Best Rhythm Guitarists

What's Hot

Comments

• FledermausFledermaus Frets: 180
    As JerkMoans said.... where does rhythm end and lead begin...
    Andy Summers got a mention somewhere....mmmmm goooood stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Bezzer said:
    Not "Rhythm only" by any means but Eddie Van Halen has to be high on the list, surely!
    couldn't agree more
    personally I find his rhythm playing every bit as exciting and interesting as his lead playing
    play every note as if it were your first
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Steve Hackett
    Steve Howe
    and SRV
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4897
    Keef not a rythmn guitarist?  I would have put him at the top of the list with Steve Cropper.

and that geezer from The Who is quite good too.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    exocet said:
    Mark Lettieri.  Check this out if you haven already seen it (playing starts around 2.15)

Takes someone special to sit in a funk jam with Tim Pierce and Pete Thorn and sound like he's operating on a higher plane, but Mark pulls that off.

Sorry obv don't know how to link video.

Mark Lettieri is "top drawer". 
    I thought that was Steven Spielberg in the middle!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    Rocker said:

Players like The Who guitarist are lead players who play chords rather than single notes. 
    No, Townshend is definitely a rhythm player - he actually thought of himself as the 'drummer' in the band.

While we're at it - Paul Weller is an excellent rhythm guitarist. In The Jam, the 'lead' instrument part was usually Bruce Foxton's bass, and Weller mostly played chords and fills.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    There was a jazz pianist called Ahmad Jamal, who had a trio in the 1950's consisting of double bass (Israel Crosby) and guitar (Ray Crawford) - oddly no drums.

Crawford used to play a very rhythmic style by palm-muting the notes and picking notes staccato, so it sounded like he was playing bongos - rhythm guitar, and no drummer needed!

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4243
    Sacha Distell was pretty good rhythm player. 
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 9105
    Listening to some old records ce soir, that Django Reinhardt one was no slouch.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    https://i.imgur.com/mzrEzVD.jpg

I dont know if Lady Bo was the best rythmn guitarist but she was always the coolest. 
    Actually... it's Bo Diddley.

Unless you can think of another rhythm guitarist who actually has a rhythm named after him.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    ICBM said:

I dont know if Lady Bo was the best rythmn guitarist but she was always the coolest. 

Unless you can think of another rhythm guitarist who actually has a rhythm named after him.

Well, Hendrix had a chord and there’s the Jimmy Reed shuffle (although actually usually played by Eddie Taylor ). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10067
    ICBM said:

Joe Strummer?

(gets coat)
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24993
    I just read a feature in this month's Guitar Player by Jim Campilongo, raving about Rick Derringer's rhythm playing on "Johnny Winter And... Live".

I must admit I'm not clever enough, guitar-wise, to appreciate what Rick's doing on that album, although he's been one of my favourite - lead - guitarists for the best part of 40 years.  I feel like I should listen again...
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8652
    St Hubbins is underrated.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Someone that no-one has said thus far - hear me out - Steve Vai:

If EVH and Nuno deserve a mention, so does he.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Also, Wes Borland.

He's a great heavy rock rhythm player, but listen to the weird synth-like guitar parts in the verses too - like at 0:45.

LB's bass player is fantastic too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099
    Fretwired said:
    Catfish Collins .. Nile Rogers says he was the best .. end of thread ..

Gawd, that's a whole different level of tight playing. 
    Grunfeld said:

Gawd, that's a whole different level of tight playing.  
    You'd be tight too, if you were docked a chunk of your - not generous in the first place - pay every time you made a mistake.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884
    edited May 2018

Daron Malakian from System of a Down.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1809
    edited May 2018

Daron Malakian from System of a Down.

Good call. Also - Scars on Broadway (which are finally realising 2nd album in couple months).