Do you buy local?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    I live in London so I don't really have 'local', but as pretty much every vegan restaurant and food shop is independent, I regularly support those.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    p90fool said:
    Our local Tesco employs 165 local people. 
    I'd rather support them than one local UKIP-supporting lunatic local butcher.
    except that you're supporting a big business that doesn't give a damn about the 165 local people in its employ and lies to its investors about the financial state of the company. You never know, some of those 165 local employees might also be "lunatic UKIP supporters" ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    p90fool said:
    except that you're supporting a big business that doesn't give a damn about the 165 local people in its employ and lies to its investors about the financial state of the company. You never know, some of those 165 local employees might also be "lunatic UKIP supporters" ...
    @p90fool has Wales as his location in his profile.  52.5% of voters in Wales voted for Brexit so the odds are that most of them are at least sympathetic to UKIP.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    crunchman said:
    p90fool said:
    @p90fool has Wales as his location in his profile.  52.5% of voters in Wales voted for Brexit so the odds are that most of them are at least sympathetic to UKIP.
    Yeah, cos there's nothing we like better in Wales than union jack-waving posh city boys. 

:)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

I only buy from bakeries and butchers who vote Sinn Fein.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530

Kosher!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    On a serious note, our local Tesco has revitalised my local town. They're actually a pretty good employer compared to a lot of local companies, paying well above minimum wage, with good benefits packages and promotion routes and they happily recognise and work with Usdaw.

A lot of new businesses have opened and stayed open since they arrived, and other large companies are starting to piggyback now that Tesco have proved it's a town worth looking at. 

This is a town run formerly run by three or four local families for generations, who were on every committee, ran the council, blacklisted workers, fixed petrol prices and ran manky, illegally filthy and expensive shops seemingly immune from prosecution. 

And if you'd fallen out with so-and-so's second cousin when you were 15, don't even bother going to that job interview, you wouldn't stand a chance.

Some of us imagined a multinational company coming here to shut down what little we had left, when in fact they just smashed a cartel. 

Local isn't always better. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @P90fool Interesting perspective and nice clarification. Thanks for that. Wis awarded.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    I have mixed feelings about Tesco.  If I go back to my hometown (I'm originally from Devon) the High Street is absolutely deserted these days.  Everyone just goes to the big Tesco just outside of the centre of town and buys everything there.

When I was a kid there used to be an independent toy shop we used to love, there used to be a Tandy, and a Woolworths.  All of that stuff has gone now.  You can buy toys in Tesco, and you can buy most of what Woolworths used to sell.  It's not all Tesco's fault but I don't think it has helped. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    DiscoStu said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Local beer, local bread, local coffee.
    They grow coffee in your neck of the woods? :o
    My friends have a coffee roasting business, their coffee is more expensive than the big brands but it's tastier than most and they've got kids to feed.
    fair enough but I bet they're importing the beans
    That's irrelevant, all manufacturers need to source their materials. The point is they take the sacks of green beans, roast them on site in their cafe, grind it and bag it. It's local produce.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439

Depending on where exactly you live that could either be very easy or very difficult!
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    strtdv said:

Depending on where exactly you live that could either be very easy or very difficult!
    Unfortunately, for me, I live in Sandy Row.  
    edited March 2018
    Could be tricky. I used to live on Felt Street/off Blythe Street.
    You should ask in Kirk's if any of them vote Sinn Fein. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    strtdv said:
    Could be tricky. I used to live on Felt Street/off Blythe Street.
    You should ask in Kirk's if any of them vote Sinn Fein. 
    That's an idea.  I was going to ask in The Royal Bar if they get their booze from any Sinn Feiners, not sure how it'd go down though.
    Could be worse, could have been the Donegall Arms when it was on Roden Street
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    I picked up a couple of large ham hocks, a pound of amazing smoked bacon, 8 links of large farmhouse sausage and a couple of links of black pudding.  All from local animals and made on site near my house.

I left with change from a tenner.

i don’t go because they are local.  I go because the quality is amazing and the prices are better than most supermarkets.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    I picked up a couple of large ham hocks, a pound of amazing smoked bacon, 8 links of large farmhouse sausage and a couple of links of black pudding.  All from local animals and made on site near my house.

I left with change from a tenner.

i don’t go because they are local.  I go because the quality is amazing and the prices are better than most supermarkets.  
    And yet that scenario barely existed 30 years ago, the quality and prices are excellent BECAUSE of the supermarkets, they've been forced to up their game to stay in business. 

Our local greengrocer and butcher are fantastic and they're thriving because they're challenging the supermarket on quality, but they never made that effort before the supermarket arrived. 

I know my town may not be typical, but because it's fairly isolated it makes an interesting study in local market forces.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @p90fool ... wow for the On a serious note post!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Welcome to Wales lol