I played some guitar at a gig, video inside

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7752
edited March 2014 in Music
This is from Saturday night - my dad's cover band, the Breaks (I suppose it's only right that I should plug them - they are great though), were playing in Chiswick, at the Duchess of Cambridge pub (you can imagine all the jokes that were made about being inside the Duchess with about 70 other people etc etc). Usually at these gigs I get up to play a couple of numbers - one of which is Superstition, near the end of the second set. It seemed to get a good reaction... here's the video my dad took.

I do have something planned out for the other song I usually play (Hard to Handle) but I improvise this one. I tend to just play some flashy fast bollocks, sticking loosely to the minor pentatonic. I am fully aware it's rather inappropriate in the context of the song but people seem to like it :D I normally only do one solo but this time I was given a second one. I wasn't expecting it and so I didn't want to start until I was absolutely sure... you can see me looking a tad confused and perhaps hear my dad shouting "SOLO!" at me... anyway, it was well-received.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28008
    Nice work, mate :)

Don't worry about the fact that it's flashy bollocks and totally inappropriate - in that context, it's generally exactly what people want (as long as you don't do it all the way through the set). I did exactly the same thing back when I used to gig with my dad as a teenager - when you get handed the solo in Johnny B Goode and Back to the Future happens to be one of your favourite films, it's pretty much impossible to avoid doing a Marty McFly all over it...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 11023
    It is correct to do flashy metal solos in blues rock pub sets.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    You continue to disgust me :(

Much jel!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28672
    Well that deserves a Wow... You make me feel old and slow!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Well that deserves a Wow... You make me feel old and slow!
    Thanks... I think? :D

Cheers for the Wows and nice comments folks, appreciate it :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    edited March 2014
    Nice one Connor and exciting playing - it worked! Nice one too to your dad and his band for giving you a chance to play live and being so encouraging (for the record, Bucket Snr is a great guitar player too)!

More please and I don't know if I missed a post, but did I hear right that you've got onto the degree course?
    Bravo!
    Thanks, yes I have! :)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Flashy git ;-)

(Seriously great job mate)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Nice one Connor.

Excellent playing. And didn't sound wrong at all.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Excellent, glad we got to join you inside the Duchess, thanks for sharing that bit of the gig   :D

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5902
    Nicely done, Connor. If the crowd love it, then rip it up.

;)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3129
    Top stuff matey. Some of those punters won't have seen playing at that level before so you were educational as well as entertaining :) . If you can play like that you shouldn't hide your light under a (Gary) bushel.

We sometimes do a couple of tunes with our other guitarist's kid on drums (grade 6 at 11 no less) and it gets a similar reaction.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Great stuff and well played.

Nothing wrong with some well juxtaposed shredding it is only when tasteless is it wrong, yours certainly was tasteful though.
    Thanks everyone!
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1046
    great playing, that kicked arse :) Tone sounded really good as well, good recording !
    great playing, that kicked arse :) Tone sounded really good as well, good recording !
    Thanks!

All of it is my dad's gear - his 1x15 Peavey Delta Blues, Line 6 POD Live floorboard and Sterling by Music Man JP100 (which used to be mine but is now one of his main gigging guitars). The solo patch was particularly loud that night for some reason.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8622
    Very tasty!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    Really impressed. You clearly have tons more technique than I'll ever have, but also great feel. Loved the rhythm work too. When I was 17 a much older local player endorsed my playing by telling me I was 'special' (he meant 'able beyond my years' - he wasn't Jimmy Savile!) You are clearly you are gifted beyond your years. Fabulous stuff....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Awesome, loved hearing the crowd react! Awesome playing and yeah that delta blues sounds ace.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    nice stuff   :) - ditto to feeling old and slow