R8 Peach Deal

What's Hot

Comments

• Poop! Warehouse chaps just informed me that i've jumped the gun. TNT have them now
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1157
    head them off at the pass!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • head them off at the pass!
    They'd probably give them back for a tenner #bloodycouriers
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8221
    Whitecat said:i
    Twinfan said:
    Whitecat said:

That one was probably my favourite of the Dirty Lemons...
    It was my favourite looker, but I've seen/owned/played lots of 8.5lb to 9lb Les Pauls over the years.  An 8lb solid body is a rare thing, so I've gone for what I think will be something different tonally.  Lighter, airier with no mud is what I'm hoping for as I don't get on with thicker more compressed tones.  I like something I can get light and shade from.
    Indeed - look forward to hearing your tone report. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an 8lb non-chambered LP available for sale, so it’s a cool score. 

I’m just pleased mine is under 8.5... trade off for the mad near-R9 grade top on it I guess, and still not even the heaviest of the lot. 
    Mine is 8 lb 1. 87452. Surprised it lasted as long as it did...
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 497
    Poop! Warehouse chaps just informed me that i've jumped the gun. TNT have them now
    Lols that was short lived :)
  • The one I had in my basket has sold. Oh well too late

Will see what they have next week 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16982
    Schnozz said:
    Iamnobody said:
    This thread is hilarious - everyone wanking over Gibson’s for a change instead of slagging them off for various reasons including the alleged poor QC.
    And then you look at two face, where they put plaintop with flame...So much for bookmatching.

I'll be the consistent moaner in this thread, while you lot wank away. 

I want one of those Vigier swirls anyhow (but with a Floyd rose).
    Gibson didn’t bookmatch a lot of the vintage stuff, it’s often slip matched.

the two tone look of that top is likely due to it being rift sawn.  Easy to prove if this is the case as the effect will flip from the opposite direction.  It does look like it’s come from the same piece of wood to me.i think the little bit of flame is on both sides, but will only pop from certain angles

This can happen even on book match tops. in fact perfect bookmatching will lead to it happening to each individual flame... whatever is dark on one side will be light on the other.

its an aesthetic choice that is correct for the period this is claiming to copy, definitely not a flaw
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    WezV said:
    Schnozz said:

And then you look at two face, where they put plaintop with flame...So much for bookmatching.

the two tone look of that top is likely due to it being rift sawn.  Easy to prove if this is the case as the effect will flip from the opposite direction.  It does look like it’s come from the same piece of wood to me.i think the little bit of flame is on both sides, but will only pop from certain angles

This can happen even on book match tops. in fact perfect bookmatching will lead to it happening to each individual flame... whatever is dark on one side will be light on the other.

its an aesthetic choice that is correct for the period this is claiming to copy, definitely not a flaw
    Exactly.  It's bookmatched, you can see the mild flame across the join in the pic below.  As Wez says, it's down to the way the maple block was sawn from the log.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheGASManTheGASMan Frets: 392
    Thank you @peachguitars - I snaffled a Washed cherry to go with the iced tea I got last month and the Slash Anaconda I got 2nd hand - Back in love with LPs for now
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 781
    Twinfan said:
    Whitecat said:

Indeed - look forward to hearing your tone report. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an 8lb non-chambered LP available for sale, so it’s a cool score. 
    Me neither, so that's what swung me in the end  :)

I like the distinct sides of the top too, I'm calling it "Two Face":

Thats what did it for me, mines 8.1 lb, i don't think ive ever held one lighter than that, my strats weigh more  
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16082
    edited August 2018
    Guys, are these prices what you would expect to pay for a used 2017 CS LP 58?
    tae be or not tae be
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2354
    I think that's what they are saying but for the immediate future I doubt people who knew about this sale would pay that.
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited August 2018
    Well mines here, and I'm pleased, I don't have scales, but it's not heavy as I was scared it would be, so delighted. Here are a couple of rough photos. Certificate simply says "LP Standard", but inside the cavity is "R8". Very well set up. I think this is the one GG were demoing on FB yesterday, and it plays very nicely, and yes, it's a '59 neck profile.

and one from GG...

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4294
    edited August 2018
    MikeS said:
    Well mines here, and I'm pleased, I don't have scales, but it's not heavy as I was scared it would be, so delighted. Here are a couple of rough photos. Certificate simply says "LP Standard", but inside the cavity is "R8". Very well set up. I think this is the one GG were demoing on FB yesterday, and it plays very nicely, and yes, it's a '59 neck profile.

and one from GG...

Looks lovely buddy congrats

I wonder why the COA is saying Standard and not R8?

Does it feel and play much different than that of a les Paul standard production model? 
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    Be interesting to see what other folks certificates say.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 781
    MikeS said:
    Mines the same Mike, LP standard
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Congrats @MikeS I'm glad that worked out for you. Looks much better in your own photos as I suspected it would :-)

Fingers crossed for mine tomorrow. I'm not fussed about weight really so who knows, maybe you dodged a bullet :-)
  • They say "LP Standard" because it's what they were called when they were around in the 50's. I know it's another confusing thing with Gibson but they just wanted to go back to how it was originally done. The digit at the start of the serial number gives it its year designation.
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    I’ve read that they all say LP Standard in the certificate for 2017s but they are still R8/R9 etc.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    MikeS said:
    All 2017 Custom Shop Les Paul reissues just say LP Standard, regardless of whether the guitar is an R8, R9, etc.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom