What's Hot

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2633
    edited August 2018 tFB Trader
    Whitecat said:
    Rabs said:
    Whitecat said:
    MikeS said:
    Good question, and what surprises me (considering the amount of money this thread has generated) is GG's lack of any input. Very impressed with Peach and Coda, brilliant pro-active customer service,
    Maybe they’re just done with the R8s? Last I checked there was only one left on their site. Loads of R9s but they’re not quite the same bargain. 

From what I know they are still available but nothing is going to be off the shelf any more as such.. Its all made to order.
    I just meant with this specific deal...

Ohh right.... Don't know about that..  I do wonder why this deal has come about (maybe these are the last of the "off the shelf models?)... And after seeing some of the 2019 prices for the USA models, it does indeed make this R8 deal look better and better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    Ossyrocks said:
    terada said:
    Ossyrocks said:
    All gone now at Peach.

I bought the last one, lovely washed cherry at 8 lbs 12 oz.

Rob
    You got a second?
    Errrr, might have.....it's all a bit of a blur. 
    Congrats - have to say though, this is not helping me steer clear of a second purchase :o
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28090

I was planning a trip to Peach tomorrow (though not for an R8).

Looks like they're going to be too busy packing things  into large cardboard boxes to deal with people turning up at the shop.

I tried to count how many of these had sold to forum members, but it got too confusing when people started buying multiples ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    Ossyrocks said:

But, they will age and fade because they have used the correct aniline dyes. 
    I'm not sure about that - I don't think they use non-colourfast aniline dyes on the tops. The back maybe.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17004
    Ossyrocks said:
    Wonder what it is about cherry that gets them left on the shelf?
    They just don't look aged. It's the colour they would have had straight out of the factory in 1958.

There are still some vintage guitars which have been kept out of sunlight that show this vibrant colour.

Rob
    I don't think they are anywhere near as vibrant as they would have been straight from the factory.   its still a recreation of an older finish, just not one that has seen a lot of sunlight.

All of gibsons bursts seem to favour the brown over the red

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5523
    Rabs said:
    Whitecat said:
    Rabs said:
    Whitecat said:
    MikeS said:
    Good question, and what surprises me (considering the amount of money this thread has generated) is GG's lack of any input. Very impressed with Peach and Coda, brilliant pro-active customer service,
    Maybe they’re just done with the R8s? Last I checked there was only one left on their site. Loads of R9s but they’re not quite the same bargain. 

From what I know they are still available but nothing is going to be off the shelf any more as such.. Its all made to order.
    I just meant with this specific deal...

Ohh right.... Don't know about that..  I do wonder why this deal has come about (maybe these are the last of the "off the shelf models?)... And after seeing some of the 2019 prices for the USA models, it does indeed make this R8 deal look better and better.
    Gibson overstock and the necessity of cash flow at a precarious moment in their history, no doubt. Suspect these models made up the bulk of their CS output last year - with slight spec variations here and there - and they’ve just got some they need to get out of the channel as 2019 is imminent, and if the focus going forward is indeed M2M then they probably don’t want them on shop pegs either.

The more I read about 2017s in general the sweeter this deal gets. They are actually ridiculously high-spec for this money. 
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1679
    Brize said:
    Ossyrocks said:

I'm not sure about that - I don't think they use non-colourfast aniline dyes on the tops. The back maybe.
    You might be right, but I’m not too concerned.

The 2014 R0 I had did fade considerably over about a year. Richard Henry commented on it when he saw it, after seeing it new about 10 months previously. That guitar was kept out on a stand in quite a light music room, so it did see sunshine.

Something everyone may like to consider too, is keeping these out of the cases for a while. My experience of new historics, is that the lacquer is still hardening, and keeping them out speeds up that process. It probably takes a year to reach it’s final hardness. 

This is is why some people complain of “sticky necks”. Virtuoso Guitar Polish is also useful on the back of the neck on the VOS finish. It really keeps them slick.

Rob
  • TTony said:

I was planning a trip to Peach tomorrow (though not for an R8).

Looks like they're going to be too busy packing things  into large cardboard boxes to deal with people turning up at the shop.

I tried to count how many of these had sold to forum members, but it got too confusing when people started buying multiples ...

We should be ok. We’re open on the bank holiday as well, which give us extra time to get everything ready for despatch on Tuesday. Jeff, Scott and Ryan will be the main sales guys tomorrow 
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2461
    Why aren't the certificates saying R8? Is this why they are cheaper? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    ^
  • peachguitarsdotcompeachguitarsdotcom Frets: 456
    edited August 2018
    Strat54 said:
    Why aren't the certificates saying R8? Is this why they are cheaper? 
    No. It’s because Gibson Europe had a mix of nearly 300 58, 59 and 60 spec guitars sat in boxes doing nothing and Gibson Custom gave them the authorisation to get in the money!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They decided in their infinite wisdom in 2017 to call them “standards” which they would’ve been in the 50’s. The first number in the serial designates the year. The guy who made that decision was fired 
    5reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5523
    They decided in their infinite wisdom in 2017 to call them “standards” which they would’ve been in the 50’s. The first number in the serial designates the year. The guy who made that decision was fired 
    Isn’t he staying on as “interim” CEO until they find a replacement on the other side of their bankruptcy? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2461
    Ahh thanks for that, I see now. Silly bloke, not his finest hour then. I'm sure their accountants will be happy to see those $$'s come back home. 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    @peachguitars What is the situation for items posted over the weekend. Can guitars still get to us for Monday/Tuesday?
  • terada said:
    @peachguitars What is the situation for items posted over the weekend. Can guitars still get to us for Monday/Tuesday?
    You'll be lucky for Monday!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • Whitecat said:
    They decided in their infinite wisdom in 2017 to call them “standards” which they would’ve been in the 50’s. The first number in the serial designates the year. The guy who made that decision was fired 
    Isn’t he staying on as “interim” CEO until they find a replacement on the other side of their bankruptcy? ;)
    No, not him! Ha 
  • terada said:
    Everything ordered from Friday onwards will be despatched Tuesday for Wednesday. There’s a bank holiday in the way and those Saturday/Sunday delivery services are somewhat reminiscent of a chocolate Teapot 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24582
    terada said:
    Everything ordered from Friday onwards will be despatched Tuesday for Wednesday. There’s a bank holiday in the way and those Saturday/Sunday delivery services are somewhat reminiscent of a chocolate Teapot 
    Mmmm chocolate tea...
  • If we would’ve sent on Friday, it wouldn’t have turned up until Tuesday and it would’ve meant it stayed in a delivery depot for 3 days, which usually means inconsistent temperature and humidity plus a higher chance of theft and breakage. Trust me, I know!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom