Bargain. Dumble content.....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3214
    tFB Trader
    The price commanded by the seller is not based on the actual value of the cable itself, but by the potential value lost by an owner if his original Dumble Head and Cab doesn't have the original.

Collectors demand originality, and that comes with a price (or penalty in this case). People will pay £5k for an original M-69 pickup ring from a 1959 Burst if it means their one is back to full originality - get your head around that one!

*On a personal note, I think it's all very silly*

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    RiftAmps said:
    The price commanded by the seller is not based on the actual value of the cable itself, but by the potential value lost by an owner if his original Dumble Head and Cab doesn't have the original.

Collectors demand originality, and that comes with a price (or penalty in this case). People will pay £5k for an original M-69 pickup ring from a 1959 Burst if it means their one is back to full originality - get your head around that one!

The more you think about this, the more ridiculous it is..

”I will lose out £1500 if I don’t have the original cable for my dumble head and amp, so I’m going to pay £1500 for a replacement and fob off the buyer that it’s the original cable”

lol. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3214
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:

”I will lose out £1500 if I don’t have the original cable for my dumble head and amp, so I’m going to pay £1500 for a replacement and fob off the buyer that it’s the original cable”

lol. 
    I actually think the loss value is higher than the item price, eg amp is worth £2k less without it so £1500 suddenly seems worth it
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    RiftAmps said:
    RiftAmps said:

lol. 
    I actually think the loss value is higher than the item price, eg amp is worth £2k less without it so £1500 suddenly seems worth it

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Rocker said:
    This kind of thread, and religions threads too, reveal a lot about the keyboard warriors who post threads and replies. It appears that most people want or need to be considered 'sound' and 'dependable' members of the community, in this case theFretBoard. To be accepted by the community, they feel that they must advance 'sound' ideas and/or agree with other members who voice so called sound opinions (usually on subjects that the majority never think about from one day to the next).

I am sure that Freud must have written about this phenomenon, I must look it up. Human interaction and so called group think is a fascinating subject. Every day I see examples of it here. 
    What are you going on about man?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    This kind of thread, and religions threads too, reveal a lot about the keyboard warriors who post threads and replies. It appears that most people want or need to be considered 'sound' and 'dependable' members of the community, in this case theFretBoard. To be accepted by the community, they feel that they must advance 'sound' ideas and/or agree with other members who voice so called sound opinions (usually on subjects that the majority never think about from one day to the next).

I am sure that Freud must have written about this phenomenon, I must look it up. Human interaction and so called group think is a fascinating subject. Every day I see examples of it here. 
    I don’t think there has been anything said to brand the people posting here as “keyboard warriors”. The general consensus is that it’s amusing for someone to try to sell a cable (which has no provenance) for £1500 because it was made by Dumble. 

It could have been made by someone in China last year for all we know. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12089
    Rocker believes that pricey cables made by hand by chaste virgin sonic priestesses positively affect the electricity passing through them, so any insult to inexplicably expensive cables is a bit like a personal insult 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2738
    edited March 2018
    lonestar said:
    Rocker said:

I don’t think there has been anything said to brand the people posting here as “keyboard warriors”. The general consensus is that it’s amusing for someone to try to sell a cable (which has no provenance) for £1500 because it was made by Dumble. 

The definition of "keyboard warrior" seems to be "a person who behaves aggressively and/or in an inflammatory manner in online text-based discussion media, but at the same time does not behave similarly in real life".

For what it's worth anyone is more than welcome to come to my workshop and I will tell them in person that I consider that paying £1500 for a Dumble speaker cable is insanity.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    lonestar said:
    And it could have been ‘made’ by Alexander/Howard Dumble himself - and by ‘made’ - I mean ‘soldered together’.

Now I’m reasonably proficient at soldering - but I accept Alex/Howie might be better than me - but I’m buggered if I’d pay that much to find out....
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    Rocker said:

Freud also wrote about another phenomenon, namely that of "People writing forum posts pissed in the clubhouse after the monthly medal". 

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    I saw this earlier...ridiculous price in isolation.

but i guess if you're willing to pay $30k for an amp, and $30k for a 2x12 cab...then $2k for a cable is total reasonable.

i mean, my amp and cab is about $3k, so $100 for a cable isn't out of the question...

Then again if you're willing to pay that much the amp to start with, either you have too much money with no idea what to do with it (you could donate and help the less fortunate) or you're an investor/collector, in which case all the common sense we exercise here has no place in the matter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73019
    samzadgan said:

but i guess if you're willing to pay $30k for an amp, and $30k for a 2x12 cab...then $2k for a cable is total reasonable.

i mean, my amp and cab is about $3k, so $100 for a cable isn't out of the question...
    No, this is the audiophile cable spending fallacy - the idea that you should 'set a percentage of your total budget for cables', and thus that you should automatically spend more on cables when you spend more on equipment.

Beyond a certain price - probably about £50 per cable, even if you're paying someone to make them by hand - there is no point spending any more because there will be *no* improvement, no matter how expensive and genuinely better-sounding the things you're connecting together with it are.

This Dumble cable isn't even a good cable, no matter that it was made by hand - because he used crap plugs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12089
    ICBM said:
    samzadgan said:

No, this is the audiophile cable spending fallacy - the idea that you should 'set a percentage of your total budget for cables', and thus that you should automatically spend more on cables when you spend more on equipment.

Beyond a certain price - probably about £50 per cable, even if you're paying someone to make them by hand - there is no point spending any more because there will be *no* improvement, no matter how expensive and genuinely better-sounding the things you're connecting together with it are.

This Dumble cable isn't even a good cable, no matter that it was made by hand - because he used crap plugs.
    Although it's laughable as a quality / cost issue,
    if it's a genuine artefact, it could be worth the investment as a museum piece
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2738
    ICBM said:

Also the fallacy that the more expensive solution is always the better solution.....
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12709
    I'm waiting for Howard to come forth and say "April Fool!" about this whole bollocks that is the myth of Dumble Amps.

I've not heard a single recording, clip, live show or video of a player using one where I don't think a similar sound could be achieved (in fact, in a couple of cases a *better one*) using equipment costing far far far less. I genuinely, genuinely don't get it.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2446
    edited April 2018
    So it's just a cable, then?

Robben Ford plays through a Dumble.
    He also plays, amongst other amps, through a Fender Twin.
    Yet whatever he plays through he still sounds like Robben Ford.

The question is: does the Fender Twin (and whatever else) have a Dumble speaker cable attached to it?...