Best Rhythm Guitarists

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12856
    I thought we had cleared this up with Frank Black - why hasn't this thread been closed?

Okay Nile Rogers is okay too if you like rubbish music, there I've said it : )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3646
    Gordon Giltrap?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    Rocker said:
    By trying to name the best rhythm guitarist, the OP is missing the point of the songs.  The phrase rhythm guitarist infers a band.  The sound you hear is that of the entire band.  Isolating any member of that band for praise is ignoring the combined efforts of all the band members.  As everyone who has played/is playing in a band knows, the drummer determines the rhythm, the bass and/or rhythm guitarist locks in to the drummer.  This is to provide the backing for the vocalist [who actually is the most important member of the band].

So the question posed by the OP has no actual answer.  
    If you’ve ever heard Nile Rodgers mixed ‘wrong’ so his guitar is higher than it should normally be in the mix, you might be in for a surprise...

Pete Townshend is similar - the drums and bass are counterpoints to his guitar driving the music, not the rhythmic foundation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 667
    Jimi Hendrix
    Robben Ford
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 625
    Rocker said:
    By trying to name the best rhythm guitarist, the OP is missing the point of the songs.  The phrase rhythm guitarist infers a band.  The sound you hear is that of the entire band.  Isolating any member of that band for praise is ignoring the combined efforts of all the band members.  As everyone who has played/is playing in a band knows, the drummer determines the rhythm, the bass and/or rhythm guitarist locks in to the drummer.  This is to provide the backing for the vocalist [who actually is the most important member of the band].

Not sure if you're taking the **** or not ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15214
    Good rhythm guitarists should be kinda like good Football referees - invisible. 

Right this minute, the most "invisible" rhythm guitarist I can think of is Simon Nicol. I struggle to think of anything he has ever performed on record that gets in the way of the song.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5727
    Hetfield for me. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    https://i.imgur.com/mzrEzVD.jpg

I dont know if Lady Bo was the best rythmn guitarist but she was always the coolest. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31576
    Can’t believe no mention of David Williams- just a genius

also Carlos Alomar 

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• exocetexocet Frets: 2064
    Al McKay (EW&F)
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Rocker said:

Funnily enough, I came back on this thread to name Bob Dylan - who often plays without a band. As do many singer/songwriters who utilise the guitar as a melodic and rhythmic backing to their vocals. So the ‘rhythm’ guitar IS the music. 
    You're ignoring a whole approach to music and presenting songs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7054
    AlexC said:
    Rocker said:

Funnily enough, I came back on this thread to name Bob Dylan - who often plays without a band. As do many singer/songwriters who utilise the guitar as a melodic and rhythmic backing to their vocals. So the ‘rhythm’ guitar IS the music. 
    You're ignoring a whole approach to music and presenting songs.
    If you’ve ever seen Thom Yorke playing Paranoid Android solo on acoustic it confirms what you are explaining.

There’s loads of great rhythm players out there. It depends how you define best I think we are all really just putting forward our favourites.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2118
    Steve Jones
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    Elvis was good.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5902
    I'll have to give Paul Jackson Jr. a mention.

Paul Jackson Jr.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4243
    My top rhythm guitarists 
    Elvis Presley, try playing Mystery Train! 
    John Wilkinson Elvis guitarist in 70's had to play everything thrown at him. 
    Pete Townsend, crap lead player, but that was done by Entwhistle anyway. 
    Has to be Rick Parfitt for sheer power and rock solid timing. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16604
    Chet Atkins
    .......because he could play Rhythm AND lead at the same time
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2150
    tFB Trader

Has to be Rick Parfitt for sheer power and rock solid timing. 
    This, or Malcolm for me.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1809
    Unpopular, I know - but James Hatfield should be high upon that list.

Honourable mentions:
    Bettencourt
    Mustaine
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    munckee said:
    Frank Black.  Discussion finished.
    Who the fuck is Frank Black?
    Discussion reopened. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom