What are the odds on this happening?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    Bumped into 3 members of my first band (having split 12 years previously) in a nightclub in Las Vegas at 2am - the singer and I were looking at each other for almost a minute at the bar, both of us clearly thinking "Nah, it can't be..."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Stopped for lunch in Waggamammas in Winchester today. Our waitress had a little chat while we were waiting for the bill:

Waitress - What you doing with the rest of your day?

Us - not sure, we just drove over for lunch and a look around.

W - you not local then?

Us - Near Portsmouth

W - I'm from Portsmouth

Us - Well, actually Horndean

W - Oh, I live on Hayling

Us - My parents live on Hayling, near Mengham.

W - I used to work I'm Mengham, in the Nationwide.

Us - I know the guy who used to run the Nationwide, Derek.

W - He's my brothers father in law.

Us - Your brother is Nathan? 

Turns out she's the sister of a client, who is also my best mates brother in law.

Ran-dom! 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    Many years ago had to pop down to London unexpectedly just before Christmas to get some papers for a legal case. I was living near Chester at the time and I caught the Holyhead boat train back. I got talking to an Irish guy in my compartment on his way home for Christmas (compartment, that's how long ago it was...) and it turned out he was student at the school of Tropical Hygiene and Medicine. He said he'd just come back from Africa with another bloke where they had been doing some research work. So, journey ends, I go home and me and the wife go up to Yorkshire for a couple of days to see family. I'm in this pub with my Dad and I go to the bar, There's a guy at the bar obviously tanned buying a round saying to the barman who had asked him where he'd been  'I'm a student at the school of Tropical Hygiene and Medicine. Me and my mate are just back from Africa, he's gone home to Ireland for Christmas.'

I was at a place called Tambourine Mountain in Oz a couple of years ago. Not exactly on the tourist trail but well known to locals. I was having a coffee with the wife when a couple sat down at the next table. He had a slight Yorkshire accent and I asked where he was from. Turns out we were in the same class at primary school 50 years before, he had lived in Oz for 45 years.
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Walking up a long road in the pissing rain just outside Banff, Canada... met an Irish couple who had made the same mistake as us and not noticed the little ‘not to scale’ label on the map which apparently showed the Sulphur Mountain cable car being just beyond the edge of town - it’s actually about 3 miles.

Got talking and it turned out the woman’s sister worked in the same office in Edinburgh as MrsICBM.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9553
    Fretwired said:
    You're sitting at home and there's a knock at the door and there's a guy trying to sell you energy and as you look at him you realise he was the drummer in your old school band whom you'd not seen since 1979.

Well this just happened ... the world is indeed odd.
    Send him round to me... we’re after a drummer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    I've posted this before but can't find it.

My band played a wedding in rural Staffs where the groom reformed his University band - they used our gear and played their usual 5 song set from the early 90s. I got talking to their singer (who'd been using my amp) and he told me he'd come down from Sheffield for the wedding and also that he was Bjorn in an Abba tribute. 

The very next weekend I went with my wife to one of her work colleague's 50th birthday party at her work's social club. I was vaguely aware she'd booked an Abba tribute but imagine my (and his) surprise when it was the same bloke. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    When we first arrived in Oz two years ago we were at a park on Bribie Island about half an hour from where we live... asked a gent in his 80’s walking past to take a family photo for us which he duly did, then he asked us, ‘which part of Wales are you from then?’... He then kept asking until he drilled it down to the street we had lived on for the 15 years before we left and said ‘my dad lived on that street before he emigrated in the (I think he said) 1920’s’... he’d been back there to see where his dad lived in the 1980’s and described my home village in great detail (it’s the Valleys, not a lot has changed over the years!)... bizarre!