Powerline Adaprters for home broadband

What's Hot
Anyone use powerline adaprters?

We're turning the shed at the bottom of our garden into a workroom, and our wifi doesn't reach that far, but we do have power down there.

Ideally we'd want one that creates it's own wifi hotspot...but that seems to put the price up.

Any real world experience from you guys?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7429
    I've used one - it works - think it was TPLink brand (with one end a wifi spot as you say) - they aren't terribly expensive and a good solution for that scenario (unless you have easy access to a pipe/conduit that runs power there that you can feed a cat 5 cable down?) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    TimmyO said:
    I've used one - it works - think it was TPLink brand (with one end a wifi spot as you say) - they aren't terribly expensive and a good solution for that scenario (unless you have easy access to a pipe/conduit that runs power there that you can feed a cat 5 cable down?) 
    Will be tricky running a cable down there, we have a shared access path at the back of the house to other properties through our garden (we live in an Edwardian terrance) 
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    I use one in the house for our TV, think it's a TP Link one too. Works fine.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I use a non wifi one for gaming, can't fault them. Again tplink
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    You need to to sure the power down there is off the same box as the main one in the house for it to work properly. The tp link wireless power line adaptors work well and very reliably. 
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    I've used them for about 12 years to feed a building at the end of my garden. About 120 feet and goes through 2 fuse boxes. No real problems other than the occasional drop out and have to turn off/on (about once every 1-2 months).  Feeds 2 computers, phone wifi, appleTV, netflix etc and all fine. I've got netgear ones.  I just use an old router with wifi and plug that into the netgear powerline as a wifi hub and switch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    I've got a TP Link Wi-Fi one in the workshop, with a LAN cable to my PC. Had it years and it's great. 
    It does put a bit of noise on the earth that amps pick up, so when I'm testing an amp I unplug it!
  • TPlink here too
  • I use TPLink adapters all over the house and they do a great job, for smart TV, Sonos, etc
    You have to make sure that the shed is on the same ring main as the socket where you take the ethernet cable out of the router and into the adapter.  
    If the shed is on a different circuit then a wifi repeater might reach. 
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I've got Devolo units though my house and in my garage. Work fine.  Two of them are WiFi bridges. Don't mix and match brandsbrands , I tried to use a cheaper version and the others bullied it until it died.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I use Devolos in the house due to foil-lined insulation in the walls preventing wi-fi signals. They’re very good, although they do suffer from the occasional drop out every now and then.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    I use develo now 1200's now. Got two, one is plugged into the telly/ now tv box etc, and one is in my office with the wifi extender.  works very well and super fast speeds.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22162
    The USB wifi adapter I bought when I moved house and have to give up the direct ethernet connection I'd been using turned out to be shite. Sporky most generously sold me a powerline adapter and it works fantastically well. 

• exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    A pair of Power line adaptors work very well. However I've struggled to get 3 or more working at the same time....even when all from same brand (TP link) and model.
    Thanks all, seems positive. It’s only a pair I need, as the WiFi covers the rest of the house fine. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    You generally have to get them in pairs. There's no point in buying just one!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Powerlines are good.  Another happy user
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Well yes...chap above mentioned issues with 3 or more. 
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I've got four Netgear 300mbps adapters in my house which is an 1865 terrace with solid brick walls. Powerline adapters are the only way to get my network around the house.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Well yes...chap above mentioned issues with 3 or more. 
    I use 4 all fine. Our house has some RSJs in that seem to block wifi in parts of the house. So use these to cover that too. All are from the same pack. Do check since they often have a security button that you need to sync a new one with an exisiting adpater. Instructions will show how.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom