking for a Rick.
    I wouldn't want to tie up that much money in a Rick, but that HB does tempt me.  A 12 string might be a nice option at an inexpensive price.
    Yeah same here, I wouldnt buy a £1200 Rickenbacker ot see if I liked at 12-string electric, but this looks like a fun guitar.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom