[vid down for now, soz] A compilation of my dashcam footage...

What's Hot

Comments

• GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    rlw said:
    Keeping left a bit more would help.  A few times watching that I muttered "move over you twat"........
    Plus a lack of anticipation, awareness and observation. Being trigger happy on the horn instigates a lot of problems too.

what’s the common denominator in all of the clips?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    Thanks fully I don't need to commute these days, but when I'm in the car I assume all other road users are blind idiots. When I'm on the bike I assume all other road users are homicidal maniacs actively trying to kill me.
    Seems safest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Thanks fully I don't need to commute these days, but when I'm in the car I assume all other road users are blind idiots. When I'm on the bike I assume all other road users are homicidal maniacs actively trying to kill me.
    Seems safest.

This. A million times this
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I don't think Essex is that bad.  I've been driving around here since the late 1990's.  Romford is probably not for everyone, but the M25/A217/A13/A12 are generally OK...  

I've got friends in St Neots, and I've found driving around there far worse.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    You have different problems in different locations.  You get nutters in Essex - we have one at our work who comes in from Essex.

In West London, you get the yummy mummies in their Chelsea tractors who haven't got a clue how to reverse.  Just because it's a stereotype doesn't mean it's not true.  If they meet each other on a narrow residential street it can get quite funny - as long as you aren't the one stuck behind them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    @octatonic is 100% correct.

I drove completely differently after getting a full bike licence. 

EVERYONE IS OUT TO KILL ME. End of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    crunchman said:
    You have different problems in different locations.  You get nutters in Essex - we have one at our work who comes in from Essex.

In West London, you get the yummy mummies in their Chelsea tractors who haven't got a clue how to reverse.  Just because it's a stereotype doesn't mean it's not true.  If they meet each other on a narrow residential street it can get quite funny - as long as you aren't the one stuck behind them.
    I agree. The worst place I’ve seen for this kind of stereotypical behaviour is Southall. Loads of Asian yummy mummies round that way driving around in huge Mercs, Audi’s, Porsche’s and Beemers etc with seemingly no idea of how big the car is, where the limits of the car are or the first idea of how to manoeuvre them if there’s the slightest problem.  
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Other than intentional recklessness I think the worst driving habit is hesitancy.
    When people start to do something, then stop and hesitate, then go again, then stop, maybe change direction- that is what causes issues, especially when on two wheels.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I sometimes have to drive around at 6 am and there's a strong sense that driving behaviour is mitigated by volume of traffic/ perceived chance of being caught. People drive much worse at 6am. But then your video shows people happy to drive like complete ****s even in heavy traffic. 
    Both my son's are learning to drive at the moment, I always say first rule is assume everyone else is an idiot. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited March 2018
    Garthy said:
    rlw said:
    Keeping left a bit more would help.  A few times watching that I muttered "move over you twat"........
    Plus a lack of anticipation, awareness and observation. Being trigger happy on the horn instigates a lot of problems too.

what’s the common denominator in all of the clips? 

I rewatched and analysed. 

There is only one clip (second one) where I’m sat in the middle lane, and thats because I saw mr man speeding up my inside. So it was best not to move to the inside surely?

The only other ones where I could possibly have moved left sooner were perhaps halfway round the roundabouts?

In each other clip Im sure I was in the correct lane based on where I’d come from and what exit I was taking.

ie. Not changing lane halfway around, when the lane I’m in is for the exit I’m taking.  The m25 one for example, that slip road onto the m25 has 2 lanes which merge halfway down it. 

But, yep I can see what you mean, sometimes (the bmw doing the U turn) I could have known she would just pull out without looking, so should have slowed up and let her. 

In others though, as my speed shows I’m driving under the limit because I do anticipate people just pulling out on me (about 3 or 4 clips). So I’ve been able to stop in time or slow enough. 

Im not getting arsey though, I admit I get hot headed and can improve my observation and awareness. Also I jump on the horn. Regardless of being in the right, it does just serve to piss people off, and around here it may as well be an invotayion to a stabbing.

But I do think its there and a darn sight better than some people! 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Spend a few weeks cycling around London.  That will develop your observation and awareness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Aye. Tell you what, I’m about to make all the same journeys. 

I’ll be aware that I’ll be more aware and anticipate more. 
    Always open to suggestions. 
    Driving is a certain stress and anxiety these days. 

Have started leaving an hour and 15 mins to get to work, which allows me 15 mins of sat in the car park the other end having a fag, but also means I never need to be in a rush. Which is excellent. 
    So the speed limiter goes on and mostly its a laid back ride in! 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12388
    octatonic said:
    munckee said:
    Grunfeld said:
    mid57 said:
    Ah the joys of driving in Romford I remember it well,  moved away 10 years ago but still in Essex was better but I,m sure its going same way (Maldon) been getting worse over last 5 years Suffolk beckons I think
    @mid57 ;; I'm in Dagenham, recognise all those roads too!  Funnily enough playing in Latchingdon next week and you've reminded me of what it's like driving out in Essex on a  Saturday night!

octatonic said:

It doesn't matter that you are in the right, just drive more defensively and you'll enjoy it a lot more.

FWIW I totally agree with that. 
    I think riding motorbikes helped a lot here.  Self-preservation requires defensive driving/ riding.
    I'm always astounded by motorbike riders who are prepared to gamble their lives by riding up the sides of traffic, either side and veering in front of people thus relying on the car drivers reactions.  On the A27 near me there seems to be a belief there is a third lane between the two lanes for motorbikes to undertake everyone.

Some of the best road users and the worst seem to like motorbikes!
    Do you mean filtering?
    That is actually legal in the UK, with a couple of caveats.

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/filtering-motorbike-whats-law/

Filtering at 60 whilst the traffic is moving at 45 is completely stupid, but filtering between slow moving or stationary traffic under 30mph is not only legal but safer.

I'm a cyclist and knew filtering is legal, I'm talking about motorbikes riding in between and across moving traffic and doing 90 in between a lane doing 60 and one doing 70+

Its harder on a cycle as you can find yourself 'overtaking' then the traffic suddenly moves and you are stuck on the outside.

I assume that's a great way to halve your life expectancy!
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    I say this as an Audi driver. There was some bad driving there but at the same time you could have been a bit less aggressive. The bmw doing the uturn - you could have stopped and let him finish rather than going round him. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1774
    @skunkwerx what dashcam have you got? The picture quality seems really good, even at night.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1774
    BigMonka said:
    @skunkwerx what dashcam have you got? The picture quality seems really good, even at night.
    Scrap that, I just watched the last bit where you've written it's a Nextbase 402g.
    A good Terminator walk back to the card as the final scene :-)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Inconsiderate fuckers!   did you manage to sell any ice    creams?
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    rlw said:
    Yep, I stopped watching after the first one, where I sympathised with the chav in the red Corsa.
    edited March 2018
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    Video removed?