What are the odds on this happening?

What's Hot
FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
You're sitting at home and there's a knock at the door and there's a guy trying to sell you energy and as you look at him you realise he was the drummer in your old school band whom you'd not seen since 1979.

Well this just happened ... the world is indeed odd.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    By "energy", do you mean cocaine? 
    17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I once tried to recruit for a prog rock band. One of the applicants turned out to be a chap from Infants school who I hadn't seen since 1964. Turned out he was more interested in selling me Amway products than he was in playing bass ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Fretwired said:
    You're sitting at home and there's a knock at the door and there's a guy trying to sell you energy and as you look at him you realise he was the drummer in your old school band whom you'd not seen since 1979.

Quite impressive that you even recognised him, after almost 40 years. Human memory is quite remarkable.

A couple of years ago I went to the opticians, and the manager was a chap who had been a part-time sales assistant at the music shop I worked for twenty years ago. We knew each other immediately.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    p90fool said:
    By "energy", do you mean cocaine? 
    Utility Warehouse ...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

Quite impressive that you even recognised him, after almost 40 years. Human memory is quite remarkable.

A couple of years ago I went to the opticians, and the manager was a chap who had been a part-time sales assistant at the music shop I worked for twenty years ago. We knew each other immediately.
    He also recognised me .. big school reunion next year so the band may reform for one night only ...

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:

Nothing wrong with your eyes then!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26623
    Fretwired said:

I can beat that - a couple of my mates from school randomly ran into each other in a bar in Paris, about 15 years after we left school.

Then three years later, having not had any contact since then, they ran into each other again...this time in Sydney.

Mental.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

I can beat that - a couple of my mates from school randomly ran into each other in a bar in Paris, about 15 years after we left school.

Then three years later, having not had any contact since then, they ran into each other again...this time in Sydney.

Mental.
    Beats mine .. wow.

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12383
    One and only chance probably to recount this story, though not mine.  Daughter of a woman I worked with was watching a group of buddist monks performing a dance in trafalgar square when a pigeon flew into the side of her head knocking her over.

She was recounting the story a few weeks later in a pub in Hampshire but was saying it happened to someone else.

A chap came over to their table and said he was in trafalgar square at the time as he was filming the monks for a documentary and recognised her as the person who got decked.
  • I have 2 from the past week.
    worked at same place for nearly 2 years now, last week was talking to one of the lads who I say hi to every morning, mentioned my daughter who went same primary school as his lad and when I said my daughters last name(which is also mine) he said..

'I used to hang around with a [my last name] in the 80s.. Dave his name was..'

'that's me' I replied..

well after a lot of to and froing of 'no' it turns out we were good mates for 5+ years in the 80s and had both changed so much we didn't recognise each other...

2nd one happened today.. I was covering for sickness in the City Centre, I have done before but never worked with who I was with today... anyhoo we got talking about past jobs and I mentioned my dad, uncle and their cousin family catering business that used to do all the major events and he said.

'I worked on a hog roast at the 1993 grand prix Silverstone, some woman I knew in my local in Markfiled(Leicester suburb) asked around for anyone wanting a few days work and I took it, it was brilliant we went the night before to set up and one of the lads off the hog roast made bacon sarnies for the bar staff and the bar gave us free drinks all night'

this woman was my Dads Cousins wife and I was the one making the bacon sarnies for the bar staff...
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    A drummer knocked on my door too.
    I told him to beat it... :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    jellyroll said:
    A drummer knocked on my door too.
    I told him to beat it... :)
    Presumably you knew it was a drummer because the knocking speeded up ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    Fretwired said:

Was he from Octopus energy? If so I can see why you'd want a six armed creature as your drummer, would be quite useful I imagine
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    years ago left work for a two week holiday, and left the premises at the same time as another bloke who i always spoke to. we walked across the car park said goodbye. ten days later was sat in the star trek experience at disney world florida , when they brought onstage the member of the public they plucked from the queue outside and made up as a klingon. the bloke i worked with!. didn't see him after the show , and asked him on his first day back how he enjoyed being a klingon.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    After a few weeks of meeting then dating the future MrsTheWeary we were having a discussion about our families. Worked out that our elder sisters had done their nursing training together, so had known each other for many years. Must have been loads of times when the future MrsTheWeary and I could have met over the years but we hadn’t (or at least couldn’t remember if we had). 

I have run into people from work on holiday although nowhere far flung. One was on a campsite in Wales and the other whilst out for a walk in the Forest of Dean. Quite odd how in my stride I took these, didn’t seem any more surprising than bumping into them in Tesco.
     I once bumped into someone who had been on my social work course ( maybe ten years previous) in a visitors toilet in a young offenders institution in Portland. He had moved down there from Coventry and was there a lot ( the prison, not just the toilet) although it was the only time I ever went. I instantly recognised him and remembered his name, quite weird how much detail came to mind during our chat by the hand dryers. 

I have a sort of reverse coincidence/ memory story. Years ago when I was working in Probation I supervised a woman who had been convicted of fraud. After about 6 months of regular appointments I was obviously short of things to say and asked about a bit more about her past. Turned out we went to high school together for three years ( roughly 20 years previously). We had no memory of each other but remembered loads of people in common. Wasn’t really a story for the school reunion though. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Went interrailing 25 years ago. Didn’t know where I was going, just headed off to see where I would end up

week later sitting outside a tiny chapel on a hill in Athens, and someone said “Steve ?” And it was my flatmate and his girlfriend on holiday.  

William and Kate’s wedding few years back, had a street party. Was having a nice glass of wine with one of the neighbours,and it turns out we were at university at the same time also circa 25 years previous, and we used to play in the same rugby team.  I still don’t recognise him !

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15506
    I think it depends on how many drummers your band had. I mean, if it had, like, 4 billion, then the odds are pretty low. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    The odds against me ever learning a reasonable version of the outro of Sultans of Swing are lengthening at an alarming rate even allowing for the fact that a member here emailed the tab for that song.  Pull offs [on the guitar] are not very convincing when you pass the 60 age barrier.......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3219
    edited March 2018
     Unfortunately this only ever happens with ex-girlfriends that I really wish would neither remember or recognise me!  s
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited March 2018
    Sham 69's first drummer ended up being my postman - just 2 years after being on TOTP - oh how i japed...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>