Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Axe_FX II Rigs, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Digital Modelling.

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    You have to remember though that the D-Moll is not a Herbert or VH4.. and they each have a voice of their own..
    I've only ever played through a real Herbert, VH4 and Einstein.. I've not tried the others..
    Interestingly, the Das Metall is Cliff's idealised guess at a VH4 that he created before he had the real thing..
    and I keep going back to it thinking that maybe it's actually the nicest of all the Diezel models.. lol..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    Drew_fx;298172" said:
    A dead give away as to how hard it is to pick... I keep tweaking the model thinking that I'm hearing changes, only to realise that I'm on the 'real Diezel scene' and actually none of my changes are being heard.
    Would you like to buy a Russ Andrew cable for it?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx;298172" said:
    A dead give away as to how hard it is to pick... I keep tweaking the model thinking that I'm hearing changes, only to realise that I'm on the 'real Diezel scene' and actually none of my changes are being heard.
    Would you like to buy a Russ Andrew cable for it?
    Nein.
    @Drew_fx did you come to a decision yet regarding the Axe->8008->cab combination for live??
    Not yet dude. I'm going to take it into the next practice, which is Thursday. I didn't manage to take it to the last one.
    ah ok... I'll be interested to hear about your experiences with the Axe->8008 combination in a band setting..
    Tomorrow night. Gonna give it a bash!
    so.... how'd it go????
    Tonight boss, tonight :D

7pm till 11pm. I'm taking all my gear, bass as well, since our bassist cannot make it tonight.
    ahhh.... I thought it was last night.... duhh ! !
    hehehehe. I'm gonna take my FCB with me as well, so I can play through a few songs in real time and see how it feels.
    one stomp and everything changes… you know it makes sense… lol..
    Well...

... I was pretty disappointed. All three of us were actually - drummer and other guitarist. The real Diezel in a band situation just quite clearly blew the Axe FX out of the park. So much more thump, depth, pleasing sizzle, and CUUTTTTT.

Our drummer said the Axe didn't sound real. He said it sounded like "a recording" rather than a fire breathing amp. I totally agreed with him.

Don't know what to think now. I was using those presets we made, and a few others that were based on them.

As I said... disappointed. Really wanted it to just blow my rig away. It didn't.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Shame that dude. You'll have to sell it for pennies to me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    Si_ said:
    Play them both live.. I bet to pick the D-Moll then...
    Hate to say I told you so.. but.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This isn't the first time I've tried it in that situation. The first time I did I had it going through the power section of my D-Moll. So... I don't think a tube poweramp is going to solve this for me, before anyone suggests that ;)

Hmmm... need to do some thinking.
    My problem was always when playing with a band.. on it's own it sounded great, but when I got together with the band it was always lacking. the first time I did  rehearsal with my Pink Taco I decided within 30 mins of the rehearsal that the AxeFX was going and sold it next morning.

When a drummer is telling you things about your tone then you know there is a problem..

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Didn't know when to LOL or Wisdom... so ...

I don't want to make any rash decisions... but the thought of selling it did occur to me. Okay, here is the story... I ditched my two Boss delays for a Flashback X4 this week. Within 20 minutes of using it, I had more pleasing delay tones than I've had from the Axe for a good chunk of time. It's definitely not that they're bad, they're really not. But they're quite hi-fi and pristine... lacking in character. Even the Boss pedals have a bit more character going for them, I guess weirdly its the lower cost and lower quality components doing that.

So that made me think "maaan.... well fuck it.... I'll just use it for amps.... like a souped up JMP-1" except after tonight, even that idea is out of the window. Now I'm thinking, do I want all that money tied up in a bit of gear that I can't use for it's original purpose (live use) and that I'd only be using for recording. Do I really want to do that? I just don't know.

Again - it doesn't sound bad. But in a live situation, my real amp beats it. For recording demos... the tones can literally be as shitty as you like, an Orange Micro Amp or something.... and for serious recording projects, I'd use my amp anyway.... so... why do I have this thing again?

Maybe I just need to sleep on it. But at this moment in time, this is how I feel.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Have a wisdom..
    Drew_fx said:
    Well...

... I was pretty disappointed. All three of us were actually - drummer and other guitarist. The real Diezel in a band situation just quite clearly blew the Axe FX out of the park. So much more thump, depth, pleasing sizzle, and CUUTTTTT.

Our drummer said the Axe didn't sound real. He said it sounded like "a recording" rather than a fire breathing amp. I totally agreed with him.

Don't know what to think now. I was using those presets we made, and a few others that were based on them.

As I said... disappointed. Really wanted it to just blow my rig away. It didn't.
    wow… interesting and a little unexpected…
    you do have to remember though that the presets we dialled in were through my cabs..
    and they lack nothing at all to my ears.. the depth and cut is all there
    I recall you telling me my tones were too bright - I think there were a little - especially the cleans at the time..
    I'm sure you goofed with the Axe tones to try to get them in with the band..
    I'm guessing that you need to get the presence up so the extreme highs get really chewed up by the preamp..
    and if that ends up too bright, pull them back a touch with the GEQ

delay wise, I always 'lo-fi' mine..
    the delay has an EQ, I push the low and high bands closer to the mids and in the tone page I add a little distortion [between 0.6 and 1.0 usually].. I like my delays to sound crap..

well.. you've heard my tones and they're not dialled in quite to sweetly as yours..
    maybe that's why they work.. cos they're a bit rough and ready..