Tolex, can it be painted ?

What's Hot

Comments

• baldybaldy Frets: 195
    So painting the Katana is out, re-covering with a different colour Tolex (possibly orange) is difficult to get a neat finish.
    I liked the sound of the Katana I tried so it seems that the easiest solution then is just to swap the Vypyr with the Katana when I get it on Wednesday & see what happens.
    Meantime I suppose I should start having a listen to some Orange combo"s in case Mrs b "makes" me buy one to go with our decor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Please just get it recovered by Zilla Cabs or some other pro outfit.  It'll be the best birthday present you've ever bought her
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9626
    martinw said:
    DJH83004 said:
    .....it did give off some pretty horrible fumes - like pear drops.....
    Cyanide.
    Or in NBC terms, H Type blood agent.
    No, pear drops are esters. Cyanides smell of almonds. I remember being shown round a semiconductor wafer fab plant when I was a student where they used HCN in the process - seeing our faces when the guy said the word cyanide he said “if you think you can smell almonds - run!”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4526
    Sell the Katana.  Then buy the Orange, and one of every pedal in the Boss range...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    matone said:
    The world`s been trying to get paint OFF tolex for years ,LOL.
    True. I've got paint blobs on this & that from various ham-fisted attempts at internal decoration and they don't come off easily.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I’ve painted tolex successfully. Durability depends on how often it’s getting transported and gigged. Sitting in the front room it’ll be ok as long as you aren’t climbing on it and practicing stage dives. But surely a black box in the corner is less obvious than a bright orange box??? 

So, paint has become available that covers most surfaces, including pvc window frames. They’re famously hard to paint. Bit it does work. Use it as an undercoat.  Then I use One Shot enamel of whatever colour. Lots of coats and care needed. Probably not advisable unless you’ve fooled around like this before. 

And yeah, maybe buy a second hand Orange amp. But we love to tinker and customise so I understand the compulsion!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72353
    matone said:
    The world`s been trying to get paint OFF tolex for years ,LOL.
    True. I've got paint blobs on this & that from various ham-fisted attempts at internal decoration and they don't come off easily.
    Sounds like Crown Emulsion would work then... it's bound to come in orange.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    Make a plywood sleeve and push the Boss Katana into it. You can make the sleeve any colour or finish you like and the Boss will remain clean and tidy ready for resale.
    If herself does a makeover in the living room you can refinish the sleeve to match.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    ESBlonde said:
    Make a plywood sleeve and push the Boss Katana into it. You can make the sleeve any colour or finish you like and the Boss will remain clean and tidy ready for resale.
    If herself does a makeover in the living room you can refinish the sleeve to match.
    If you do the sleeve in white it will never clash!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    ESBlonde said:
    If you do the sleeve in white it will never clash!
    Or better still, finish it like this & she'll never even see it.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 891
    edited March 2018
    "Vynylkote" would work, and is able to change black to a lighter colour with the right preparation, but the cost and effort involved would probably mean you'd be better off buying a different amp, or a cover.  Although it would be cool to have the only orange Katana in existence.

http://www.kolorbond.co.uk/vinylkote-paint-leather-vinyl

Edit: just noticed @Corvus mentioned similar stuff and its possible patchiness, and I can't say I've actually seen a real example of black to lighter colour in person (only pictures).  I have seen red->blue, tan->red and brown->black though, and all looked excellent (vinyl car seats).
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    edited March 2018
    Get some orange dust. Dust is about the only thing Ive seen stick (annoyingly so) to tolex. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Ha ha some excellent, & some funny replies.
    I am picking the black Katana up tomorrow in my lunch break.
    i will place it in my lounge as inconspicuously as possible, as in I will swap it with the Vypyr which is currently in the room & see what reaction I get from Mrs b.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    She may be pleasantly surprised by the Katana. I doubt they're particularly hard wearing, but the finish looks very neat indeed, much less clunky and industrial than your average black combo. 
    Well it"s now in my lounge (the Katana 50 that is) & not a peep out of Mrs b so far so finger crossed.
    Well Mrs b is not impressed with the looks of the Katana  :/
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    Get an orange slip cover made for when your not using it. 
    What is a "slip cover ?
    OK just used the search facility & have seen what a "slip cover" is.
    Mrs b wants the cabinet & grill cloth a different colour.
    Just putting an orange cover on it is not going to cut it with her I am afraid.
    It is either change the colours of the Katana or it will have to go in the back bedroom.
    As it has taken me months to get the guitars onto the lounge wall I am going to have to go for the colour change.
    I am impressed with the sound & ease of use of the Katana so I don"t particularly want to get rid of it & get another amp but I am going to have to make it look like like an Orange amp.
    Fecking hell, women !
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Just throw a bit of fabric over it!
    For a while the band I'm in were covering our Marshalls and Ampegs with pink satin throws.
    I think I only stopped when the pink clashed with the colour of my new guitar.
    But the point is:  it's bloody simple and looks pretty.  Sort of .