R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• Shit I’m worried now. Seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Tobacco R0 as well 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Are the nut cuts generally ok on this bunch? Mine seems ok, but im not really an expert on these things.
    Mine's alright for 10s to be honest. I play 11s though. Nearly all tuning issues are caused at the nut

You can test the nut by plucking a string and tuning it up and down. If the change in pitch is smooth you're good to go, if there are sudden jumps in pitch it's catching on the nut. My tech taught me this. They are worth getting to know!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3 said:
    I shouldn’t have to F around with this on a 2.5 le geetar 
    Check the A string isn’t touching the saddle intonation screw. They look like the just sit in a recess and the G on mine was raised slightly. If yours is touching, just slacken the string, pull it to one side and give the saddle a gentle tap so it seats correctly. Not with a hammer!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    My new Les Paul BFG nut height is spot on but a couple of the slots are not quite wide enough.

The R8 is the other way around, perfect width but not quite deep enough.

Neither is an issue really as I can easily fix both with my nut files.

Other than that Les Pauls have to be one of the easiest guitars to setup to your liking, it only takes minutes to adjust neck relief, string height and intonation, all things that don’t require a ‘tech’ surely?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Shit I’m worried now. Seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Tobacco R0 as well 
    You won't find any restraint here  ;)
  • terada said:
    Shit I’m worried now. Seriously considering pulling the trigger on a Tobacco R0 as well 
    You won't find any restraint here  ;)
    Haha I know 

It’s madness and would be nearly 6K on two new guitars in a week

Seen one I really like but GG no longer doing 36 months interest free which is a shame 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11523
    mli3 said:
    I shouldn’t have to F around with this on a 2.5 le geetar 
    Check the A string isn’t touching the saddle intonation screw. They look like the just sit in a recess and the G on mine was raised slightly. If yours is touching, just slacken the string, pull it to one side and give the saddle a gentle tap so it seats correctly. Not with a hammer!
    Definitely worth checking.  I've had that on a Les Paul before.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    terada said:
    Twinfan said:
    Bigsby said:
    Is the case lining really that red? I don't recall ever seeing a Gibson case with red lining.
    They're pink. Some photo tweakery going on in that pic ;)
    What are you saying, this one is all natural

You need to try pretty hard to mess that one up, almost certainly the nicest R8 top I've ever seen.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    terada said:
    Twinfan said:
    Bigsby said:
    Is the case lining really that red? I don't recall ever seeing a Gibson case with red lining.
    They're pink. Some photo tweakery going on in that pic ;)
    What are you saying, this one is all natural

You need to try pretty hard to mess that one up, almost certainly the nicest R8 top I've ever seen.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I’m very impressed with Gibson’s quality in this. Superb guitar
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Tuning is rock solid on mine. No G string issues whatsoever. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We had to clean out the slots on the saddles on some of the batch that we sent out. It they’re not cut super clean, they have an almost sitar like sound to the string. It’s super easy to do though. 
  • Does anyone know why the GG R0 models have different knobs to the Andertons ones?
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    R0 = 1960.  Reflector knobs came in later in 1960, so all R0s have them as a bit of a signature thing  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Twinfan said:
    R0 = 1960.  Reflector knobs came in later in 1960, so all R0s have them as a bit of a signature thing  :)
    Thanks for the info

Andertons R0 1960 models don’t have the reflector knobs and GG do so doesn’t make sense 
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Do they not?  Odd!  As these are all custom runs I guess specs can be changed.  Historically, all R0s had reflectors.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    Twinfan said:
    Thanks for the info

Andertons R0 1960 models don’t have the reflector knobs and GG do so doesn’t make sense 
    I can only see one R0 on the Andertons site and it does have reflectors. Do you have a link?
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    Twinfan said:
    Do they not?  Odd!  As these are all custom runs I guess specs can be changed.  Historically, all R0s had reflectors.
    The True Historic R0s had regular bonnet knobs.
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4293
    edited September 2018
    Right I’ve figured it out. It’s their search function 

When I search for Gibson Les Paul 1960 reissue  it’s the first one that comes up at the top but only shows as a 59 copy  copied the link 
  • Well, mine arrived from Coda Music (who were great by the way - excellent customer service!) and I am so pleased with it. Even better than I was expecting to be honest, so I am delighted. Divorced as a result, but delighted otherwise.

Here it is with its Frankenstein brother that I put together myself.

0reaction image LOL 14reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom