R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited August 2018
    If these were available on 0% finance or whatever its called - even if its only 2.5k why would you get into debt for the sake of a guitar?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited August 2018
    Kitsune said:
    @AndyP - that LP is stunning. Just perfect. I’m not one for the flame and flash, so that top is 10/10.

I didn’t get an R8, despite being in the market for a new axe at the moment.

I’ve found it interesting how people have shot out so much cash too, but different people different money good week for Peach!
    Just to clarify - that’s not my guitar!

I wish it was though and I agree completely on the top / finish.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5228
    edited August 2018
    Be really interested to see if any with two are using this as an opportunity to spin some money later down the line. Good investment opportunity, but I'd be disappointed to see it, personally. Not judging anyone.
    I don't think that's very likely. You might be able to break even with one, but I can't see any appreciation if you sit on it for less than 5 years, and who knows what will happen to the guitar market beyond that.
    ^^ This. Pretty much all of these R8s seem to have plain tops. A lot of the previous runs of R8s were flametops, and some of them very nice looking indeed. I’m not aware of those older R8s selling easily for more than £2.5k, and flametops will always be worth more than plains in the second hand market.

Still, these 2017 R8s are a good deal at that price, especially when you can choose the weight, from enlightened dealers like Peach who always list an accurate weight! 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Philly_Q said:
    I've been watching this thread but trying not to get involved - although I admit I have looked at the Peach website a few times "just to see what's there"....

I don't think I've ever seen a thread on the FB get so many posts over such a short space of time.  It's like a full-on GAS outbreak.
    You are of course forgetting the Amazon 2015 Gibson MY blow out thread (s) 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4026
    If these were available on 0% finance or whatever its called - even if its only 2.5k why would you get into debt for the sake of a guitar?

The 2.5k will earn basic interest in savings (granted, feck all, but it's an old habit for many people) so you make money this way.

Also, if your boiler explodes you still have the money to fix it. Instead of taking a small interest loan for fixing at a higher Apr. 

So part profit, part security.

(I worked in a bank for years, these are the common reasons people give. So many people had eg. 20k in savings, but would take a loan to do the kitchen etc...) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    A few things come to mind with this deal.

Peach had a similar crazy blow out with some AVRI Jaguars 3 years ago and I nabbed one, not because I always hankered for one but because it was a once in a blue moon opportunity to own a no compromise Jag (owning a Squier and saying you’ve done the Jag thing doesn’t really cut it for me). 3 years in I still have it, it’s a great guitar, prob won’t have it for ever but I’ll get my money back when I sell. I almost bought one of these Les Pauls for a similar reason, to tick the no-compromise LP ownership box without losing out on it.

Then there’s the race against time thing that I think some of us feel is coming - high quality guitars are just getting stupid in price. For example new Custom shop Fenders are now coming through more than £3k which I just won’t entertain so snapping up old stock around the £2.5k mark seems like a good deal whilst you can.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4081
    Just think of it like saving up a hundred quid a month, only you get the thing at the start instead of at the end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    andyp said:
    Kitsune said:
    @AndyP - that LP is stunning. Just perfect. I’m not one for the flame and flash, so that top is 10/10.

I didn’t get an R8, despite being in the market for a new axe at the moment.

I’ve found it interesting how people have shot out so much cash too, but different people different money good week for Peach!
    Just to clarify - that’s not my guitar!

I wish it was though and I agree completely on the top / finish.
    Ah yes! @gringopig - lucky man!
  • teradaterada Frets: 5125
    edited August 2018
    joeyowen said:
    Can I ask a money question? I know it's personal... But I'm dying to know if the average person has 2.5k sat for a day like this?

I earn a good salary for my area (although other half isn't working to look after the 2 little ones) so we get by OK, but not exactly thousands spare... 

I could not be further away from having the money for one. Ha

Happy for everyone who has got one for sure! 
    The answer I guess is that for me at least it is not just sitting around, but the combo of the finance, not having kids/dependants to worry about, and gear to sell makes it possible. If my partner and I had kids there'd be no way we'd start buying things like this - priorities right?

As it is, if over a few years the guitar doesn't tick my box and it gets sold for near what I paid, then that is worth it for the years of fun it will bring. This wouldn't be the case for the same item at £3899.

The depreciation/fun cost would be too high.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I certainly couldn't afford a 12 month interest free loan for £2500 at the moment. I did think about getting one and then selling guitars afterwards, but I'd rather have the money ready from the off. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    New MBP or R8........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I've bought mine with cash as I'm saving up to pay off my car loan. Not worth getting the finance for me, the application would reduce my credit score for no real reason and I'd rather keep that high and my search history clear in case I decide to buy a different car.

I have a wife and no kids, a house that's almost owned by us and we both have good jobs. I'm very aware that I'm in a very fortunate position, and it's one that I'm eternally grateful for. 
  • You only live once, enjoy it! If you can afford it, go for it, you deserve it!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    Having bought a new Les Paul BFG a couple of weeks ago, and remembering how much I like Les Pauls having sold my last one over 10 years ago, I was thinking maybe I should have bought a ‘real’ one instead, but the cost of a new Standard didn’t make sense.

At the price these became available, at my upper limit to what I have ever spent on a guitar, I thought to hell with it.

Sure, with a wife, a 5 year old girl and a 1 year old boy, there a probably ‘better’ things to spend the money on but business is good and my wife’s career has taken off in a big way.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited August 2018
    I have a friend who owns at least a dozen electric guitars - including a Custom Shop Les Paul he paid well over £3000 for about 10 years ago. He earns from gigging, doesn’t owe much on his house and both him and his wife earn reasonably well. 

He’d probably credit card something like this and worry about how to pay for it afterwards. I don’t mean that critically or judgementally - he’s just not someone who stresses about money - whereas I do. Different strokes for different folks.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    I have a friend who owns at least a dozen electric guitars - including a Custom Shop Les Paul he paid well over £3000 for about 10 years ago. He earns from gigging, doesn’t owe much on his house and both him and his wife earn reasonably well. 

He’d probably credit card something like this and worry about how to pay for it afterwards. I don’t mean that critically or judgementally - he’s just not someone who stresses about money - whereas I do. Different strokes for different folks.... 
    Personally I would prefer not to finance something like this, if I am going to put it on a credit card, I want to I have no major expenditures coming up soon and I can pay off the balance in 3 months tops.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    edited August 2018
    People get into debt for all sorts of items these days...

How many people here have a mobile phone on a monthly contract?

Pay for a gym/golf club subscription monthly?

Have a car on finance or lease?

Pay the house, car insurance policy etc monthly?

I probably wouldn’t do it with these particular guitars personally - but wouldn’t question someone else’s motives to...

If I was buying a high value guitar - I’d take it on 0% finance if it was offered and the cost of the guitar was the same if I paid outright or took the finance, that £2.5k is better left offsetting my mortgage or even in my current account getting a paltry bit of interest.

So you could equally question why not take advantage of buying a guitar on a 0% deal if it makes it affordable
    for you?
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    If I could afford to buy the guitar cash but there was a 0% finance option I'd take it. Put the money away and use it to pay off the finance each month. Might get a little bit of interest then as well.
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited August 2018
    Worth checking the small print - repayments didn't start until year 2 (20% deposit I think), you could repay in full in the first year with no interest at all, but once the payments kicked in there was a chunk of interest. That was my understanding.

Still, 12 months interest free credit with a get out option ...
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Everyone does things differently I suppose - I personally like to keep things simple and only buy something if I have my money there and ready to go.