I stopped....

What's Hot
quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
edited March 2018 in Off Topic
..a fight. In a car-park yesterday. 

A oldish guy in a 4x4 with his two (threatening) sons (this was a school day) was shouting and yelling at someone in a people carrier (turns out he was a taxi driver). He was bright-red, practically foaming at the mouth. I watched for a couple of minutes in my rear-view mirror thinking it will blow over, but then he got out, and started reaching into the other guys car to steal his keys, and saying "I going to fucking destroy every panel on your car", "I'm going to fucking kill you," and other nice things. 

So I raced over, and managed to talk him down, telling him that whatever happened, it wasn't worth it, etc. When I gently took his arm I thought he was going to deck me, and it looked like his sons were going to get involved, but after a maybe a minute or so he calmed down enough to drive off, ironically, telling me the other guy was "a fucking gypsy who can't be trusted." 

The taxi-driver came over a couple of minutes later and was really thankful.

Made my day
0reaction image LOL 21reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    That should be some good karma coming your way. 
    Hats off to you, not many people would intervene in a situation like that
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12383
    Sadly lots of times these stories end with the 'you' getting the pasting instead. Good job for being prepared to step in. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    Good work sir. I've only ever been in a potential violent situation twice in my life and both left me shaking like a leaf afterwards. The first was when I punched somebody in the face who was trying to steal my phone on the bus, he grabbed it and my reflex was to punch his face and I'm still not sure how or why, he still got away with the phone to be fair but still.

The second was when I was "on the door" for a concert at my parents' church (very rock and roll!). Was just taking tickets etc then just as the concert started a drunk walked in demanding to "talk to god and listen to the beautiful music". Again I'm not sure how I stopped him but I made sure the bloody door was locked! My hands were still shaking when I started playing my Rhapsody in Blue an hour later!

Kudos to people who do this sort of thing without cowering like a baby 10 seconds later in a dark corner...
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24343
    Did you try to sell the drunk a ticket ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I'd have sat back, video'd the fight and sold it to the highest bidder.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Good on you. I’m glad courage hasn’t completely disappeared from our gene pool 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15506
    I'd have sat back, video'd the fight and sold it to the highest bidder.
    I really hate this attitude.

I'd have put it on youtube so everyone can watch it for free. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

24reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    edited March 2018
    busybody

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26623
    Good work.

I've found that sometimes, when people are that angry in public, they're actually hoping somebody'll come and calm it down to give them a way out. When it reaches that point, they've usually said they're going to do a lot of things that they'd really rather not follow through on, so all it takes it somebody with a cool head who doesn't get flustered easily.

Not necessarily the case here, of course.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I did exactly the same as you a few years back. Stopped a fight in the street... someone had already called the police and when they turned up they nicked the two folk having the fight and also threw me in the cells overnight despite my protests and the protests of various eye witnesses... cnuts! All of them!

my advice?... if you must get involved, limit it to calling the police!... don’t try and break up a fight as the feds, when they turn up, will just bundle you in as another protagonist!....
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    munckee said:
    Sadly lots of times these stories end with the 'you' getting the pasting instead. Good job for being prepared to step in. 
    That's why we need good guys with guns.

Simples.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Well done. I'd like to think I'd do the same. But until the situation arrives who knows. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I think the fact that I am about 61kg (and look it) means that I not typically viewed as a threat (unless I start mouthing off), so that probably helped. 

Besides like @thecolourbox , I haven't been in many situations like that (I have never punched in face, or received one in the face for example), so I kind of thought that it was unlikely to happen, and if it did, at least it would be a new experience. So not really bravery, more blind stupidity I think.

No doubt next time I will feel more confident, and get a pasting :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12383
    I got involved following a fight outside a nightclub in the Irish town of Sligo many years ago, I came out and someone had punched my mate for no reason whatsover, I stormed up and decked the bloke.  Being worse for wear I hadn't considered that the chap with a large group of other chaps and I was by this point on my own.

Next morning I had little nike and adidas symbols imprinted all over my back where I had been kicked so much.

Luckily I was wearing my beer coat and didn't feel a thing!
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Not all heroes wear capes.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    It's now official - you're a lover, not a fighter :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would’ve waited, and took the wallet off whichever one got knocked out first.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    That should be some good korma coming your way. 
    Hats off to you, not many people would intervene in a situation like that
    FTFY
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Pretty sure I wouldn’t have got involved, but I’m glad there are still good and courageous people around.
    Hats off to you mate!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Good job. I dont believe that usually an intervention like that would result in you being harmed. Just not many people try.

I will drink to your good health tonight!