Powerline Adaprters for home broadband

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• exocetexocet Frets: 1973
    mcsdan said:
    You generally have to get them in pairs. There's no point in buying just one!
    Well yes...chap above mentioned issues with 3 or more. 
    I use 4 all fine. Our house has some RSJs in that seem to block wifi in parts of the house. So use these to cover that too. All are from the same pack. Do check since they often have a security button that you need to sync a new one with an exisiting adpater. Instructions will show how.

I suspect that it might be the MCBs that are screwing things up in my house...different ring mains. Works fine between 2 on same ring main, very unreliable when spanning over a different ring main with 3 or more devices. I guess the MCB filters high frequencies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12076
    most of the ones I have tried are very poor

None work for me if you are on a different circuit from the main RCD box

Often outbuildings are on a separate RCD circuit - make sure you check

A wifi repeater might be the best idea, also consider where your main router is in the house, e.g. can it be moved to be in front of a window facing the  outbuilding ?
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4686
    odd I have about 5/6 in my victorian terrace with some well dodgy wiring, a couple of different fuse boxes and get a good 60Mb/s throughput internally. 
    Not mega fast but better than the average WiFi signal 
  • the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    They work, but you might find the noise they put into your mains messes with things like hifi and guitar amps. Gave up with them for that reason. 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    I've got a set of 3 here - AV600 Powerline 3 pack WPA4220 - will do them cheaper than Amazon whatever as they are surplus to requirements.

pm me
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    mcsdan said:
    You generally have to get them in pairs. There's no point in buying just one!
    Well yes...chap above mentioned issues with 3 or more. 
    I use 4 all fine. Our house has some RSJs in that seem to block wifi in parts of the house. So use these to cover that too. All are from the same pack. Do check since they often have a security button that you need to sync a new one with an exisiting adpater. Instructions will show how.

I think the issue of more than 2 wall warts is when you try and use more than one vendor, or multiple pairs.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5434
    I use them for clients when there's no viable alternative, and generally they're fine. Avoid the really cheapo brands, they'll just die after 12 months.

Be aware that as well as introducing noise, they can also be scuppered by noise from other stuff - cheapo AC adapters can stuff up comms between powerline units.  Devolo are good, used to be relatively pricey but less so now (although I avoid the entry level ones). Have also had success with the mid-range TP-Link stuff although I always view TP-Link with great suspicion (but it's not on the black list, which is extensive!)