Can anyone please explain to me

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4985
how anyone can deem F1 'racing' a sport? An endless procession of cars looping a track, almost no overtaking or racing as most of us would define racing. At least with rally driving, everyone, theoretically, has the same chance of winning as they all drive the same circuit with a clear road in front.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4792
    Not me. I've got a friend who loves it and really enjoys the tactical side of the whole thing. I prefer MotoGP myself. Yes, there is a difference between machines and some teams have better bikes than others (just like rallying, mind...) but there's often plenty of overtaking and close racing. The days of one rider vanishing off into the distance aren't so common, these days. It doesn't get decided by the safety car and pit stops. Moto3 is even better, as the bikes are more matched and the riders are young enough to be fearless. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    It’s still better than watching 22 millionaires kicking a leather balloon about whilst 20000 people cheer them on!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    poopot said:
    It’s still better than watching 22 millionaires kicking a leather balloon about whilst 20000 people cheer them on!
    I disagree both are boring.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited March 2018
    I’m not disagreeing as F1 can be so dull, today highlighted that with no one able to overtake. 

Still comparing it to WRC, Ogier has won the championship the last 5 times, and before him wasn’t it 9 years for Loab? Even more dominant than the recent F1 winners. 

For great fun close (4 wheel) racing look at the World Rally Cross, brilliant stuff. Even Touring Cars has much more wheel to wheel action than F1, sometimes enhanced by success ballast and reverse grids, but the on track action is super. 

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15505
    more of a sport than watching a bunch of horses running round a track getting whipped and occasionally shot. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    More of a sport than that thing where you recognised someone, but halfway to saying hello you realise that you don't like them at all and have to work out how to get out of the situation gracefully.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    Boring sports...

Cricket

Anything where marks are awarded for artistic impression such as synchronised swimming, figure skating, etc.

Any 'sports' done to music (see above)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    apparently bridge didn't get recognised as a sport. However I reckon it could be a lot more interesting than most sports.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Rocker said:
    how anyone can deem F1 'racing' a sport? An endless procession of cars looping a track, almost no overtaking or racing as most of us would define racing. At least with rally driving, everyone, theoretically, has the same chance of winning as they all drive the same circuit with a clear road in front.
    You don’t have to watch it, you know.... 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Not sure where it says a sport has to entertain to be a sport.

F1 is sticking to its guns on so many things, and this is at a cost to the entertainment factor, but of course its a sport.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    edited March 2018
    VimFuego said:
    more of a sport than watching a bunch of horses running round a track getting whipped and occasionally shot. 
    Not so.

By definition, a *sport* involves cruelty to animals and the making of wagers.

Thus, horse racing is a sport. Greyhound racing is a sport. Hare coursing is a sport. Boxing is a sport. Proper amateur Rugby Union Football is a sport. 

Association Football ceased to be a sport in the Nineteenth century, once it was codified. The old-fashioned version, with mobs from adjoining villages kicking the shit out of each other of an afternoon, was a sport.

Formula One motor racing ceased to be much fun once the cars became half as wide as the track. Motorcycle racing - even with sidecars - remains interesting because overtaking is still possible, as is the risk of sudden death.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    VimFuego said:
    Not so.

Thus, horse racing is a sport. Greyhound racing is a sport. Hare coursing is a sport. Boxing is a sport. Proper amateur Rugby Union Football is a sport. 

Association Football ceased to be a sport in the Nineteenth century, once it was codified. The old-fashioned version, with mobs from adjoining villages kicking the shit out of each other of an afternoon, was a sport.

Formula One motor racing ceased to be much fun once the cars became half as wide as the track. Motorcycle racing - even with sidecars - remains interesting because overtaking is still possible, as is the risk of sudden death.
    By what definition?  An ancient one if any at all and probably not even directly based on the origin of the word anyway.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I watched the end. They said Hamilton lost because there was a software glitch in the virtual safety car. Gripping stuff.

I did go see a formula 1 exhibition race thingy once. Wow it was loud, really quite amazing. But very hard to follow as they went by you so quickly. Once you’d gone ooh that’s quick that was about it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    VimFuego said:
    Not so.

by that definition golf is certainly a sport. Well it is if you incorporate some minor rule adjustments I developed; mainly, snipers hidden in bushes taking pot shots at the golfers. 
    Admittedly, using rifles is not especially sporting, but in the UK it is illegal to hunt with long bows. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    VimFuego said:
    VimFuego said:
    Not so.

by that definition golf is certainly a sport. Well it is if you incorporate some minor rule adjustments I developed; mainly, snipers hidden in bushes taking pot shots at the golfers. 
    Admittedly, using rifles is not especially sporting, but in the UK it is illegal to hunt with long bows. 
    Add some mortars to create new bunkers and add some shock and awe ... and exploding balls.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:
    VimFuego said:
    VimFuego said:
    Not so.

Add some mortars to create new bunkers and add some shock and awe ... and exploding balls.
    and the bunkers would give the golfers a sporting chance, I'm seeing potential here. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Rocker said:
    We discussed this on here a few years ago and suggested the tracks fitted sprinklers. If the race is boring then the race officials can turn on the sprinklers and soak the track and then close the pit lane .... that should sort the men out from the boys ..

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Jumps, add jumps. 

https://youtu.be/ZlKRK2QqtaY
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Yeah but will be even more intriguing when Google enters F1 with their driverless car!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

https://youtu.be/ZlKRK2QqtaY
    wtf am I watching .. it's addictive ... :-)