Premier League and Relegation

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28345
    TTony said:
    fandango said:

It's not pretty being an Arsenal fan, but I do take comfort from the fact the mighty Spuds haven't won the league for 57 years. ;)
    That's odd.

In a parallel universe, where I'm an Arsenal fan, I hope I'd be celebrating what "my" team had achieved, rather than celebrating what some other team had not achieved.

?
    Your ruse has been exposed. You are not a true Arsenal fan and I claim my £5
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8193
    Is it too late to dream that Southampton will sack Hughes and West Brom will come in for him? If ever a man should have the accolade of taking three clubs down, it's him.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Neil said:
    As a West Ham fan I am still sweating although Andy Carroll popped in on Monday on one of his rare appearances and scored - yay!

I think we'll be OK. 
    I think if you watch the replay you will see the ball actually hit Harry Kane on the arse before it crossed the line!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Sesh said:
    As a Southampton can I prefer to call it qualifying for the championship, not relegation.

It astounds me we are in this position. Money isn't a problem, our academy and scouting seem to work well. We have good players. But successive management choices have been dire. The board have sleep walked the club to nowhere. 
    Could substitute West Brom in that post too, except for the "good scouting" bit...
    West Brom got "Pardewed" ...I can't see him getting another job now. There must be a limit to failure!
    He has had some good runs in the past with unfancied Prem teams. To be honest, if you start with a can of worms it's hard to make a gourmet meal. 
    He managed to display all his incompetence with a palace team that was on paper mid table at least. That wasn't a can of worms, it was our most expensive team ever and he made them look shite by having one idea and not knowing what to do when it didn't work. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1853
    RobDavies said:
    Sesh said:
    As a Southampton can I prefer to call it qualifying for the championship, not relegation.

It astounds me we are in this position. Money isn't a problem, our academy and scouting seem to work well. We have good players. But successive management choices have been dire. The board have sleep walked the club to nowhere. 
    To sack a manager who got Saints punching above their weight, finishing eighth in the Premiership, and reaching a cup final was 'dire'.  
    Looking forward to Brentford continuing their unbeaten run at St Mary's next season.....assuming we don't leapfrog you, that is.   ;)
    It did seem odd to sack someone who got to a cup final and got to 8th I the league but it was clear that the rot had set in a long time before Puel got the boot.

The football in the last few months post league cup final was terrible. The pathetic exit from a super easy group stage of the Europa league also looked really bad.

In hindsight it seems the problems at the club ran a lot deeper than just the ability of the first team manager. Puel is clearly a competent manager and  I bet he's delighted to be away from the mess at saints.
    Agreed. Whatever is wrong at the club is in the boardroom. No idea who though. I'd hoped the new ownership would have been positive, but nothing has happened. Oh for Cortese to come back...
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12422
    Sesh said:
    RobDavies said:
    Sesh said:

To sack a manager who got Saints punching above their weight, finishing eighth in the Premiership, and reaching a cup final was 'dire'.  
    Looking forward to Brentford continuing their unbeaten run at St Mary's next season.....assuming we don't leapfrog you, that is.   ;)
    It did seem odd to sack someone who got to a cup final and got to 8th I the league but it was clear that the rot had set in a long time before Puel got the boot.

The football in the last few months post league cup final was terrible. The pathetic exit from a super easy group stage of the Europa league also looked really bad.

In hindsight it seems the problems at the club ran a lot deeper than just the ability of the first team manager. Puel is clearly a competent manager and  I bet he's delighted to be away from the mess at saints.
    Agreed. Whatever is wrong at the club is in the boardroom. No idea who though. I'd hoped the new ownership would have been positive, but nothing has happened. Oh for Cortese to come back...
    Problem for the scummers, I mean Southampton : ) is that you got away with selling the top talent for a few years and still had strong league positions by getting a run of good managers who you either couldn't keep or decided you could do better than.  Even if you go down you are in a pretty decent financial position and think you could bounce back within a season.  not sure if Hughes is the man for job though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckee said:
    Sesh said:
    RobDavies said:
    Sesh said:

Looking forward to Brentford continuing their unbeaten run at St Mary's next season.....assuming we don't leapfrog you, that is.  

