R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4292
    edited September 2018
    I was wondering beforehand just how much better a custom shop guitar would be compared to my Standard production line models 

Well my Joe Perry sig standard still rocks but my 2016 standard now feels and sounds cheap compared to the R8 quality and I don’t say that lightly.  Everything about it feels cheap now 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    I was wondering beforehand just how much better a custom shop guitar would be compared to my Standard production line models 

Well my Joe Perry sig standard still rocks but my 2016 standard now feels and sounds cheap compared to the R8 quality and I don’t say that likely. Everything about it feels cheap now 
     My experience has been the same. The difference between Gibson USA and custom shop ranges seems to be far greater than I've found with fender instruments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lp59boylp59boy Frets: 73
    edited September 2018
    Just got my washed cherry R8 from GG yesterday, since I got home has now developed major fret buzz so I’ll be doing a setup from scratch tomorrow and putting on 11’s

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lp59boylp59boy Frets: 73
    edited September 2018

• 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    SteveF said:8
    RMJ said:
    I'm just wondering......

Who the best is.....
    It’s ok, I got the reference ;)

The plaque for the alternates is in the ladies room
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    So, Gibson  quality control - where are we now....?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hattigol said:
    So, Gibson  quality control - where are we now....?
    Wrong thread.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 540
    Its terrible.  The finish was all grubby on mine and someone had let the hardware go all rusty and tarnished. ;) 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274

Well my Joe Perry sig standard still rocks but my 2016 standard now feels and sounds cheap compared to the R8 quality and I don’t say that lightly.  Everything about it feels cheap now 

That's interesting as I had the opposite revelation. Comparing my R8 to my Traditional I was surprised how well the traditional held up. It was the aggregation of small things that ultimately mkes the R8 a better guitar, but I didn't feel the Traditional was cheap in any way.

Is there anything specific you noticed?
  • RMJ said:
    SteveF said:8
    RMJ said:
    I'm just wondering......

Who the best is.....
    It’s ok, I got the reference ;)

The plaque for the alternates is in the ladies room
    I'm loving these! 

Now where are my aviators?

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    terada said:
    RMJ said:
    I'm just wondering......

Who the best is.....

If I had to pick a best, it would be @Whitecat ;; Love those mineral streaks

Whitecat said:

yes - has the look of a Standard Faded to me, I think they're lush.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Snags said:
    pmbomb said:
    so is the great R8 Rush of ole '18 definitely over?

@snags and I get to bank a bit of smugness on having manfully resisted? (and start the daily pore over the classifieds).

Trouble is my argument of "I don't have 2.5k to spend on a guitar" has somehow morphed into "BecauseI didn't get an R8, I've got 2.5k to drop on guitar stuff now". I keep telling myself it's not how it works, but I think I might have caught some residual fallout or something ...
    £4300 surely?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    RMJ said:

That's interesting as I had the opposite revelation. Comparing my R8 to my Traditional I was surprised how well the traditional held up. It was the aggregation of small things that ultimately mkes the R8 a better guitar, but I didn't feel the Traditional was cheap in any way.

Same, after a few days away I've come back and played mine back to back with my '16 Traditional and the Traditional does come close IMO. The wood is obviously a nicer on the CS but I marginally prefer the modern appointments on the Traditional. In two minds about selling the Traditional now
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11517
    RMJ said:

You can find really good Traditionals, but you probably have to play a lot of them.

I sold my first Custom Shop Les Paul, because I tried out a pedal in a shop on holiday in the US, and the Traditional I tried it with was better.  When I got back to the UK I was intending to buy a Traditional, and when to Guitar Village when they had a blowout on Traditionals at really low prices.  Played 5 or 6 Traditionals and a second hand R8.  The R8 was different quality, so I came home with that.  If I'd been able to get 15 Tradtionals in the room, then I would probably been able to find one that was close to the R8.

I ended up selling that R8 because the neck was too big.  It was very comfortable but I was struggling to play things on it.  I recorded something with another guitar (in one take), and then decided to see how the Les Paul would sound on it.  It took me about ten takes to play it cleanly on that R8.  I do have very short fingers and the big neck was too much - even though it was incredibly comfortable.

I'm loving the R9 I bought last week.  It's not quite as beefy sounding as the R8 was, but it's very articulate.  It's also got a much better neck angle.  The R8 was a 2010.  I know they removed the sheath around the truss rod from 2013 onwards, so I don't know if that is the reason why it sounds more articulate, or whether it's the wood, or a bit of both.  I think the new ones have different pickups as well.  It's probably a combination of things.

• Ossyrocks said:
    I’m really enjoying seeing everyone putting pics up of these now. There are some lovely guitars in this thread.

Regarding mine, I am really enjoying them both, and I don’t have a favourite, they are both quite different. 

I had a thought today, wouldn’t it be great to get them all in one room? Probably would never happen, but that would be a Les Paul fest of epic proportions!
    I’m pretty sure they actually were all in one room at some point... at Peach Guitars!

Some beautiful guitars here but nothing that’s killing my 2005 LP Standard Faded or Slash GAS... if anyone is shifting one to pay for their R8 after the fact then let me know! 

Ok I’m lying, I’d kill for one of these R8s but I couldnt justify it.

Interesting about Traditionals... the one I played recently wasn’t very good but I wonder if it’s worth trying a few out?

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    roberty said:
    RMJ said:

Same, after a few days away I've come back and played mine back to back with my '16 Traditional and the Traditional does come close IMO. The wood is obviously a nicer on the CS but I marginally prefer the modern appointments on the Traditional. In two minds about selling the Traditional now
    Same here. I bought a Traditional from @Adamski and it’s a great one. Same weight as my new r8, nice top, very well finished & setup overall, one minor cosmetic flaw aside. Genuinely not much in it at all from my experience and the Traditionals can be really great guitars. Clearly the custom shop is better spec and I like the vos rather than gloss finish but the actual differences are very subjective and certain nothing any non-corksniffer would have the slightest inkling about.
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1116
    Well I've arrived back and my Iced Tea was waiting for me, Jolly chuffed, and a superb setup job by Tom at Peach.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I think you can find great examples of all guitars, and also some not so good.  I've found that the chances of finding a good one are higher in the CS range, but some of them are nothing special and I wouldn't pay the asking price.

If you find a good guitar keep hold of it.  The grass isn't always greener on the other side just because the internet says it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom