Premier League and Relegation

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9887
    Sesh said:
    As a Southampton can I prefer to call it qualifying for the championship, not relegation.

It astounds me we are in this position. Money isn't a problem, our academy and scouting seem to work well. We have good players. But successive management choices have been dire. The board have sleep walked the club to nowhere. 
    Could substitute West Brom in that post too, except for the "good scouting" bit...
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sesh said:
    As a Southampton can I prefer to call it qualifying for the championship, not relegation.

It astounds me we are in this position. Money isn't a problem, our academy and scouting seem to work well. We have good players. But successive management choices have been dire. The board have sleep walked the club to nowhere. 
    Could substitute West Brom in that post too, except for the "good scouting" bit...
    West Brom got "Pardewed" ...I can't see him getting another job now. There must be a limit to failure!

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    proggy said:
    Nitefly said:
    Yes, yes, but...

ACCRINGTON STANLEY!!!

Promoted to League One for he first time ever! =)

Who are they?
    I was going to answer that with a link to the ad but then realised you are about eight steps ahead of me! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Another Saints fan here - the damage was done a long time before Hughes got anywhere near taking over as manager. You could see Saints decline started well before the end of last season.

It's interesting to see which clubs now have Chinese interests/owners.

Man city
    Saints
    West Bromwich
    Villa
    Birmingham City
    Wolves
    Barnsley

Maybe it's coincidence, but high proportion of those clubs went from being stable to being basket cases in a pretty short period of time.

Maybe I've been wearing my tin foil hat too long but something smells a little fishy...
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931
    proggy said:
    Nitefly said:
    Yes, yes, but...

ACCRINGTON STANLEY!!!

Promoted to League One for he first time ever! =)

Who are they?
    LOL I wondered who would be first!

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9887
    Sesh said:

West Brom got "Pardewed" ...I can't see him getting another job now. There must be a limit to failure!
    We've had a very Pardewous season yes but the rot set in last February while we were still being Pulised.

Wooooooop woooooop that's the sound of the Pulis
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22252
    jellyroll said:
    Hughton, Wagner & Benitez have all done great jobs.

Especially Benitez. I think he is fantastic as a man and a coach. Arsenal should be hammering his door down.
    Thomas Tuchel must surely replace Wenger now that he's turned down the Bayern Munich gig. You don't say no to things like that unless there's something big waiting in the wings. 

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    joeyowen said:
    Being Welsh, we are very close to having Cardiff and Swansea in the PL again which would be amazing

But at the same time, it is very plausible that neither will be.

Panic stations
    Being both Welsh and a Cardiff fan, my only hope for Swansea is that they go bust :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    jellyroll said:
    Hughton, Wagner & Benitez have all done great jobs.

Especially Benitez. I think he is fantastic as a man and a coach. Arsenal should be hammering his door down.
    Thomas Tuchel must surely replace Wenger now that he's turned down the Bayern Munich gig. You don't say no to things like that unless there's something big waiting in the wings. 
    As a die-hard Arsenal supporter, I wouldn't say no to Tuchel, although wouldn't pass up Allegri either.

As for Benitez? You having a laugh? He has had his day, and Newcastle is the level he's now at. He won't be managing the top 6/7 again.

If the Arsenal board miss Tuchel or Allegri this summer (2018), we're in for yet more ennui next season with Wenger. Then next summer (2019) when Wenger's contract expires, it'll be a whole different raft of names, and they won't be of the quality of Tuchel or Allegri - one will have been snapped up by Chelski when they cast Conti adrift. And the other will easily find a Champions League club.

It's not pretty being an Arsenal fan, but I do take comfort from the fact the mighty Spuds haven't won the league for 57 years. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandango said:
    As for Benitez? You having a laugh? He has had his day, and Newcastle is the level he's now at. He won't be managing the top 6/7 again.
    Why is it that supporters of "Big" clubs seem to think that football outside the top six is somehow "less"? 

I just don't get it. 

Although I suppose as an arsenal fan you're about to learn about life outside the top six ;)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Rafa is an excellent manager, gives his all to the club he is in charge of, and gets fantastic results with average players. An arsenal fan turning their nose up at him is quite unbelievable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    fandango said:

It's not pretty being an Arsenal fan, but I do take comfort from the fact the mighty Spuds haven't won the league for 57 years. ;)
    That's odd.

In a parallel universe, where I'm an Arsenal fan, I hope I'd be celebrating what "my" team had achieved, rather than celebrating what some other team had not achieved.

?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    fandango said:
    Why is it that supporters of "Big" clubs seem to think that football outside the top six is somehow "less"? 

I just don't get it. 

Although I suppose as an arsenal fan you're about to learn about life outside the top six ;)
    Yes. And you know what, I've so lowered my expectations, that finishing 6th/7th isn't the disappointment it might seem.

Just bored with the football Wenger dishes out. Even the home wins against Milan and CSKA were just a bit ... yawn.

I'd love to see Dyche and Howe shake out the perennial failures (such as Pardew, Moyes, Allardyce).
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9615
    As a QPR fan, the amount of bile I reserve for Mark Hughes and the way he took advantage of my club and the well-meaning but naive owners cannot be overestimated. 
    Im a Q.P.R. fan too mate, and agree 100%... Hughes arrogance is amazing
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Allardyce a failure? Come on! He is the only England manager with a 100% record. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23128
    edited April 2018
    Could be?....although my favourite potential stat for this year is that it looks like Mark Hughes is going to take two teams down...Stoke and Southampton.  Has that happened before?
    I think it's fair enough to blame Hughes for Stoke, but on the same basis surely Pellegrino has to take the blame for Southampton?  Although Hughes isn't helping....

I hope they both go down....

joeyowen said:
    Being Welsh, we are very close to having Cardiff and Swansea in the PL again which would be amazing

But at the same time, it is very plausible that neither will be.

Panic stations
    Being both Welsh and a Cardiff fan, my only hope for Swansea is that they go bust lol 
    As a Swansea fan I've never really got the Swansea/Cardiff hatred, but I have now lived in London for 35 years so maybe perspectives change - personally I'd be glad to see two Welsh clubs in the Premier League (again).

You may get your wish next year.  If we do manage to stay up I'm sure someone (probably fucking Everton) will poach Carvalhal, we'll get another twat like Brad Bobley or Paul Clement and next season, in Sunderland style, we'll finally lose the relegation battle.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    Sesh said:

To sack a manager who got Saints punching above their weight, finishing eighth in the Premiership, and reaching a cup final was 'dire'.  
    Looking forward to Brentford continuing their unbeaten run at St Mary's next season.....assuming we don't leapfrog you, that is.   ;)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3641
    As a West Ham fan I am still sweating although Andy Carroll popped in on Monday on one of his rare appearances and scored - yay!

I think we'll be OK. 
  • RobDavies said:
    Sesh said:

To sack a manager who got Saints punching above their weight, finishing eighth in the Premiership, and reaching a cup final was 'dire'.  
    Looking forward to Brentford continuing their unbeaten run at St Mary's next season.....assuming we don't leapfrog you, that is.   ;)
    It did seem odd to sack someone who got to a cup final and got to 8th I the league but it was clear that the rot had set in a long time before Puel got the boot.

The football in the last few months post league cup final was terrible. The pathetic exit from a super easy group stage of the Europa league also looked really bad.

In hindsight it seems the problems at the club ran a lot deeper than just the ability of the first team manager. Puel is clearly a competent manager and  I bet he's delighted to be away from the mess at saints.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Sesh said:

He has had some good runs in the past with unfancied Prem teams. To be honest, if you start with a can of worms it's hard to make a gourmet meal.