Tolex, can it be painted ?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Easier to let her have her way. 

Such a terrible shame that that you’ll have to go buy an orange amp.

i recommend something from the custom shop. It’s what she deserves. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • baldybaldy Frets: 195
     "happy wife happy life".
    It"s just not worth the grief & if I can keep her happy about the amp there is more chance of me getting another guitar that I have my eye on  =)
    I am going to have a go at changing the colour scheme of the Katana & if that fails she will only have herself to blame when I have to go out & blow some more money on an Orange.
    She"s having a new 3 piece suite what more does she want.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72357
    Just cut to the chase and buy a Rocker 15. You know anything else won't be good enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

But but but I am liking the Katana, it is a massive step up from the Vypyr I have.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72357
    How about split the difference with one of these?

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/roland-cube-street-red/35441

Technically it's red according to Roland, but it is quite an orangey red...

Or ask someone like Zilla Cabs how much it would cost to re-cover/grille the Katana professionally.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I have emailed Zilla but I have a feeling that a re-cover/re-grill will cost as much as I paid for the Katanna.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    There’s nothing for it, you’re going to have to trade in Mrs B for a more agreeable model. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4526
    Just a thought - could you change the combo for the head, and get an Orange 1x12 to run it through?  Hide the head behind the cab when you're not using it.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    surely a slip cover can be any colour MrsB wants it to be? If it covers the katana when you're not using it won't that be enough?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Well as I thought getting the Katana professionally recovered is to to expensive at £180 from Zilla.
    Roqsolid will only do covers in black with coloured piping which  means that the cover would still be 99% black.
    I have shown Mrs b a picture of one with orange piping & she wasn"t taken with it.
    My options therefore are to attempt recovering it myself which I don"t really want to do, or to buy a combo the correct colour.
    I think I can feel some Orange combo shopping coming on  =)
    As Mrs b has the lounge decor & furnishings completely changed every spring I suppose that means that I get a new combo every year  =)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    A furniture covering/soft furnishing type person should be able to make a slip-on cover, or a bike seat re-cover person. Car interior people maybe but tend to be pricey and booked up well ahead.
    My other half does soft covers, curtains etc and has made pedalboard bag & amp head cover for me in double quick time. If they can make vinyl cushion covers for instance this sort of thing'd be simple enough.
    Some of the farm it out to a maker, go to the source, with luck there'll be one localish. Best let them do any measuring.
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    Have you ever seen Plasti-Dip?

I haven't tried it on a cab, but I have on numerous other things of value, not least my car. It sprays on like a paint, but forms a vinyl layer once dry. It peels off with no residue when you want to remove it.

It isn't the most durable of finishes as it is quite soft, but if you aren't planning on moving it around a lot so it wouldn't get dinged it might be worth the (ish) tenner for a rattle can and do a test patch on the underside of your Katana. It would only rip like tolex would rip I'd have thought.

Also comes in a huge range of colours to please Mrs B!
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5375
    How attached to Mrs B are you?
    ;)

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I'd just grow a spine and tell her to deal with it, but then I've been single for ten odd years so taking my advice wouldn't be the best thing!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Do you need a loud amp? A Yamaha THR 10 is a good practice amp and might be aesthetically acceptable. 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    I love this idea. I'm tempted to see if I can fit an amp and speaker into some of the upcycled retro furniture (that's apparently n more important than guitar amps) and turn it into a stealth amp. It would be even better if I could do it without Mrs Flying Pie noticing.

Do you need a loud amp? A Yamaha THR 10 is a good practice amp and might be aesthetically acceptable. 

No I don"t need a "loud" amp & the THR10 probably would be more acceptable to Mrs b, but of the amps I tried out, including a THR10, I thought that the Katana had the best sound & was very intuitive to dial in good tones just using the knobs without having to use an app.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31591
    Buy some black vinyl curtains - problem solved.