2»

Comments

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Where's the neck from, Fez?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11156
    tFB Trader
    Fez said:
    I did have a slight problem with fitting the single coil pick ups, the screws supplied don't go through the scratch plate holes. Fortunately I had some that fitted and springs so it worked out OK.

The screws were vintage Fender spec ones (bought in bulk from the US) ... sometimes modern scratchplates are of a different size. Glad it worked out though

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12537
    Loving the body colour, what shade of Wudtone did you use?
  • FezFez Frets: 550
    The neck was from Touchstone tonewoods great value at £35 only needed a tickle on the nut slots and the heel taking down a bit, had a sitar effect on the B string but that's OK now.

Ash The scratchplate was modelled on the one from my Jap HSS strat which was a precurser to the Heavy Metal strat. It is that strat that the twin of the chrome scratchplate is fitted on. I think the pup fittings are non standard, not a big deal though.

Boogieman the finish is Cherry Flamenco from Wudtone, the two pics below make it look slightly more orange than it is in real life - prob the camera flash. The body is swamp ash which works well with the wudtone. I would love to do a Mohagany body strat in the same colour.

I found the feel better after adding the 3rd spring in the trem. The pick ups sound great although I did have one issue as I forgot to solder the volume pot lug to the case so I had two tones and no volume control Lol. Next time I order any bits I might spring for a couple of orange drops to try.

I haven't decided on a Fezcaster logo yet, If I hadn't coloured the headstock I could have got a mate to laser etch on, I will think of something but no hurry I just want to play the beast.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12537
    Ta for that.
    How did you find the whole wudtone thing? Easy to do? How many coats did you put on eventually? I've got an ash Strat body that's slightly darker toned than yours that I'm thinking of wudtoning and that colour looks like it could work pretty well.
  • FezFez Frets: 550
    Boogieman - It takes some patience but wudtone is miles easier than spraying. It's important to follow the instructions, how many coats you do depends a bit on what the colour is and how the wood takes it. I did at least four of each coat.
       I also did one coat of the clear finish on the neck which feels great.
       If I hadn't had the chrome scratch plate I would have gone for a black one with a chrome trem which would look very cool I think.
    Don't touch that dial.