R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2968
    Hattigol said:
    So, Gibson  quality control - where are we now....?
    Hopefully they're all in a room, along with the returns from Peach, getting an education in how to do their jobs well enough, so that a dealer doesn't have to return 9 out of 50 custom shop guitars...!

[apologies if I got the numbers wrong, this thread is too long to plough through it looking for the post]
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwood said:
    Well I've arrived back and my Iced Tea was waiting for me, Jolly chuffed, and a superb setup job by Tom at Peach.

Looks really nice. Love the look of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    This thread is really doing my head in.. I DON'T LIKE LES PAULS. I don't like them so much that i'm almost tempted to get an old Epiphone Studio that's in the back on a cupboard somewhere out and see if i really really don't like Les Pauls... It's got this lovely translucent black finish where you can see the grain when the light is shining just right and NO NO NOOO. 

Ring Ring.. Hello Peach?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    LuttiS said:
    This thread is really doing my head in.. I DON'T LIKE LES PAULS. I don't like them so much that i'm almost tempted to get an old Epiphone Studio that's in the back on a cupboard somewhere out and see if i really really don't like Les Pauls... It's got this lovely translucent black finish where you can see the grain when the light is shining just right and NO NO NOOO. 

Ring Ring.. Hello Peach?
    Les Pauls are just cool ***. They just bloody are, it's part of my (our) nature to like them I think, somewhere primeval they just hit a spot.

Logically, rationally, there are much better guitars. But it's deeper than that. Why deny it?

*** Some Teles are cool too. I really like @Alnico's blue one, and the Springsteen hybrid on the cover of Live 75-85 defines cool too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    I echo the 2016 LP Traditional comments. There really isn't a lot in them. Having said that I haven't had the chance to really give the custombuckers a good run vs the 57 classics in the 2016 Traditional (which I really like)

Speaking of pickups.. the pickups on my new R8 seem really countersunk into the plastic - I haven't seen that on any LP I've ever owned (and I've had a few). is this normal ? are the plastic covers much higher on the historic-spec reissues ?
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Yep, tall plastics on these and other CS LPs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Some beautiful guitars here but nothing that’s killing my 2005 LP Standard Faded or Slash GAS... if anyone is shifting one to pay for their R8 after the fact then let me know! 

Chris I have that Standard Faded GAS too. Can't shake it off.
  • Twinfan said:
    I think you can find great examples of all guitars, and also some not so good.  I've found that the chances of finding a good one are higher in the CS range, but some of them are nothing special and I wouldn't pay the asking price.

If you find a good guitar keep hold of it.  The grass isn't always greener on the other side just because the internet says it is.
    This is true. I've had the 'grass isn't always greener' in my mind this past two weeks. I know it's just a lower budget version, but my Tribute Les Paul 2017 is an absolutely fantastically well build and great sounding guitar. I was all up for selling it without thinking and getting an R8. But, I missed out on the ones I like and I really don't want a colour i'm not keen on just to get a good deal. 

There are some amazing examples of R8s in this thread! I hope you all enjoy them.  
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    edited September 2018
    Bigsby said:
    Hattigol said:
    So, Gibson  quality control - where are we now....?
    Hopefully they're all in a room, along with the returns from Peach, getting an education in how to do their jobs well enough, so that a dealer doesn't have to return 9 out of 50 custom shop guitars...!

[apologies if I got the numbers wrong, this thread is too long to plough through it looking for the post]
    Somewhere in the region mate

Plus the dented ones from GG

My GG compensation will cover a tiny drop fill four times over, but it's still mad seeing blemishes on what are supposed to be £4.3k guitars

We still want them though, Gibson have us by the proverbials
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    pmbomb said:
    LuttiS said:

Ring Ring.. Hello Peach?
    Les Pauls are just cool ***. They just bloody are, it's part of my (our) nature to like them I think, somewhere primeval they just hit a spot.

Logically, rationally, there are much better guitars. But it's deeper than that. Why deny it?

*** Some Teles are cool too. I really like @Alnico's blue one, and the Springsteen hybrid on the cover of Live 75-85 defines cool too.

Thanks man but it belongs to @Route66 ;not me.

I do like the LP shape but I don't really like the Gibson design and wouldn't own one.
    Not even vaguely tempted by this R8 'Movement' but I'm very glad for those who've got their dream guitars here.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Twinfan said:
    Will USA range pickup rings fit on these? Wavering over fitting a high output bridge pup, may need some clearance to balance with stock neck. Changing them both is a rabbit hole I'd rather avoid
    I would think so - any Gibson spec plastic will work.  SG rings are lower, for example, and should work.  Lots of suppliers have rings in low/medium/high versions.
  • pmbomb said:
    Some beautiful guitars here but nothing that’s killing my 2005 LP Standard Faded or Slash GAS... if anyone is shifting one to pay for their R8 after the fact then let me know! 

Chris I have that Standard Faded GAS too. Can't shake it off.
    I haven’t been able to shake it since I set eyes on one in 2005 and now I can afford one I can’t find one. It has to be the non weight relieved 2005 with the 50s neck in tobacco, so I am quite picky. I suspect I may end up getting a traditional and then as soon as I get one a standard faded will crop up!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    roberty said:
    Twinfan said:
    Will USA range pickup rings fit on these? Wavering over fitting a high output bridge pup, may need some clearance to balance with stock neck. Changing them both is a rabbit hole I'd rather avoid
    Yes but different materials and likely different colour. That may not bother you, but you will be burned in hell for polluting your R8 with modern appointments. You utter bastard.

My pickups also sit below the top of the plastics. 

I love mine more every time I pick it up. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So what was the actual price on these before the discount? 
    £4299 retail I think, but I think they were advertised around £3799?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    So what was the actual price on these before the discount? 
    The R8s were normally advertised at £4299. Believe some shops had them at £3999 for a while though. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought some were £3299? Then £2799 then this drop..?
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5508
    I thought some were £3299? Then £2799 then this drop..?
    Possibly in the most recent days before the clearance, I wasn’t looking that closely. 

Peach were originally offering the overstock models at £2799 but only dropped to £2499 to match Guitarguitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    Twinfan said:
    thanks mate