Problem for the scummers, I mean Southampton : ) is that you got away with selling the top talent for a few years and still had strong league positions by getting a run of good managers who you either couldn't keep or decided you could do better than.  Even if you go down you are in a pretty decent financial position and think you could bounce back within a season.  not sure if Hughes is the man for job though.
    Yes, Saints have sold a LOT of players for top dollar but I think this is a red herring as to the rapid downfall.  I really think the problem is the transfer of ownership into Chinese hands. 

I personally don't think the Chinese ''investors' give two shits about about the clubs they are buying into. Encouraged and facilitated by the Chinese government it's a pretty efficient way of moving money out of China and taking control of cultural assets all over Europe. Actual stewardship and management of what they are investing in doesn't seem to be high on the agenda.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14407
    tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^ - Jus seen the Chinese owner of Wolves is hinting a top world wide brand within a few years - Congrats to Wolves getting promoted and by a distance the best team in the Championship - I'm sure they could get a good run in the top 10 of the Premiership with a good team/management but I don't see the 'top team in the world' tag - Let alone the top team in Europe or the UK - Leicester wanted/hinted at a Europe hear we come campaign every year - not a one of event

PSG and Man City would love to be in the top  10, or even the top 5 in Europe, regarding  European trophies won,  but barely of the mark yet  and some distance to go - So in comparison then a none starter IMO regarding Wolves

Wolves are about to be questioned, if not investigated, by both the Premiership and Championship with regards to the part ownership of an agent/agency who has major influence on the world stage - Not sure anything will happen

The fair play league did nothing about QPR 3/4 years ago and about Leicester in the promotion year from the Championship - If you are not going to do anything then why bother with the rules - equally if the Premiership rewards are so big and so much wealth behind the scenes then a fine is not worth bothering with - Give them 10 point deduction - Hurt them on the pitch and not at the bank
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1853
    munckee said:
    Sesh said:
    RobDavies said:
    Sesh said:

I don't think we've had much choice when it comes to player sales. Bigger clubs wave money around, agents get in player's heads. We either sell or get Van Dijk situations. I'd say we survived the sales not got away with. Malaysia thought with Puel that he was a manager that could have helped us win something, but would be useless in a relegation dogfight or getting promotion. Pelligrino was pointless. Hughes was too little, too late and will get us relegated without a whimper and leave. I wonder in Nigel Adkins would come back?
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9887
    ^^^^^^^ - Jus seen the Chinese owner of Wolves is hinting a top world wide brand within a few years - Congrats to Wolves getting promoted and by a distance the best team in the Championship - I'm sure they could get a good run in the top 10 of the Premiership with a good team/management but I don't see the 'top team in the world' tag - Let alone the top team in Europe or the UK - Leicester wanted/hinted at a Europe hear we come campaign every year - not a one of event

PSG and Man City would love to be in the top  10, or even the top 5 in Europe, regarding  European trophies won,  but barely of the mark yet  and some distance to go - So in comparison then a none starter IMO regarding Wolves

Wolves are about to be questioned, if not investigated, by both the Premiership and Championship with regards to the part ownership of an agent/agency who has major influence on the world stage - Not sure anything will happen

The fair play league did nothing about QPR 3/4 years ago and about Leicester in the promotion year from the Championship - If you are not going to do anything then why bother with the rules - equally if the Premiership rewards are so big and so much wealth behind the scenes then a fine is not worth bothering with - Give them 10 point deduction - Hurt them on the pitch and not at the bank
    Interesting stat about the Shit... Sorry the Wolves... They are the only team to have won every honour in English league football. All four leagues, FA Cup, League Cup, EFL cup as it's called now (think it was Johnston's Paint at the time), and Community/Charity Shield.

Still they never beat us :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic